The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

converting to non-pop up headlights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGB Pilot125

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2002
Centennial, Colorado
I would like to convert my GSX to non pop ups and also install a front bumper that has a larger opening than stock for the FMIC but I dont want it to look like rice or too agresive just a bit bigger than stock.

so form the junk yard I would need the hood, and the head lights, anything else?

Originally posted by KGB Pilot125
I would like to convert my GSX to non pop ups and also install a front bumper that has a larger opening than stock for the FMIC but I dont want it to look like rice or too agresive just a bit bigger than stock.

so form the junk yard I would need the hood, and the head lights, anything else?

I think you will also need fenders as the corner lights are different.

Also, IMO, putting ANY different front bumper than stock on a 1g will look ricey. Some people have cut their stock bumper up top so more of the intercooler is exposed which, I think, looks good if it's functional...

what do you guys think about the white one in the middle on the top on
http://www.asylumms.com/ under 90-94 eclipse page or the white one farther down where it shows the whole car. any pics of these any where else. or just pics of stock bumper cut up?

Keep the pop ups. They look so much better and so is the look on someone face when they realize they just got owned by someone with pop ups. Plus for the conversion, you will need: both fenders, radiator support piece, headlights, hood, front bumper, and all the wiring connections, and paint. It isn't a easy or cheap swap to do.

My car was a 91 talon, i do love the pop-ups and back's but the pop's on my car were pissin me off, i changed the back too, i liked the bumpers better than the 91 so i changed the whole dam thing, here's a picture of the back too!
The work: you got to cut the supports out of a 92 and rip out
the old ones....a little cutting and welding. not fun! actually its a pain in the ass but at the end it came out good so it was worth it.
Your going to need fenders, hood, bumper, lights from a 92 , but it cost me next to nothing, found my color car w/a blown motor for $500 even got nice black leather seats out of it. and a hood and bumper and fender forom the junk yard cheap. Honestly i wouldn't do it again!

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 245
I've seen Miata pop-up conversions that replace the square large bulbs with 2 small projectors. It looks pimp, is functional as it reduces drag, and is a custom touch likely rivaling the difficulty of the swap you suggested.

check out these,its only $150 mrbeast.com, i like pop ups.but if i did change them i would do this it looks pretty smooth.

there is a thread on dsmtalk about doing this.
the kid has been working on the mold for 4 months.
he is perfecting his methods and a great quality product will arise.
cheap too, which makes us happy. definately worth the wait.

<-- Currently in the process of doing the swap and making a complete guide. Expect this up in 3 weeks with extensive pictures, instructions, and basic faq's.

off topic but I guy in Flint Michigan (ben) is sellin me both fenders/hood/lamps/ (maybe front bumper) from a 92 laser for like 100 bucks.

They are the wrong color and have some dings. but nothing some bondo/glaze coat/paint can't fix.

My personal opinion if you have the "TIME" and the skill to do it. Go for it. But if your going to pay some fat ass in a body shop to do, its not worth your money. My current Budget for the entire conversion is under $300 dollars. But Iam pretty sure you get somone at a shop to do it you'll be looking at over $800

So just think, Is it really worth it? I mean there is plenty you can do with pop-ups, ie like said be4 some dude is working on a new light system for the pop-ups and I am pretty sure the molds are nearly complete.

Well Good Luck and I hope u deciede if you want to do it or not.

is it possible to throw a 92-94 carbonfiber hood on a 91 and screw the pop ups and just use the lower lights with higher grade bulbs?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back