The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Balance shaft tensioner pulley?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsubro93

5+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2018
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Hey is it safe to re-use the old balance shaft tensioner pulley? I re-used the old one, but I want to make sure this is safe before I actually accumulate miles on my dsm.

Yeah it would be on it’s 3rd turn more then likely I agree with you motomattx I think it’s important to replace every part has a purpose imo especially something below a timing cover. Also I reused my idler pulley and while they say these can last the “lifetime” of the vehicle I think it should get replaced as well.

Ah and you say it causes damage. See when I first opened my timing cover to do my t belt job the balance shaft tensioner wasn’t even holding the belt tight it was sagging! The timing marks for the balance sprocket and crank sprocket still lined up so I dismissed it? I attached two photos one how it was when I first opened it and the second one was after I retightened it with a new balance shaft belt. So who knows what damage that has already done if it did any damage.. that’s prolly why when I drive my car it feels shaky around 2k rpm until I pass 2k rpm but maybe that’s because of my exhaust leak

Attachments

• D2D7CA38-B8F7-4FAD-9922-4B11CFE8B497.jpeg
    D2D7CA38-B8F7-4FAD-9922-4B11CFE8B497.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 7A0EEE2C-0F08-4915-B1DE-719612F307F4.jpeg
    7A0EEE2C-0F08-4915-B1DE-719612F307F4.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
The damage that it can do is not so much to the balance shaft mechanism itself, the problem is that if that small belt is allowed to break from a locked up tensioner pulley, it can tangle in the main timing belt and cause catastrophic engine damage when the main belt skipps timing.

Very informative I would have never guessed that I will definitely be replacing this pulley. Are the chances high of such an event occuring? I’m assuming the same would go for the idler pulley.

How about replacing the idler pulley is that of high importance? I mean this car does have 180k miles although I know my engine was swapped I’m thinking it was maybe just my cylinder head which was swapped meaning my idler pulley has 180k

Yeah I agree with you on that for sure. Its gonna be spring time in two months I may have to recompress my new auto tensioner slightly to put the pin back inside of it so I can get to that idler pulley. Will this do anything negative to a new mitsubishi auto tensioner?

Yeah I agree with you on that for sure. Its gonna be spring time in two months I may have to recompress my new auto tensioner slightly to put the pin back inside of it so I can get to that idler pulley. Will this do anything negative to a new mitsubishi auto tensioner?
It's fine. Just dont compress it quickly. Even gently it's a 30 sec process in a vice

Thanks for clarifying that! Okay this is my last question do 1g and 2g dsms use the same size balance shaft pulley? I only ask because on eBay i see an ntn oem balance shaft pulley going for 30$! I also found a Koyo idler pulley for 30$ says fits 1996 eclipse gst I just wanna make sure before I get it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back