The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Best transmission for model year 2000 4g63 turbo engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caymen

Probationary Member
Jun 6, 2018
Beausejour, MB_Canada
I'm swapping to a turbo 4g63 and just want to know what the best manual FWD transmission would be to use for this swap. Seen some sites saying the t 4g63 spider trans, but just wanna be sure. I have a 2000 model year 4g63

They stopped making talons in 98. So if it’s a 2g Dsm engine just use a 2g Dsm transmission. An awd trans with a welded center diff is going to be better than any of the available fwd transmissions.

They stopped making talons in 98. So if it’s a 2g Dsm engine just use a 2g Dsm transmission. An awd trans with a welded center diff is going to be better than any of the available fwd transmissions.
Well that makes sense. Now I'm even more confused though, the engine has "2000" engraved right on the cover. What's that for?

Update: it's a 91 talon

Update: it's a 91 talon
Im still confused? Do you have just the engine or do you have a 91 talon? If its just the engine what are you swapping into? Any year dsm trans would bolt up but there are diffrences you may want to consider if this is a swap.

Im still confused? Do you have just the engine or do you have a 91 talon? If its just the engine what are you swapping into? Any year dsm trans would bolt up but there are diffrences you may want to consider if this is a swap.
It's just a swap, I only have the engine. I'm just trying to find the best trans

Best is somewhat subjective. Best for what? Its a 1g engine. 1g trans all the bolts line up. 1g engine and trans combo you have 3 mounts on engine and one on trans. 2g the bolt pattern is different although it does work. You also have two additional mounts you could use since it is a swap. Axles are different year to year. If you plan on using equal length you need to plan for that as not all front diffs are the same.

I'm looking for one that'll hold up to a pretty decent amount of power. Not like I'm gonna pull 700hp out of a 4g63 but something that can hold closer to 350-400 without fault
Best is somewhat subjective. Best for what? Its a 1g engine. 1g trans all the bolts line up. 1g engine and trans combo you have 3 mounts on engine and one on trans. 2g the bolt pattern is different although it does work. You also have two additional mounts you could use since it is a swap. Axles are different year to year. If you plan on using equal length you need to plan for that as not all front diffs are the same.

Honestly a 2nd gen trans on a 1g block would be a good choice if it presents itself. Mainly for the flexibility of mounting it in different platforms. You'd have mount bosses on both engine and trans for the front and rear roll stops. But in the end if it's all custom then it may not be a big deal.

Honestly a 2nd gen trans on a 1g block would be a good choice if it presents itself. Mainly for the flexibility of mounting it in different platforms. You'd have mount bosses on both engine and trans for the front and rear roll stops. But in the end if it's all custom then it may not be a big deal.
Yeah I'm just trying to figure out the best route. I wanna take as much power from this engine as I can, and want a trans that'll hold up. It's all gonna be custom though, so whether I go 1g or 2g won't be much of a difference in the buying process

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out the best route. I wanna take as much power from this engine as I can, and want a trans that'll hold up. It's all gonna be custom though, so whether I go 1g or 2g won't be much of a difference in the buying process
There are axle end differences, internal differences etc. If its "totally custom" as you state and you're having the trans built then it probably won't matter much. Otherwise if yiure planning on buying a stock trans and running it then it matters. Do you have the project laid out? Chassis? Weight? You are putting the cart before the horse it seems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back