The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Anybody tried E85 + Evo Ecu in a 1G GS? I did!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooopy365

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2003
XX, Europe
Hey,
just want to share my impression.
I did some "stuipd" thing to my little NT engine.

My old car got into an accident (engine still good).
So I got an other DSM.
An GS, because turbo cars where never sold in germany.

The differents between US-NT Gs and germany GS are:
10.4:1 compression.
Knocksensor
Oilcooler.

Because of the old car, I had some parts laying around:
- 2G MAS
- 2G knock sensor
- 255lph walbro
- aAFR
- 4* 840ccm FIC Injectors
- "Resistorpack"
- Evo8 Ecu.

So I fitted the NT car with custom E85 maps (stock Evo maps are pretty much unuseable in a NT car.
I did wire the resistors directly in the harness adapter to the Evo Ecu.
Than I streettuned it.

The results did amazed me pretty much.
Stock the car did feel weak until 5000rpm, than it runs strong upto 6000rpm, than it is feeling weak again.

After the modifikations the car is running strong since 4000rpm.
Than hits a power peak at 6000rpm but keeps the power until my risen rev limiter stops forward motion at 8000rpm.

I haven`t dynoed the car, but my butt-dyno tells me its more than 175hp.
I`ve let a few GST owners drive the car and they say its just a little bit slower than a stock turbo DSM.

I timed acc from 0-60mph with evoscan.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Stock time for this is 9.3seconds.
But I should mention that it normaly take a gear change to reach 60mph... with 8000rpm limiter that is not nessary.
And yes the car is realy running over 40 degress timing on WOT.

If you like to see a video of the car running:
YouTube - Evo Ecu im Eclipse mit E85 Anpassung.
but it does have german text in it ;)

and some bad quality video of reving upto 8000rpm.
YouTube - Reving stock head to 8000rpm

and last but not least just a little "soundcheck"
Car is running lean (lambda 1.3) and very agressiv timing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQj5oh1GueE
exhaust is stock.

So my final thought:
Is it good to run an Evo Ecu on a NT car?
YES, with custom timing maps its just great.
But honestly, it might be cheaper to get a turbo car ;)

Why did I do it?
Because I just had the parts laying around and wanted to try tuning with an evo ecu, before my turbo engine is in the car.

Hope somebody find any use for my input.

40* seems like way too much though I haven't tuned an NT 4g63. E85 has a tendency to let you walk right past MBT before you get any knock so I would start doing a few back to back runs using virtual dyno room to see if you lose any power when you drop back on timing. If you just tuned for knock then you will probably in fact gain quite a bit of power by dialing back timing and if you are running past MBT then you're likely to have a vented block in the near future.

Cool little project though.

40* seems like way too much though I haven't tuned an NT 4g63. E85 has a tendency to let you walk right past MBT before you get any knock so I would start doing a few back to back runs using virtual dyno room to see if you lose any power when you drop back on timing. If you just tuned for knock then you will probably in fact gain quite a bit of power by dialing back timing and if you are running past MBT then you're likely to have a vented block in the near future.

Cool little project though.

I also thought it is to much.

But the thing is: with less timing it isn`t making any power, because of the lean tune ( Lambda 0.9 at WOT).
So the reason why I`m running this much timing is just because lean mix does burn slower, so you need to give it more timing.

I also tried to run it with a richer AFR and "normaly timing" but it tends to be not that responsable and revs slower.

I`m not tuning for knock, that would be damn impossible with E85 and an 10.4:1 NT engine.

I done care much for the block, its a 7bolt and I´ll hopefully through it in the
garbage in a few weeks.

I`m running this engine with that setup about 10.000km now, everthing is fine.
And its able to run 235km/h (146mph) topspeed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back