The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Carbonetics AB Hood (Pictures)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielsl1999gsx

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2009
los angles, California
I thought I'd share some of my insight on the carbonetics "AB" hood for the 2g platform. All in all, its a great looking and functional hood but it is by no means a bolt on affair. I chose to go with fiberglass because I didnt feel like spending an extra 200 bucks for carbon fiber and I wanted it to match my car. So since I was planning on painting it, fiberglass just made more sense.
The first snag I ran into was the hood hinge bolts. They were not the oem size so I had to source some smaller bolts with washer for it to bolt on correctly. Next, there was no hole for the prop rod to sit in so that had to be cut out. Now the scariest snag about this hood is that it does not clear the timing cover meaning you have to cut it. This is worse for the carbon fiber guys so may god be with your hands as you take a cutting wheel to this hood. The cut needed is fairly big but it doesn't look too bad with the black contrast of the timing cover. However, you can get away with running no timing cover but that just leaves your TB expose to the elements which I do not recommend. And lastly, just like any other lightweight hood it needs some sort of hood pin for safety so that means more cutting... But when it's all said and done this hood is freaking awesome. I totally would recommend it to anyone! Anyways enjoy.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also dont forget to check out and subscribe to my Youtube Channel "TheBudgetTuner" for more 4g63 content!

Looks nice. You did a bang up job. Never been a fan off cutting up the front bumper though. Think your ride would look even better if you'd go back to stock. Never could figure the point for the bumper cutout either.

You should have wrote this in the product review section, good review

I figured it was more of a "show off" article, so didnt know where to place it. Admins are welcome to move it.

Looks nice. You did a bang up job. Never been a fan off cutting up the front bumper though. Think your ride would look even better if you'd go back to stock. Never could figure the point for the bumper cutout either.
I actually have a stock bumper getting painted as we speak. The bumper cutouts were made to channel in more air to the radiator. However, i dont think they do a good job at it LOL... This bumper and hood are my summer/track setup. I'll have my original hood and other stock bumper ready for the rainy season.

Looks good. Funny how you had to cut it for the timing cover. I can't tell you how many people I have explained too that the factory hood bulge is a needed functional thing on the 4g63 cars. To which most people respond "Ya that's where the turbo goes right?" LOL

Thank you for the review. I really love this hood as it looks good and works as necessary. How much does it weight?

I wasn't aware that it did not fit over the timing cover. Must be non turbo models that i've seen pictures of.

Where did you order this from? Couldn't find it on their website.

I think those holes look good but more importantly are functional and needed. Not needed with side mount but once you go front mount all the air gets hogged up by intercooler. I say keep the holes.

Just got my hood today.

1)any chance you recall what size bolts you used for the hinges?

As to the weight comment. I also went with fiberglass as I will be painting it also.
And I can pick up the hood with 2 fingers. Where as my stock hood it takes both hands. I really wasn't expecting it to be as lite as it is.

Edit:
Stock hood bolts look to be - M8x1.25
I got 2 types of new bolts to try:
-M6x1.00
-1/4x20
The bolt holes look like wood blocks with fiberglass over it.

Last edited:
Update - I ended up tapping the holes for a 1/4-20 by 3/4" length bolt. With a washer and a lock washer just like the oem bolts.

The holes as it turns out are actually wood that has metal tubing or something metal placed in them (didn't see till I started tapping and metal shavings came out). Which was nice and made me feel more comfortable. The bolt holes lined up perfect with the stock OEM hood hinges when I mounted it to the car.
I'll install my hood pins and make the slot for the hood prop. Sunday then paint once all of that's done.
I'll be using this thread for placement of my hood pins. http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/aerocatch-latches-where-does-this-car-have-it-mounted.419648/

Last edited:
why dont you use your rad support bracket hole area?
Update - I ended up tapping the holes for a 1/4-20 by 3/4" length bolt. With a washer and a lock washer just like the oem bolts.

The holes as it turns out are actually wood that has metal tubing or something metal placed in them (didn't see till I started tapping and metal shavings came out). Which was nice and made me feel more comfortable. The bolt holes lined up perfect with the stock OEM hood hinges when I mounted it to the car.
I'll install my hood pins and make the slot for the hood prop. Sunday then paint once all of that's done.
I'll be using this thread for placement of my hood pins. http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/aerocatch-latches-where-does-this-car-have-it-mounted.419648/
Use the stock rad bracket location as its boltd and super strong!

I was actually going to go 2" to the left of that picture. In the space between the headlight and radiator bracket.

I was just looking at my hood before coming to work.

Anyone with aerocatch latches chime in please. The flatest part of the AB is actually right where John Freund Mounted his (middle of the 2 headlight bolts).

Do the latches require a really flat area?

The spot by the radiator brackets on this hood have a raised area and not sure if it'll be flat the full length of the latches.

Also if anyone has pictires of the Driver side locations they used please post up.

Its pretry flat but looks good with no big holes in between,

I think i looked all over the place and that place you was looking at had a spot weld and metal underneath so i avoided that area, i found thisnwas a great place and was easy to tap the nut inside

Just got my hood today.

1)any chance you recall what size bolts you used for the hinges?

As to the weight comment. I also went with fiberglass as I will be painting it also.
And I can pick up the hood with 2 fingers. Where as my stock hood it takes both hands. I really wasn't expecting it to be as lite as it is.

Edit:
Stock hood bolts look to be - M8x1.25
I got 2 types of new bolts to try:
-M6x1.00
-1/4x20
The bolt holes look like wood blocks with fiberglass over it.

I have a huge box of bolts from past part outs and I used some 10mm bolt/washer combo from an Evo 8 that I had cut up. They fit perfectly and are just the right length.

Also wondering if you used some sort of thermal barrier to protect the underside of the hood?
Thought maybe the same stuff I used for my oil pan might work? DEI Reflective pad

Nope, I'm running the hood as it came from Carbonetics. I do however have heat shields on everything that can have a heat shield.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back