The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Because there is no RallyX option

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What suspension are you on currently, Nate? Just the KYB AGX + springs?

Yes sir. There is no bolt-on options without modification for the 2g. I have put most funds for this build towards the road course transition. For now, the AGX's and stock springs are up to the job.At this point though, the suspension is the biggest thing holding me back. Do to the limited suspension travel ride height, and options, I have to avoid some of the preferred lines on courses that I know would improve my times.

God, good luck with that! Lol.

Two words.... Power Washer

To be honest, this won't be as bad a cleaning up from from a course with a clay base. Power washing alone doesn't cut it as it just gets slimy........Our next event in Ohio is such a course, and will be hoping the weather cooperates.

Last edited:
Well, in a quest to find the easiest route to complete tasks, I have come across another revelation that may help others in the future. In a recent turbo swap due to shaft play, I was looking to reduce the amount of work needed to swap it out. Besides being thankful I used nickel-based the last time I had the exhaust components apart, I thought about how I could plug the cooling lines. I have various vacuum plugs at hand and decided to try it out. They worked quite well for blocking the coolant feed and return, reducing the amount of time needed to bump/refill the cooling system. However, if you have not serviced your cooling system in a while, I would suggest flushing it anyway..

IMG_20161105_142745214_zps57w7m7p7.jpg

Well, another RallyCross season is in the books. It was a rather competitive season battling with a regular nationals contender (took 2nd at nationals this year). Extremely happy to have really honed my skills this year as I eek myself up the ranks. We managed to snatch 2nd place at the Season Ender RallyCross with the Detroit Region SCCA. As I learn more about the car, I discovered where under-steer occurred during the morning runs. This was at the cost of time, but the course is normally much more open than this event. The course was rather tight, making the power advantage rather useless. Conditions in the morning were very muddy keeping speeds rather low as traction was unpredictable at times. The gravel tires would have been the best choice had the temps been above 50 degrees, leaving winter tires the next best choice. The afternoon was much better suited to the car with much more competitive times and 4 consecutive clean runs. The new skid plate proved a worthwhile expense as it was put to the test with audible reminders were heard in the afternoon in some of the more rutted parts of the course.

For the season, second place overall was secured with three first place and three second place finishes (scored event points only). While not the first place finish I was aiming for, I feel as if this year has been my best as Prepared AWD is a very competitive class. Something that is really holding me back is a tow vehicle. Driving out to the events keeps me from taking more risk as I need to drive the car home.

Here is a run from the morning:

Last edited:
I love your videos, like playing dirt game.

Congrats!

Thanks for the kind words. I have been playing with some software to include OBDII data. The best part is that all the videos are from my cell phone.

Thanks for the kind words. I have been playing with some software to include OBDII data. The best part is that all the videos are from my cell phone.

I always wondered how do you do to integrate rpm and throttle to your videos ?

They look awesome! and you make look easy to run on dirt, but i know isn't that easy... Congrats!

I always wondered how do you do to integrate rpm and throttle to your videos ?

They look awesome! and you make look easy to run on dirt, but i know isn't that easy... Congrats!

I don't feel that $300 for a GoPro is beneficial expenditure when my phone has been more than adequate. I am currently using RaceChrono Pro with a Bluetooth GPS receiver and Bluetooth OBDII scan tool. A good quality mount is also quite important.

My current setup:

• OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter
  • QStarz BT-Q1000XT GPS receiver
  • Ram Mount X-Grip phone mount

I don't feel that $300 for a GoPro is beneficial expenditure when my phone has been more than adequate. I am currently using RaceChrono Pro with a Bluetooth GPS receiver and Bluetooth OBDII scan tool. A good quality mount is also quite important.

My current setup:

• OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter
  • QStarz BT-Q1000XT GPS receiver
  • Ram Mount X-Grip phone mount

Wow very good info!!
I didn't espected that crystal clear info on your setup, it is a good recipe for good video telemetry. Now we just need to have your drivings skills! :p

Shame that my car have a poor 1g ecu, so obdlink isn't an option for me. Do you know if racechrono pro accepts external datasheets?

Wow very good info!!
I didn't espected that crystal clear info on your setup, it is a good recipe for good video telemetry. Now we just need to have your drivings skills! :p

Shame that my car have a poor 1g ecu, so obdlink isn't an option for me. Do you know if racechrono pro accepts external datasheets?

I cannot give you a clear answer on that...yet. I am still working on finishing up a Plymouth Laser for RallyCross duty. I will most definitely be looking to into data acquisition for the 1g as well.

How does the stock side mount do during autox events?

Due to classing restrictions, I cannot change or modify it in any way. I have tuned the car the the max the stock injectors can handle, again due to class restrictions. I have yet to encounter heat soak issues. The key is to retain the stock duct. I do have an old-school large side-mount should I get the gumption to change classes. What deters me is the host of changes that are available when changing classes don't justify my needs at this point. I honestly don't Autocross much as my main focuses have been RallyCross and HPDE events.

I haven't updated this build in a while, so I thought I would share some changes.

I retired the white 2g from RallyCross early this this year, and began competing in our newest vehicle (Evo 9). We dominated the Prepared All-Wheel Drive class this season taking 1st in class for the region. It has been the best season thus far. As much as I enjoy the Evo, I am still left wanting something a little more different and unconventional, yet still Mitsubishi. The Laser was the original plan, but have settled for a Colt GT. The plan is to drop in a 1g 4G63T and compete in Modified Front-Wheel Drive. This will be the first dedicated RallyCross build. I am pretty excited about this prospect as my fiance is interested in competing as well. I also am now looking to compete in national level with this next car. I will begin a build profile soon for our new journey!

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading this thread! Great looking car and much success! I am planning on doing rallycross this year and with the first event coming up, I am trying to figure out some basic information that is seeming to elude me currently. Could you tell me your exact wheel spec and tire spec for the gravel tires? I read they were a medium compound grooved gravel wheel but I cannot find a definitive answer online as to what size for wheels or tires would fit my car (1991 AWD talon with 2 piston calipers in front). It appears you were running steelies if I'm not mistaken? I cannot find any 16" gravel tires for the stock talon wheels I have so I am trying to find what 15" wheels would fit my car. I have read mixed reviews on winter tires due to the soft sidewall causing them to come off the rim during hard cornering. Do you happen to have any insight on a good wheel/ tire setup that would fit my application?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I cannot find it when I searched.

Thanks and good luck with you and your fiance's new journey together in rallycross!

I enjoyed reading this thread! Great looking car and much success! I am planning on doing rallycross this year and with the first event coming up, I am trying to figure out some basic information that is seeming to elude me currently. Could you tell me your exact wheel spec and tire spec for the gravel tires? I read they were a medium compound grooved gravel wheel but I cannot find a definitive answer online as to what size for wheels or tires would fit my car (1991 AWD talon with 2 piston calipers in front). It appears you were running steelies if I'm not mistaken? I cannot find any 16" gravel tires for the stock talon wheels I have so I am trying to find what 15" wheels would fit my car. I have read mixed reviews on winter tires due to the soft sidewall causing them to come off the rim during hard cornering. Do you happen to have any insight on a good wheel/ tire setup that would fit my application?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I cannot find it when I searched.

Thanks and good luck with you and your fiance's new journey together in rallycross!

Nice to see others interested in RallyCross. I have a couple questions.
  • Have you figured out the class of your car?
  • What are your mods? I don't see a profile for your car.
  • What are the general types of surfaces the organization tends to run on?

These questions impact the tire reccomendations.

It has been a wonderful adventure with this car. She has provided a many adventure and was among the most reliable DSM I have owned. She has suffered from the typical rusted strut towers you find in many northern cars. She will, however, live on. The engine and transaxle will find a new home in a project that has been in the planning stage for a while. Hopefully by the end of the year, a 1993 Eagle Summit will adorn the engine and transaxle.
DSC04619.JPG

As for RallyCross, we still compete, but using a Mini S until the RallyCross 4g63t swapped Colt is ready for action.
79129118_10217288870827502_326948479827968000_o.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back