The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G crank spun while doing valve seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbodhi

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2015
Olathe, Kansas
hey guys, I'm working on my 2g and when I tried to pressurize the cylinder so I could compress the spring, the crank spun. I don't know which direction it spun and I don't know if that means I now have to do timing. I unbolted the cam gears from the cams and had the belt still on it. I didn't see the timing belt move but I saw the accessory belts move. also should note that my cams where out when it spun so the only thing that moved was the crank.

No better safe here at all. Engine must be retimed. Would be better to move piston out of the way, finish the valve work, reinstall cams then retime as appropriate

Retime for sure. They have a little plastic tool that can lock the cams in position for stuff like this in the future. Its a pretty basic part of timing tool kits.

Retime for sure. They have a little plastic tool that can lock the cams in position for stuff like this in the future. Its a pretty basic part of timing tool kits.

He did note that his cams were out when this happened, so the cam tool wouldn't have helped. I do agree if you meant that if the cams were in though.

little bit of a snag on the last cylinder (wouldn't you know it), when I went to install the last of the intake seals, they were too big and just slid down the valve stem, I've since bought another pack of valve seals from the local auto part store and installed 2 on there and they seem to fit just like all the others. The exhaust seals from the initial pack fit just fine though so I used those without a hitch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back