The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Days 1 to 5 ... Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpawnedX

Banned Member
May 18, 2004
West Warwick, Rhode_Island
Day 1.2
December 3, 2010

The Talon sold today for $2,600.00 to a guy by the name of KC from New Bedford, MA. Combined with the $2,600.00 I had saved for the paint job, I now have $5,200.00. It's the holidays so I was looking to spend only $5,000.00.

cashmoney.jpg

5 Large, Benjamin Franklin Style

The problem now was finding the car for me. I figured I was in the price range to grab a 95, 96 or 97. A 98 would be nice and a 99 was just a pipe dream. I found a 1997 Talon TSI AWD in Dartmouth, MA on a local forum and the car was billed as "clean" and "no rust."

I took the day out of work to drive up there and check it out. And this is what I found...

tsirust.jpg

So much for rust free.

From here I posted a WTB ad on my favorite local forum, New England DSM. Then I put up a quick one on Craigslist.com, not expecting any hits.

A few hours later and e-mails with some advertisements found along the east coast and I get an e-mail fron a kid named John in Woonsocket, RI. He has a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with minimal modifications that he is considering sellig, asks me what I am looking to spend. I tell him my dollar limit and he sends me a link to some pictures.

http://www.mitsu-media.com/showthread.php?t=7972&highlight=fall+pics

gsx01.jpg

gsx02.jpg

gsx03.jpg

gsx06.jpg

gsx10.jpg

gsx11.jpg

gsx12.jpg

gsx17.jpg

Now I am really interested. No way this car can be this clean at that price, nevermind the fact that it has the rare black leather interior!

John let's me know about the modson the car now:

• Thermal R&D 3" Exhaust
  • Dejon Tool Red Intake Pipe
  • Dejon Tool Hard Intercooler Piping
  • K&N Filter with Adapter
  • ASA AR1 Wheels & Triangle Tires
  • Prosport Boost Gauge
  • GReddy BOV (Type RS)

We exchange numbers and head to bed for the evening.

Day 2.2

John and I communicate throughout the day about meeting on Sunday after I get out of work to look at the car.

Day 3.2- The Purchase

So I head out to see the car after I get out of work at 9 PM. I bring my trusty flashlight and try not to get my hopes up.

The car is phenomenal! It has almost no rust, clean all over. The engine runs smooth and on the drive the transmission is excellent, as is the rest of the drivetrain components. I have to have this car.

No bullshit, I tell him I am sold and I want the car. I hand him the money, we arrange the paperwork and I drive the car home from Woonsocket to my place in West Warwick.

Day 4.2

I examine the car better in the light. It has a few paint imperfections that will require some touch up paint. Other than that, car is gorgeous. I head to work.

John and myself exhange text messages again. I ask him to be up front with me and go over the problems he is aware of. He is happy to do so, he is a good guy in my book.

• Car needs a new front, right wheel hub and bearing assembly. This is relatively obvious from the noise and feedback in the steering wheel.
  • Sometimes the coolant overflow reservoir overflows. Thermostat was replaced, as was gasket to waterpump pipe and compression is good.

Later that evening I order a new OEM radiator cap from ExtremePSI.com. This is the most likely suspect in the coolant overflowing issue, as the car does not overheat.

Day 5.2 - Today

I begin the process of ordering what is needed for repair and precaution.

I start off with the wheel and hub bearing assemblies. After some searching I found a guy locally to me who has 2 Timken front hub and bearing assemblies. They only have 30 miles on them. He wants $100.00 for them and I am all too happy to oblige.

I pull the black center console frommy GST to replace the broken and cut one (has cigarette lighter cut out for boost gauge). Mine also has a nice red stitched leather shift boot. To round it off I grab my brand new OEM heavy leather shift knob.

Pictures coming soon.

Next I begin my search for a B&M short shifter, not maintenance or preventative, but they are becoming more and more rare. I locate a used one for $70.00 shipped.

I drive the car tonight and realize when shifting to third it feels notchy. It doesn't grind our make any transmission noise, but in the shifter I feel some sort of hitch when shifting, mostly downshifting. I need to figure out what I need for that.

And this is where we stand for now...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back