The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Cleveland area check-in!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueEagle

Probationary Member
Jun 7, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys, admin of Northeast Import/Domestic Ohio on Facebook! Just purchased a 95 Talon TSI. Looking to meet up with other DSM owners to cruise around and go to meets with. Just shoot me a PM or post here with your ride and where you're from!

Dave from Solon. Just bought a 98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T. The car is totally bone stock under the hood. NOT A SINGLE MODIFICATION has ever been made to it. Just routine maintenance.

I had one when I was younger and couldn't pass it up when I came across this one the other week.

Anyone have a local mechanic they trust?

Dave from Solon. Just bought a 98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T. The car is totally bone stock under the hood. NOT A SINGLE MODIFICATION has ever been made to it. Just routine maintenance.
I had one when I was younger and couldn't pass it up when I came across this one the other week.
Anyone have a local mechanic they trust?

Welcome Dave! Sounds like a good one, as it's pretty hard to find one that's not been messed with. I have learned a long time ago that the only mechanic you can trust with one of these cars is yourself. Nobody wants to work on these cars and even if they do, most really don't know what they're doing. Learn to work on it yourself and it will be much more enjoyable and rewarding, not to mention cheaper. Good luck! :thumb:

I want to learn, but I am not super mechanically inclined (Software Developer). I had a 96 GS Spyder my mom bought me years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer and thought she was going to die. She outlived that car, and when I found this one from California (rust free) I had to grab it.

Right now the car drives but threw a code for the upstream O2 sensor (which will be delivered tomorrow, along with a downstream). I planned on changing that out myself, as I ordered the O2 socket.

I drove the car today to get the VIN inspected and it threw a new code for a misfire on cylinder #1. I assume this has happened due to the O2 issue and me driving it 3 hours back from Michigan, which has caused the spark plugs to foul.

However it could be a bad coil pack, or a bad injector, and there may possibly be a vacuum leak.

While I do know what the problems may be, I am hesitant to start wrenching unsupervised.

If anyone local wants to make friends and teach a guy to fish so to speak I am in Solon, I have plenty of beer, and am willing to trade for design/dev services.

Thanks and glad to be back in the DSM world... (maybe) ;-)

Just so everyone can see how original and clean it is

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_5602-1.png
    IMG_5602-1.png
    944.8 KB · Views: 131
Looks good Dave! I would start like you're doing and replace the o2 sensors and see what happens. You may want to throw in some new plugs while you're at it just so you know they're new. Just make sure you run NGK BPR6ES or one step colder BPR7ES gapped to .028". I prefer the 7's even in a stock setup like yours. I don't get up to your area very often, but if you're ever in the Akron/Canton area I would be more than happy to give you a hand or help you with any questions you may have. Send me a private message if you want any time at all.

Hi, Mike from Mentor, 90 talon... Always looking to meet up and/or cruise and meet fellow DSMers. Willing to help out too. Hope you figure out your problem Dave. GRAVEDIGGER's right start with the o2 sensors and then see where your at. Process of elimination before jumping to unneeded conclusions.

Car is happy now for the most part although I still have no idea where that one vacuum hose is going off the intake toward the back of the engine.

For the time being (Although I know it is WRONG) I put a breather filter on the valve cover to minimally catch any blow by.

I needed a new fuel injector and while it was being replaced I changed out the Plugs to the recommended NGKs and gapped them to .28, changed out to MSD wires, replaced both O2 sensors, changed the oil and added lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. The car is running well, no CEL, and passed E-Check so I got my plates today!

On the downside, the IAC is wonky. Car is idling between 1K and 1300K and I have no way to fix this as I have no scantool, dsmlink or ecu monitoring tool to lock the IAC at 30 so I can then manually adjust the BISS properly.

Anyone local have the tools to help me sort this out? I can meet up with you at your discretion.

I found where the hose was going, nowhere! it was stuck under some stuff which I found when I pulled out the stock intake to replace it with an Injen. Everything is fixed and all hoses are routed properly again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back