The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Broken turbo to mani bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMatt209

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2015
Danville, Indiana
Was torqueing down the turbo to mani bolts to spec to make sure they were tight, one of them sheared. The previous owner ran a bit and bolt through the turbo. So i have 3 out of 4 bolts.

Actually decided to use a bolt from my other car! Forgot I had it apart. Atleast now I’ll have all oem for it. But since that bolt is out should I loosen the others then retorque? What’s the procedure for this

I guess I should mention the gasket I have on there is the 6 ply one from extreme psi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Extreme psi and other articles here on tuners say 40-47 ft lbs for the turbo to mani bolts, but my question really is I have 3 of the bolts torqued down and now have a replacement for the 4th that broke. Should I put the 4th in and torque it down, or loosen the others then retorque them all? Since usually you torque cross cross

you should be fine with just putting in the missing bolt and torque it down. But it will only take an extra minuite or two to loosen and retorque all of them so why not.

Extreme psi and other articles here on tuners say 40-47 ft lbs for the turbo to mani bolts, but my question really is I have 3 of the bolts torqued down and now have a replacement for the 4th that broke. Should I put the 4th in and torque it down, or loosen the others then retorque them all? Since usually you torque cross cross
You're welcome to do that but be ready for those to break too ;) Always put anti-seize on those and torque them correctly.

You're welcome to do that but be ready for those to break too ;) Always put anti-seize on those and torque them correctly.

I don’t think they’ll break honestly, they were not the tightest to begin with, the bolt that broke was not oem. It was much thinner bolt than oem most likely cheap hardware store stuff. I’ll just torque up the last one and send it I don’t wanna risk anything haha

I would suggest always replacing all turbo bolts with new oem ones and the washers again with all oem ones anytime you have the turbo off, and use anti seize on them after running a thread chaser thorough the holes.

You're lucky only 1 of your bolts sheared, I only have 1 holding my turbo on now since 1 broke and the other 2 are stripped. It's a huge annoying, loud, Honda-sounding exhaust leak. Make sure all 4 get torqued even if you ha e to re-torque the others.

I would suggest always replacing all turbo bolts with new oem ones and the washers again with all oem ones anytime you have the turbo off, and use anti seize on them after running a thread chaser thorough the holes.
Where do u find them for cars old as ours. I can't get nothing OEM I even work for Chrysler and 0 OEM parts available.

Where do u find them for cars old as ours. I can't get nothing OEM I even work for Chrysler and 0 OEM parts available.

extremepsi.com has all your oem needs covered. I bought all the turbo and o2 bolts from them, and even my intake manifold bolts all OEM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back