The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Driver's door won't open inside or outside

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsu-MattGSX

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The drivers door to my 1G decided to stop engaging today. Not even from the inside. When I put my key in the door handle lock there was no resistance when twisted either way. My guess is the latch somehow disengaged itself. I also have to hold the passenger side in the unlock position to open it as it will automatically lock itself for reasons unbeknownst to me. But how do I get at the latch when the door is stuck closed and I can't take off the panel? Getting in and out of the window is kinda a pain.

Seems like the connector for the catch might of popped off, might be a pain but need to try get down the window area to open it and then can pull the door card/cover off

need to try get down the window area to open it and then can pull the door card/cover off
How do I get at this? Roll the window down and stick a coat hanger down there?

Well as you know, the 1g has no lock or unlock switch. So the way it locks or unlocks is by the driver's door lock position. My guess is the rod for the lock came off in the locked position. Can you pull the lock on the door panel in the unlock position?

I can push that lock/unlock tab on the door panel to unlock but it'll snap right back to lock. Also as I push that to unlock and push on the door from the inside while pulling the handle it does not budge. I have a new door panel, I'm thinking of just butchering the thing to get to the lock.

Pull the fuse for the electric locks and see if it allows you in.

I agree, pull the fuse or unhook the battery. That's probably what's getting you

The lock cylinder has a position sensor on the back side of it that controls the locks. When you turn the lock cylinder with the key it rotates the sensor and tells it to "lock" or "unlock" sounds like that sensor fell off the back of the cylinder and is stuck in the lock position. I've had this happen before. If you can pull the sensor up enough to rotate it (through the window crack) that will stop it from constantly locking which will hopefully allow the latch to operate.

Ended up being this stretched out spring that was preventing me from opening the door. Tore off the old panel. Did the surgery of replacing this latch assembly and the pain of connecting that door handle latch. Whoever designed this door, I hate your guts. Buttoned it all up and put the new door panel on.

Attachments

• IMG_20180828_164833.jpg
    IMG_20180828_164833.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 97
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back