The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Spyder Convertible top folds up crooked.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeym

Probationary Member
Jan 15, 2019
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
Picked up a 1999 Spyder convertible 2 weeks ago... Looking forward to nice weather.

I've used the convertible top twice - once when I bought it (and weather was warmer) and 2nd time in my garage.

Upon going down and going up w/ power - there is a cracking noise from the passenger side of the car - and if using the power button - the top will fold up crooked with the passenger side higher than the drivers side by about 2 inches...

Also the top does not fold in nicely behind the seats - it stays a little unfolded like an accordion... If I push down on it, it goes down a little bit, but then slowly comes back up....

Can anyone suggest where to start?

Picked up a 1999 Spyder convertible 2 weeks ago... Looking forward to nice weather.

I've used the convertible top twice - once when I bought it (and weather was warmer) and 2nd time in my garage.

Upon going down and going up w/ power - there is a cracking noise from the passenger side of the car - and if using the power button - the top will fold up crooked with the passenger side higher than the drivers side by about 2 inches...

Also the top does not fold in nicely behind the seats - it stays a little unfolded like an accordion... If I push down on it, it goes down a little bit, but then slowly comes back up....

Can anyone suggest where to start?

Two common points of failure with these tops, the motors (there is a pin that shears off), and the strap that keeps the bars spaced out properly.

I'd start there

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back