The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

AT to MT Swap Info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nothing. Your transmission runs off a seperate computer (located by the firewall under your middle console). You can remove this computer before you drill your new cable holes. Otherwise you might drill into it!

Nothing. Your transmission runs off a seperate computer (located by the firewall under your middle console). You can remove this computer before you drill your new cable holes. Otherwise you might drill into it!

I know the tcu controls the auto tranny and not the ecu. But I keep hearing that you need a 5spd ecu with the swap but noone can tell me the difference. Im still trying to figure out why I need the 5spd ecu. Only thing I can guess about is different timing/fuel maps and/or different rev limiter. I was hoping someone could clear this up for me that knows first hand.

The rev limiter is higher on the 2gnt's MT ECU, vs the AT ECU. I am not sure what else is different between them.

If you check the vfaq, it shows that another ecu is not required. I am using my AT ecu and even untuned it ran great.

According to Alldata, they are the same as well.

If you check the vfaq, it shows that another ecu is not required. I am using my AT ecu and even untuned it ran great.

According to Alldata, they are the same as well.

All I see on vfaq is swap info on a 1g n/t, not a 2g n/t. Can you post a link to the info you were looking at?

Better yet, can everyone post links to swap info that they know of or have used?

Also, does anyone have a link to ecu pinouts for a 2gb n/t? Ive been searching but have come up with very little useful information.

Ok time to bring this thread back, Im thinking real serious about doing this swap. Did anyone ever complete this successfully? How long did it take? Was it worth it?

I did it on my 97 GST its the usual work for changing a transmission + 2-3 full days of work.
Oh and you dont need a new center console, just a shift boot(the auto one even have the screw holes for the boot).

Im trying to get my car running again and one of the things I need to fix is the Tranny.. I have a 97 RS and a 96 RS that pretty much is now the parts car for my 97. My question is if there is an actual write up or install process to doing the swap?? I clicked on the link that was on the first page but nothing showed up.

Also wanted to know if I should even bother doing it or just pay someone since its my first time. I pretty much have the tools and engine lift but barely have the time. If anyone lives in the South Florida area (perferrably between Coral Springs and Ft. Lauderdale) and could give me some heads up on a good shop in the area that does good work but for a good reasonable price?? I think Velocita Paola lives around here so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

This link is not a complete swap but it may help you.

2GNT.com - Transmission

Supposedly someone is going to add more info soon.

MB

Thanks for the link Bullet, I actually seen it before and dont know if I should trust it since its not fully complete?? Im still trying to look for a good link with the whole process and pictures step by step. If anyone knows or has a link please let me know. Thanks again.

I'm going to attempt this this summer. These are from a 96 Talon TSi AWD and the numbers are the price a guy around here is listing them at. These should all match up into my GS right? except for the motor mount? And do the prices seem fair?

Passenger Motor Mount (Needed to do A/T to M/T) 35
Clutch Pedal Assembly 45
Brake Pedal Assembly 40
Clutch Master Cylinder 40
Slave Cylinder 25
Clutch Reservoir 25

i did this swap over a year ago. i got the reverse lights to work but are unable to get the speedometer to work. the at/mt swap by Corbin on 2gnt.com is a GREAT guide one of the best i have seen yet. but there still needs to be a little more insight on the wiring. my 97 eclipse has 4 plugs 2 small and 2 big. his guide shows to have 1 big 4 small. for instance his guide shows that the reverse light wiring consist of 1 red/wire and one black wire/white stripe. and on my car it is one red wire/blue stripe and the black wire/white stripe. i am not sure if the year of the car will change the wiring colors are not. if any one has successfully did the swap and got the wirring figured out please send me an massage.

The rev limiter is higher on the 2gnt's MT ECU, vs the AT ECU. I am not sure what else is different between them.

i come to find out if you don't swap the ECU you end up with check engine lights

#1 trans-axle range switch

#2 not no communication from TCU

these are the two check engine lights that stayed on.

also every time i slowed done it would die. when i change the ECU it quit dieing

the auto ECU red lines at 6500 the manual ECU 7500

Hey guys!

Well im back at this project again. LOL. Its taking a lot lnger than expected because i ended up deciding to completely rebuild the engine first. then after doing that, i havnt touched the car in about 3 years. haha. but after 3 years of sitting in the driveway half complete, i decided to just finish it. a couple days ago i put the engine back in the car, put all of the M/T components in, and hooked up all the wiring. But like ever DSM project, i ran into a problem.

How do i hook up the VSS (Speed Sensor)?
i read over Corbin's walkthrew on 2GNT and he does say that i need to splice the wires from the VSS connector of the M/T harness, but he dosnt say where to splice them to. so far this is my only road block i have hit.

thanks for the help guys.
its feels great to be back. :thumb:

Hey guys!

Well im back at this project again. LOL. Its taking a lot lnger than expected because i ended up deciding to completely rebuild the engine first. then after doing that, i havnt touched the car in about 3 years. haha. but after 3 years of sitting in the driveway half complete, i decided to just finish it. a couple days ago i put the engine back in the car, put all of the M/T components in, and hooked up all the wiring. But like ever DSM project, i ran into a problem.

How do i hook up the VSS (Speed Sensor)?
i read over Corbin's walkthrew on 2GNT and he does say that i need to splice the wires from the VSS connector of the M/T harness, but he dosnt say where to splice them to. so far this is my only road block i have hit.

thanks for the help guys.
its feels great to be back. :thumb:

ok this is what i did i hooked the black wire and the yellow to the the black and yellow wire on the cam shaft sensor like it said to do on 2gnt and than ran the yellow/white wire to pin 66 in the ecu plug. and when i drive it the speedometer only goes up to about 20mph and it will pulsate up and down from 20 to 5 mph. so then i hooked all 3 wires to the same color wire on the ecu plug. and got the same result then i left the 2 yellow wires hooked to the ecu and hooked the black wire directly the the negative side on the battery post and still same result.. 2 years after doing the auto to manual swap i am geting tired of messing with the speed sensor. so any help would be great. so i would also like some help on this matter.

Can someone upload a picture of where I'm supposed to wire the clutch/starter interlock switch?

ok this is what i did i hooked the black wire and the yellow to the the black and yellow wire on the cam shaft sensor like it said to do on 2gnt and than ran the yellow/white wire to pin 66 in the ecu plug. and when i drive it the speedometer only goes up to about 20mph and it will pulsate up and down from 20 to 5 mph. so then i hooked all 3 wires to the same color wire on the ecu plug. and got the same result then i left the 2 yellow wires hooked to the ecu and hooked the black wire directly the the negative side on the battery post and still same result.. 2 years after doing the auto to manual swap i am geting tired of messing with the speed sensor. so any help would be great. so i would also like some help on this matter.

I also need help with this

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back