The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone Familiar with the 420a Engine and Willing to Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99OZDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I'm a student low on funds and need to make a decision by the end of summer.

I'm either selling my 99 420a and getting a GSX OR rebuilding my 420a with forged internals but meant to run as a reliable DD.

Basically if someone can help me with the 420a, I'll probably just keep it. I do all the basic maintenance myself, but want to learn the ins and outs if someone is willing to help me out.

2gnt.com

You're asking for help rebuilding it or help understanding it?

Also, The GSX is a much funner choice but the 420a will DD pretty well. Heavy choices to weigh.

If you rebuild the 420a, get a factory rebuild kit and be happy.
OEM-pistons, rods, upgraded head gasket and head bolts. New OEM water pump, timing belt and tensioners.

Proper maintenance and it will get 35+ miles to the gallon and still look great doing it. DD the crap out of it and save that hard earned money for the GSX.

Im speaking from experience on this when I say that the 420a can be a fun engine to rat rod around town but it's still FWD and still not worth it. I wouldnt put $3-$4k into this if you're already checking on GSX's. They are so much more fun to mod and drive not mentioning the amount of aftermarket support meant for the 4G63. The 420a doesnt even come close to that. Do as you wish, this is just my 2¢

I know 2GNT is a great source. I've only started doing some preliminary research.

But I am looking for someone local to help me out as my knowledge only goes as far as basic maintenance.

I'm a student right now so I don't have any income until this summer, but I have managed to save up about $3.5k.

My goal right now is for a reliable DD, as I only need this car for about another 2 years. At which point, I will turbo the 420a, which is why I'm thinking forged internals OR get a gsx. Of course unless I do that by the end of summer, I'm just worried most GSX aren't in good condition and I would have to throw more money into it in order to have it run as a reliable DD.

35+ MPG does sound enticing though...

For a daily driver, you can't go wrong with the 420a. Great mileage, easier to work on, and it's sporty enough.

I'm assuming it is the OZ edition, so it already has the turbo body style and leather seats. And, as stated above, there are plenty of resources to help keep it up and repaired.

I think Ive seen you at cars and coffee, your car is clean. But to be blunt you wont get more then 4k for it. as clean as it is its still a non turbo fwd car. You can get GSX's for 5k easily and dsm'rs know this, youll be lucky to get 4k.

Honestly, if your 420 runs fine, dont touch it. change the oil, keep up with the maint and just drive your car daily and enjoy it. Find a clean GSX or TSI AWD, mind you this will take time, my buddy has been looking for one up and down the east coast and he has a bigger budget then you. It took me about 6 months to find my GSX and it was pretty riced out, Altezza tails, ghetto ass rims, bomz racing seats, krylon here and there, the tune was ####ed because he slapped huge injectors in it and didnt tune it, but it was a solid car with nice paint and maintained well (its also a cali car so no rust whatsoever) so i basically just had to De-rice it. She has come a long way but is still nowhere near where I want her. Clean 2g's who are not mutilated are hard to find.

You will regret it 1000x over if you build up a turbo 420 are stuck with fwd, hard to find parts, and just overall not as much power as a 4g63 can put down, ever. After all your hardwork and frustration your car will also not be worth shit. Any future DSM'r will not want a turbo 420 fwd.

Just my .02 cents

I completely understand the whole 4G63 v. 420a argument for both sides. We all know there are plenty of those threads on here.

My point is if someone local would want to work on my 420a, I will probably end up keeping it. I got my OZ DSM when I was 16 and have always wanted to get a GSX.

Also, being that I've had this car for 7 years now as a student (never have money), I'm about to go crazy if I don't do something to my car or get another one by the end of this summer. It's also why I'm even having this debate in my head.

It's really hard being a car guy and driving around an automatic, 420a, fwd dsm. My car is clean b/c I always knew that was its best asset, it's looks.

I know most of the 757 dsm'rs, im on vadsm alot and i do not know a one of them that has or will touch a 420a. its just not practical, too much money for too little performance. If your absolutely dieing to get a gsx then sell yours and buy a gsx...you will prlly be without a car for a while though, because finding a clean gsx takes time, and seeing as you want to daily it youll want a 97+ that hopefully has the split thrush bearing and is less likely to walk, and that has not been modded.

Or just take a car loan out for like 5k and try and find a clean one, then once you get it sell yours asap and pay off the loan.

Yeah I need a car to get to school everyday. I thought about the loan but that's another problem too, a bank is not going to give me a loan if I can't make payments. Unless you can think of another way? I'm basically living off of student loans right now.

nah i can't handle having a job right now. law school is kinda kicking my ass. my only option is to wait if I want a GSX I guess unless I find a gem for real cheap. we'll see

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back