The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Budget brake upgrade for the N/A

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patman

5+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2017
Budapest, Europe
Hi!

I'm currently turboing an N/A eclipse, and well, the factory brakes look very small now to do the job. I read about some budget builds with 3000gt or evo brakes, but those cars are not very common to find in Europe. I also found out that the Mitsubishi Outlander rotors are compatible, does this also apply to calipers, and brake pads? Or do you know any other common car that is good for the upgrade? I'm kinda on a budget, so that's why I'm looking for common cars, even a scrap 3000gt costs a fortune around here :|

@Kryndon can assist you i think as he is in europe, well closer anyway, he just done a caliper upgrade on a tight budget also,

Hi Pat!

Well you have a few options you could take. In short, they are:

1. Stock 2G dual-piston front calipers with 276mm disc and pads. (bolt on)

2. 2005-2006 Outlander brake calipers with 296mm disc. (bolt on)

3. 3000GT/GTO/Stealth 4-piston brake calipers. However, there are two different models. The only difference is how far forward the caliper sits, the shorter caliper can use the 313mm disc (the one I used), and the longer caliper can use the 330mm disc. I believe the shorter brake calipers come on 1991-1994 models. Three important things to keep in mind with this upgrade is that you will be force to run a minimum of 17" diameter wheel, and the offset should be no less than +38 (and 8" width). Otherwise there is a chance that the wheel spokes will rub/hit the front of the caliper. (This also applies to the Brembo calipers from EVOs). Additionally, the brake line that goes into the caliper is different, so you will need to have 2 new flexible lines made. And lastly, you will need an adaptor bracket in order to mount the calipers, as the DSM knuckles have a 130mm bolt spacing on the mounting holes, and the caliper has 160mm. So custom brackets are needed. I have all of this explained in my upgrade post on my DSM build thread.

4. EVO 4+ Brembo 4-piston calipers. Arguably this is one of the more expensive brake upgrades. You can run a 320mm disc with those, and the brake lines are bolt on, however this time not only will you need the bigger wheels, but you will also need to get the 160mm knuckles from a Galant. @ec17pse can help you out with those if you choose to go that way.

Of course, you can use many other brake calipers and discs, but it will require even more custom stuff, which becomes very expensive. These are the most common brake upgrades that are done.

Personally I went with option 3, which cost me about 300 US dollars, or if you're Hungarian, about 84,000 HUF. If you choose to go this way, I can help you out with the custom brackets, and I can point you to what discs/pads to get and help you find calipers from Ebay UK. Feel free to PM me for any more questions!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wow, you really know your stuff! Thanks for the help, first I think I'll try and go with option 2. I mainly searched german sources for 3000gt brakes, they wanted 800 eur for a set of brakes OMG So i think I will look around my local sracpyards and try to find an Outlander.

I tagged Kryndon as he made his own brackets and as he is in europe could help with calipers perhaps plus he used to live down to road from me and he is a great guy aswel. so he can help out alot,

I can too but the UK seem to ask alot of money for junk ad used parts which is stupid but then again UK folks are just greedy LOL

Thanks for the help guys, I found some Outlanders, so I'll start asking around tomorrow, maybe I can even go under that 300$ dollar budget :) I dont need that much performance I just think my factory discs look ridiculously small behind the 18" rims, and now, with the turbo they might be unsafe too for the roads..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After looking around myself, I found a set of front left and right dual piston calipers from a 2005 outlander, for 8,800 forint each. so about 17k forint for both. I think that's a good price. Tell me if you would like me to link you the ad. It's in Bulgarian but at least you can cross reference the currencies. Also shipping from me to you will be 5k forint, with DPD.

wow that is really a good price, send me the link, I'll ask around tomorrow myself, and see which is the best option. Thanks for the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back