The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Balance shaft help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasean Real

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2018
San Diego, California
Hey yall, can anyone help me identify whether or not the balance shafts on my 6 bolt motor may or may not have been deleted? it makes this weird noise from the timing area while coasting and my belt has been chewed up possibly from the oil pan bolts although they are m6x10mm. Not sure if BS have been removed because there is 1 pulley on the bottom in the last pic

The first few pics are my timing belt and oil pan area

Last few is the balance shaft area

Attachments

• IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2044.JPG
    IMG_2044.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    613.7 KB · Views: 58
Hey yall, can anyone help me identify whether or not the balance shafts on my 6 bolt motor may or may not have been deleted? it makes this weird noise from the timing area while coasting and my belt has been chewed up possibly from the oil pan bolts although they are m6x10mm. Not sure if BS have been removed because there is 1 pulley on the bottom in the last pic

The first few pics are my timing belt and oil pan area

Last few is the balance shaft area

The balance shaft belt is missing, so I am going to say yes to the balance shaft delete. If the rear shaft was still in there with no belt your engine would more than likely vibrate a noticable amount.

The mark in the timing belt is most definitely from the bolts on the oil pan that sit under the belt. You need to get some shorter ones and then replace that belt.

Last edited:
Ok that makes sense. Appreciate the response.

So now I narrowed the problem down to my timing being too tight along with the bolts.

So the pulley there didn't need to be removed im assuming and what size bolts should i be using for the oil pan?

The balance shaft belt is missing, so I am going to say yes to the balance shaft delete. If the rear shaft was still in there with no belt your engine would be trashed.

The mark in the timing belt is most definitely from the bolts on the oil pan that sit under the belt. You need to get some shorter ones and then replace that belt.
Motor would be trashed? This is not correct. The car does not have a front shaft for sure and likely doesn't have a rear shaft. OP you have no way of knowing if the rear shaft is gone unless you drop the pan or maybe try to fish through the inspection hole and see if it's there. 6 pan bolts can be identified by the head. Two of them will be different. Measure the length. There are plenty of threads about this as it's a common mistake. Sad because this is pointed out in the service manual and has been since 1990.

Motor would be trashed? This is not correct. The car does not have a front shaft for sure and likely doesn't have a rear shaft. OP you have no way of knowing if the rear shaft is gone unless you drop the pan or maybe try to fish through the inspection hole and see if it's there. 6 pan bolts can be identified by the head. Two of them will be different. Measure the length. There are plenty of threads about this as it's a common mistake. Sad because this is pointed out in the service manual and has been since 1990.

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking. I fixed my reply.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back