The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Anyone ever Top mount an FP green?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer Fabrications

10+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
:idontknow:Anyone done it or seen it done? The red or black could be fit with a T3 housing, but the green is an odd one, and only fits the mitsu housing. With the mitsu housing, the locator pin must be removed to rotate the turbine housing Anyway, curious if I’m about to be the first one making this, as per customer request for a unique build.

Last edited:
Nope, cause nobody ever been that stupid! JK. I'm curious, why is this being done?
Cause they want something unique,

Here it is almost done, and this isn't the first request ive had, so must not be un heard of.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that bad. Hard to say that top mounting any turbo has any performance benefits so why not.

I don't think it's that bad. Hard to say that top mounting any turbo has any performance benefits so why not.
The performance gain could be in the larger volume,
Longer runners, and it is mostly useful to fit larger turbos, which isnt the case in this instance.

Last edited:
There really isn't a performance gain. The longer runners try and help scavenging at low/mid rpm, but the trade off is the extra system volume doesn't maintain the pulse energy as well (sort of the opposite of going to a twin scroll setup), and the spool up suffers. With the exhaust restriction a turbo gives, it's unclear if you actually gain any low rpm VE from the longer primaries (scavenging). It's hard to test this on a chassis dyno too. Have to start at same rpm and keep the same rpm sweep rate.

There really isn't a performance gain. The longer runners try and help scavenging at low/mid rpm, but the trade off is the extra system volume doesn't maintain the pulse energy as well (sort of the opposite of going to a twin scroll setup), and the spool up suffers. With the exhaust restriction a turbo gives, it's unclear if you actually gain any low rpm VE from the longer primaries (scavenging). It's hard to test this on a chassis dyno too. Have to start at same rpm and keep the same rpm sweep rate.
This was always my understanding, scavenging on a turbo motor is minimal just because of the obvious drive pressure in the manifold. The difference in power band between this and a traditional manifold would probably favor higher rpm but even then I bet it would be minimal on this size turbo.

However popping the hood to show it off would be a whole different story. Which I'm betting the customer was in fact going for. There's no denying that a top mounted turbo just looks awesome LOL.

Turned out great for sure! You got some skillz boss.

+2 for being unique
-1 for the customer going with a green? I think seeing the black would have been more interesting.
Well a black would work too if he wanted, but there are also turbine housings in T3 that would fit thr black.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back