The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone prepped for Rally or Rallycross

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We are getting some DSM members on DirtyEvo! Who else wants to join the action?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

For anyone looking for Rally or RallyX events in your area, check out the DirtyEvo Calendar! It is packed with all kinds of events from all across the country.

For those Stage Rally Enthusiasts it features all of the events in the Rally America Championship, Canadian Rally Championship, NASA Rally Sport, World Rally Championship, and more!

For those looking to give RallyX a try it has events from California, Idaho, Arizona, Arkansas, Ohio, New York, Tennessee, Alabama, Indiana, Hawaii, Oklahoma, Colorado, Luisiana, Washington D.C., Oregon, New England, Utah, Texas, and Georgia! With new events being added weekly!

So please take a second to check out the calendar and while you are there create an account and join the only Evo and DSM rally forum on the web!

DirtyEvo Calendar

Wow. I totally fell off the face of this thread. Still running strong though. Making my way up the M4 food chain. Added the roof vent between Event 3 and 4 and boy does it make a difference. No more eating dirt in the middle of a lap.
Just rebuilt the coilovers, replaced all the rubber hoses, and thanks to a spacer falling in the timing cover; double checked the timing over the weekend. Ready to tackle the next 4 events in 2 months starting next weekend. :thumb:

Anyone planning to tackle Tulsa in October? Registration is already open!

Wow. I totally fell off the face of this thread. Still running strong though. Making my way up the M4 food chain. Added the roof vent between Event 3 and 4 and boy does it make a difference. No more eating dirt in the middle of a lap.
Just rebuilt the coilovers, replaced all the rubber hoses, and thanks to a spacer falling in the timing cover; double checked the timing over the weekend. Ready to tackle the next 4 events in 2 months starting next weekend. :thumb:

Anyone planning to tackle Tulsa in October? Registration is already open!

Well welcome back! So the red one is yours? I'm looking at adding a roof vent too, may be the same one. I'd love to hear more about it. Cabin airflow options - DirtyEvo.com - The EVO and DSM Rally Forum!

What coilovers are you using? I'm trying to figure out my suspension setup now. I tried using a full Evo VIIi suspension but its way to stiff and too high in the rear at least on my lightweight FWD.

4 events in 2 months is awesome! In the series I'm racing in we have 2 events every 4 months, LOL. My next one is July 13th.

Yeah the red one is mine. Love that car(so does the wife). The roof vent is fabulous. I'm the only dsm rally crosser I've seen with it. I put one on the sentra and loved it and once the dust was flying in the dsm, it was obvious I needed one in the dsm too. Check out walkinvan.com. Go to side vents. 20ish dollars. They have aluminum and steel ones. I opted for the aluminum on the sentra because the soda can roof skin but opted for the steel one for the talon and minus the handle, I'd rather have the steel one. The steel one has a single ball handle whereas the aluminum has a whole bow handle.
I have k sport gravel specs. They have a slightly different valving because they are normally valves for high speeds seen on stage rally.
One of the guys tried some inverted sti struts on his much much lighter gc impreza. Had the same results you did: too stiff and sat a little too high. I thought you liked the eibachs and agx combo? I had goodluck refilling my struts on the sentra with some motorcycle shock fluid and pressurizing them with nitrogen. They were stock replacements and some super high rate springs. Worked good until the seals inside the struts went bad and then they sorta stopped dampening.

The frequency of events is a little tiresum but they are always fun. I think I'd die if we had 1 every 2 months. Winter almost kills me.

Yeah the red one is mine. Love that car(so does the wife). The roof vent is fabulous. I'm the only dsm rally crosser I've seen with it. I put one on the sentra and loved it and once the dust was flying in the dsm, it was obvious I needed one in the dsm too. Check out walkinvan.com. Go to side vents. 20ish dollars. They have aluminum and steel ones. I opted for the aluminum on the sentra because the soda can roof skin but opted for the steel one for the talon and minus the handle, I'd rather have the steel one. The steel one has a single ball handle whereas the aluminum has a whole bow handle.
I have k sport gravel specs. They have a slightly different valving because they are normally valves for high speeds seen on stage rally.
One of the guys tried some inverted sti struts on his much much lighter gc impreza. Had the same results you did: too stiff and sat a little too high. I thought you liked the eibachs and agx combo? I had goodluck refilling my struts on the sentra with some motorcycle shock fluid and pressurizing them with nitrogen. They were stock replacements and some super high rate springs. Worked good until the seals inside the struts went bad and then they sorta stopped dampening.

The frequency of events is a little tiresum but they are always fun. I think I'd die if we had 1 every 2 months. Winter almost kills me.

Oh nice, I'll check those vents out! It looks just like the aluminum vent here, which is $90.

I was running the AGX/Eibach's only because that is what I have had for the on the car for the last 8 or 9 years. However they don't provide enough ground clearance to get loaded up on my dolly for towing to and from events. I wanted to try out the Evo's since they were in my garage and basically free.

Do you know what the other 1g guys in your region are using for suspension? I can't afford coilovers right now. I may just end up going with stock DSM stuff, possibly with new KYB's.

So i assumed that AWD turbo cars with ABS and huge power and rally tires and modifications and LSDs would be faster at Rallycross than my daily driven anchient under-powered open diff FWD nearly stock Eagle Talon on snow tires... but i was wrong.

1st place MF by 41 seconds over a good driver in a Focus Hatch, and 3rd overall out of 60 entries at a highly competitive venue with many purpose built trailered cars.

WDCR RallyX #4 2013 6/22/13 Results

This was a two day event in oppressive heat with three different courses, totalling roughly 1500 seconds of run time over 20 runs. It was strenuous, but an amazing experience.

So i assumed that AWD turbo cars with ABS and huge power and rally tires and modifications and LSDs would be faster at Rallycross than my daily driven anchient under-powered open diff FWD nearly stock Eagle Talon on snow tires... but i was wrong.

1st place MF by 41 seconds over a good driver in a Focus Hatch, and 3rd overall out of 60 entries at a highly competitive venue with many purpose built trailered cars.

WDCR RallyX #4 2013 6/22/13 Results

This was a two day event in oppressive heat with three different courses, totalling roughly 1500 seconds of run time over 20 runs. It was strenuous, but an amazing experience.

Congrats!! That sounds like a really cool event! Do you have any pictures? Any other DSM/Evo's out there?

Congrats!! That sounds like a really cool event! Do you have any pictures? Any other DSM/Evo's out there?

Pictures will be posted at Squared Away Photography when the guy gets around to it. Quite surprisingly, i have always been the only DSM out there, but i have seen an EVO once maybe twice. The WDCR crowd seems to love Subarus and E30 BMWs. Maybe after the last race they will all start buying DSMs! :p

Oh nice, I'll check those vents out! It looks just like the aluminum vent here, which is $90.

I was running the AGX/Eibach's only because that is what I have had for the on the car for the last 8 or 9 years. However they don't provide enough ground clearance to get loaded up on my dolly for towing to and from events. I wanted to try out the Evo's since they were in my garage and basically free.

Do you know what the other 1g guys in your region are using for suspension? I can't afford coilovers right now. I may just end up going with stock DSM stuff, possibly with new KYB's.

My stock springs and KYB GR2 are good enough to crush everyone but two highly modified M4 AWD cars...

Pictures will be posted at Squared Away Photography when the guy gets around to it. Quite surprisingly, i have always been the only DSM out there, but i have seen an EVO once maybe twice. The WDCR crowd seems to love Subarus and E30 BMWs. Maybe after the last race they will all start buying DSMs! :p

My stock springs and KYB GR2 are good enough to crush everyone but two highly modified M4 AWD cars...

Ok awesome! If you get any good pictures of your car keep in mind we have a new Dirty Ride of the Quarter competition starting up on July 1st over on DirtyEvo.com. DSM's are welcome to enter! All new DirtyEvo of the Quarter starting on July 1st! - DirtyEvo.com - The EVO and DSM Rally Forum!

I'm going to give this super stiff Evo suspension a shot for the July Rallyx even though its not ideal. I think even if I went with stock springs/struts they wouldn't be ideal either because my car is so light, ~800 lbs less then stock. I may have to go with ground control or coilovers so I can change the spring rates.

We are getting some DSM members on DirtyEvo! Who else wants to join the action?

All right fine! You convinced me :)

Hey Michael! I had to repaint your old car. The matte black just wasn't doing it for me anymore....

I'll be back in action this next race. See you guys there!

I ran my n/t 1g (car in my avatar) on snows for nearly two years. Car did awesome and there wasn't one race I didn't have fun. Underrated car IMO :)

Last edited by a moderator:
'bout time Dan. Don't worry. Only been 4 events since you last showed up.
The matte black was absolutely gorgeous when it was new. Colorado weather definitely took its tool.

The local guys are actually all running coilovers. Peter(12) is running hotbits with external reservoir, Keith(9) is running k sports like me but with stock valving but softer springs. The purple guy(forget his name) or maroon or whatever you wanna call it(butt ass ugly red.. LOL) is running stock suspension.
That evo suspension just makes that car look hysterical. Your rear end might wanna jump on around on you now though. Kept a slight rake on the sentra and it helped.
If you can't afford coilovers, maybe try some coilover sleeves on the agxs. You can choose the right length and spring rate to get the right height for you car. The sleeves will allow you to dial it in. Honestly, some 50 dollar sleeves from ebay and 2 sets of springs for maybe 100-200ish should do it. Racewerks used to have eibach spring pairs for 40 each. Doesn't look like that link works anymore. Summit has them for about 70-80 a pair.
Check out A1 racing here. A1 has top notch stuff but not sure if any of it will work. Thats actually what I was doing on the Sentra and it worked pretty good, I just chose some higher rate springs than I needed and well... I should have gone softer.

As for the primitive vent... yeah..... don't do it. The walkinvan vent is just as nice and works just as well and is 70 bucks less. Make sure you buy the right size. I got the smaller of the two. The bigger one is just too big.

Good work mhuffman! We have 2 focus(foci?) in S2 and they are pretty quick. Takes a good driver sometimes to bring out the best in any car.

'bout time Dan. Don't worry. Only been 4 events since you last showed up.
The matte black was absolutely gorgeous when it was new. Colorado weather definitely took its tool.

The local guys are actually all running coilovers. Peter(12) is running hotbits with external reservoir, Keith(9) is running k sports like me but with stock valving but softer springs. The purple guy(forget his name) or maroon or whatever you wanna call it(butt ass ugly red.. LOL) is running stock suspension.
That evo suspension just makes that car look hysterical. Your rear end might wanna jump on around on you now though. Kept a slight rake on the sentra and it helped.
If you can't afford coilovers, maybe try some coilover sleeves on the agxs. You can choose the right length and spring rate to get the right height for you car. The sleeves will allow you to dial it in. Honestly, some 50 dollar sleeves from ebay and 2 sets of springs for maybe 100-200ish should do it. Racewerks used to have eibach spring pairs for 40 each. Doesn't look like that link works anymore. Summit has them for about 70-80 a pair.
Check out A1 racing here. A1 has top notch stuff but not sure if any of it will work. Thats actually what I was doing on the Sentra and it worked pretty good, I just chose some higher rate springs than I needed and well... I should have gone softer.

As for the primitive vent... yeah..... don't do it. The walkinvan vent is just as nice and works just as well and is 70 bucks less. Make sure you buy the right size. I got the smaller of the two. The bigger one is just too big.

Good work mhuffman! We have 2 focus(foci?) in S2 and they are pretty quick. Takes a good driver sometimes to bring out the best in any car.

I ordered "F" just this morning... Is that the "bigger one"?

I will look in to those sleeves and springs. Thanks for the tip. I have AGX's already, is it possible to get them revalved rather then buying new ones?

We have a super fast focus in S2 also. It's faster then all the M2 cars.

F is the small steel one. The same one on my car. It can be seen on the CORX National Challenge event pics you have on the other thread. G is the bigger one. F is 9.5" wide and G is 12" wide. Waaaayyy overkill.

I'm not super sure if you can revalve agxs. Or rather if anyone would. I know people have gotten koni yellows and Bilteins revalved. Don't see why you couldn't, just don't know of anyone who does.

Our fastest 2wd car is an M2 early 90's Honda Civic. But he is one hell of a driver too. Its not uncommon for him to come close if not get FTD.

F is the small steel one. The same one on my car. It can be seen on the CORX National Challenge event pics you have on the other thread. G is the bigger one. F is 9.5" wide and G is 12" wide. Waaaayyy overkill.

I'm not super sure if you can revalve agxs. Or rather if anyone would. I know people have gotten koni yellows and Bilteins revalved. Don't see why you couldn't, just don't know of anyone who does.

Our fastest 2wd car is an M2 early 90's Honda Civic. But he is one hell of a driver too. Its not uncommon for him to come close if not get FTD.

Ok, awesome on the vent! I was worried there for a sec. Was your car a sunroof car?

I sent KYB an email this afternoon, I should hear back tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what they say incase anyone else is interested. I'm not too hopeful though.

From KYB:
Good morning Nathan,

Unfortunally our AGX products are not rebuild able or cannot be refilled since they are completely sealed.

Thank you
Tech Support

Ok, awesome on the vent! I was worried there for a sec. Was your car a sunroof car?

I sent KYB an email this afternoon, I should hear back tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what they say incase anyone else is interested. I'm not too hopeful though.

Nice to see all these people interested in some kind of rallying it is very enjoyable

In reference to the roof vents and NACA ducts they are both used in road racing quite a bit from brake ducting to driver cooling, especially the roof vent.

Go to my build "98 Talon Tsi road racer" in the build journal section, page 1, post 24, and take a look at what I have made, the roof vent now have a lip around the perimeter and can be inserted from the inside of the car, although we are required to race with no windows still gets very hot after a while, the Florida sun, if you like I can take some more pictures and size of opening, we have a car that has 2 roof vents on it now, they work.

Dang. Well that's too bad. Do you think the Eibachs would fit on the evo struts? Perhaps give it the much needed "drop".
Not at all. The rear struts are completely different and the FWD DSM springs are quite a bit longer then the evo springs, even the Eibach's and they are lowering springs.

Can you post some pics of your vent on the inside? I started installing it today and I'm thinking the aluminum vent may be better just because of they way the handle is. In order to get the range I need with the steel vent's handle I would have to cut out part of the roof's front support. Cabin airflow options - Page 4 - DirtyEvo.com - The EVO and DSM Rally Forum!

Nice to see all these people interested in some kind of rallying it is very enjoyable

In reference to the roof vents and NACA ducts they are both used in road racing quite a bit from brake ducting to driver cooling, especially the roof vent.

Go to my build "98 Talon Tsi road racer" in the build journal section, page 1, post 24, and take a look at what I have made, the roof vent now have a lip around the perimeter and can be inserted from the inside of the car, although we are required to race with no windows still gets very hot after a while, the Florida sun, if you like I can take some more pictures and size of opening, we have a car that has 2 roof vents on it now, they work.

Yes, I would be interested in seeing some pics of how they are installed, especially on the inside.

Hey DSMers that aren't afraid to get your cars dirty, DirtyEvo just started a new Dirty Ride of The Quarter Competition that is open to all DSM's. Sumbit a picture of your car from now to September 14th for a chance to win a features spot on the DirtyEvo homepage, a DirtyEvo "It's better when its dirty" T-shirt, and a pair of DirtyEvo full color decals. Check out this link to enter and for more info: Dirty Ride of the Quarter - Summer 2013 - Submission thread - DirtyEvo.com - The EVO and DSM Rally Forum!

Looking good! Isn't it kind of liberating cutting up your roof? It looks like you got it in the exact place I did, maybe a little more forward. I havn't gotten on tuners since last week and totally missed your post. My handle just touches the roof support along the windshield and as long as my hand isn't wrapped around it when opening, its good to go. Hurt like hell when I jammed it between the handle and roof...Lesson learned.

The vent has a lip around the perimeter and is inserted from the inside of car, the lip can be bolted ,glued or rivetted.

Look also at the journal from1994 evolution11 rwd from Sweden, by KHracing, he has something similar on his car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back