The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Any PC gamers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nothing wrong with older hw. My setup runds damn good. Only reasin why i want a newer setup is to bash those i7s

Nothing wrong with older hw. My setup runds damn good. Only reasin why i want a newer setup is to bash those i7s

thats funny, i have an i7 for sale right next to me hahah. i agree nothing wrong with old hardware my old desktop still runs great and im on an AMD64x2 3GHz, 4GB DDR2 and an 8800GTX video card. plays halflife like a dream and CSS with only like 4-10 ping which is pretty good considering what some other people are racking up in terms of latency.:thumb: but i also have a really good net connection (family owns the local ISP)built that computer oh.... over 6 years ago id say? (rough estamate) cost me 1100 bucks for everything from nothing

I have always used newegg for my pieces. Or a local comp show.

Before we start blaming the system... Lets see what's using his resources with task manager.
This has helped me a ton! Often what makes you slow us something in the background... Like too many in the background.

Iirc processors work in clock cycles, and while overclocking can help with speed, it overheats your system and without proper cooling, effects can be detrimental.

Id do this...

Run > msconfig

Deselect all start up in start up tab, reset. Anything vital will reactivate itself. Run task managee and monitor accordingly. See what actions cause your hiccups. If you can manage to swap out your ddr2 & test them now is the time. Any program you're unsure of, google it, then uninstall if needbe.

im on an AMD64x2 3GHz, 4GB DDR2 and an 8800GTX video card. plays halflife like a dream and CSS with only like 4-10 ping

sorry, no offense but, the last part made me go ???. you described your hardware, then mention your ping and not your fps? latency is mostly related to your actual internet connection and distance to server you play on.

your computer is alot better than my previous computer(my first custom pc) which played halflife 2/css/cod4 pretty well.

anyways, i played a bit of halflife2 puzzle maps, and i used to play CS:S alot, still a fun game to play. i used to play mostly scoutzknivez and gungame. fun times

thats funny, i have an i7 for sale right next to me hahah. i agree nothing wrong with old hardware my old desktop still runs great and im on an AMD64x2 3GHz, 4GB DDR2 and an 8800GTX video card. plays halflife like a dream and CSS with only like 4-10 ping which is pretty good considering what some other people are racking up in terms of latency.:thumb: but i also have a really good net connection (family owns the local ISP)built that computer oh.... over 6 years ago id say? (rough estamate) cost me 1100 bucks for everything from nothing

Holy ####-balls hell! I could complete a bottom end build for that! Or produce a jaw dropping system for half of the cost!

BF3 > everything.

and you can play CS "like a dream" with 10 year old technology.. you guys need a new benchmark ROFL

Holy ####-balls hell! I could complete a bottom end build for that! Or produce a jaw dropping system for half of the cost!

This was 6 or so years ago when that crap was top of the line, video card alonr back then was 400 bucks. I could also buil a way bettr machine for a way better price

Nothing wrong with CSS, it's still a kickass game. Especially since there are soo many mods for it now. My favorite games and most played till this day is TF2, CSS (zombiemod and minigames is my current favorite mods) and MW3.

I meant no disrespect to you at all. I'm actually always curious/happy to see your talon pop up on a regular basis as I go about my computerings. :)

I build $3000 systems.

Wut noa?

Seriously though. $3000, and even then I still need a display sometimes.
I know there's deals out there... but what kind of crap are you hocking (meant in the nicest way) for only $550?

Additionally, the market changes wildly. Enthusiast varieties of DDR2 went from $200 for 2GB to $100 for 4GB @ pc9600 in about a month or two back in 08/09. Things are pretty cheap right now, even, but I'm also certain I would need a hell of a lot more than $550 or even $1100 to get the best of the $3000 2008 machine I'm rocking right now.

But I'm also the guy who would rather go hungry than be stuck with the GeForce 2 GTS 32mb edition when the 64mb edition was just a few bucks more. If it's not the best - I go without. And, honestly, I don't feel that this is a form of elitism, no matter how it may look. It's just my preference.

Surely everyone games at 1920x1200, right? RIGHT?

Last edited:
I meant no disrespect to you at all. I'm actually always curious/happy to see your talon pop up on a regular basis as I go about my computerings. :)

I build $3000 systems.

Wut noa?

I know there's deals out there... but what kind of crap are you hocking (meant in the nicest way) for only $550?

Additionally, the market changes wildly. Enthusiast varieties of DDR2 went from $200 for 2GB to $100 for 4GB @ pc9600 in about a month or two back in 08/09. Things are pretty cheap right now, even, but I'm also certain I would need a hell of a lot more than $550 or even $1100 to get the best of the $3000 2008 machine I'm rocking right now.

But I'm also the guy who would rather go hungry than be stuck with the GeForce 2 GTS 32mb edition when the 64mb edition was just a few bucks more. If it's not the best - I go without. And, honestly, I don't feel that this is a form of elitism, no matter how it may look. It's just my preference.

i used to be that way... but then my DSM came along... went from building my own comps for outrageous $ to getting a mac for xmas in 2009 and havent bought a single computer part since hahah besides my 8GB Gskill RAM that turned out defective:notgood:

do you get choppyness with that kind of resolution? id think that on something like crysis 2 at full graphics would not be as smooth as it could be.

and no one ever said a 550 machine would be a good one, just said i could build one for around there hahaha an ideal average gamer machine now a days with last months top of the line crap would still be AROUND ( guessing as i havent shopped for a while) 1500 not including case or display, mouse/keyboard

I build $3000 systems.

Wut noa?

I can go only to 1920x1080 becouse im using my 26 LED Vizio Tv as my monitor. I do have a Dell 22" Monitor that can go a lill higher. But its not as cool LOL. Also I just ordered a 32 SSD on ebay for 43 shipped:) should be here pretty quick as its in PA

I keep my resolution pretty tame, about 1280. I have an older flat-panel that just can't handle too much more. I am about to get rid of that problem as well as grab of a pair of different cards. I've pressed my current ones long enough. ;)

Speaking of which, I have an old tower with a pair of 9800 GTX+'s that played Crysis and Crysis 2 on Ultra absolutely gorgeously. I also had OC'd the hell out of both of those cards...

do you get choppyness with that kind of resolution? id think that on something like crysis 2 at full graphics would not be as smooth as it could be.

Oh for sure I do! I mean, there's hardly a dual GPU/xfire/sli setup that can run crysis 2 with everything maxed @ 1920x1200 (16:10) or higher. I mean, you'd need a "ludicrous speed" video card to get that one nailed down, same goes for Metro 2033 - absolute card crushers.

But that's all they are. Sure you might enjoy playing those titles, maybe, but for me they're more of a proof of concept than good quality gameplay. So, extreme cases like Crysis 2, Metro 2033 etc just aren't relevant to me. I don't play them and won't likely, ever.

I'm much more interested in getting max performance from Unreal3 engined games. Everything I currently play runs at minimum of 30-40fps w/16xAF no AA @ 1920x1200. Not bad for 4 year old gear.

Physx, you say? Haha, forget it, not enough power. The CPU actually does a better job of the physx processing than my poor 8800gt. Batman: Arkham whatever and especially Alice: The Madness often leave me in the low teens or mid 20's when physx is on high :(

So, no I'm not invulnerable, but everything I play is comfortably playable (with those 2 exceptions regarding physx) at that resolution. Always better looking than a ps3/xbox360 and usually better performance - depending on how bad the consoles textures have been crippled to save fps, that is.

I'm currently expecting a GTX260 core216 to get a bit of a boost. All benchies and reviews say I can expect to be getting 75%-125% more fps across the board.

Yeah, that's right Alice, that's right Batman, I'm comin' for ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
For note - the 260 Slightly clocked with the evga precision tool runs SWTOR at max settings and 1680x1050 Without a single issue. ;)

Got my SSD and duel XFX 5770's running. She performs pretty damn well now. Boots up quick and fly's through everything i throw at it. Also i overclock my Phenom to 3GHz

Pics of what? the whole tower?

for anyone that has an ATI card(s) there is a program called Saphire Trixx that is a MUST HAVE

one click overclocking is a NICE feature... instead of having to flash the bios everytime i wanted to OC.

(and my cards aren't made by Saphire, so i assume the program works for all ATI cards.)

OS based overclocking suites are pretty neat, but I just don't find them as reliable, ya' dig?

The new CCC has the amd overclock built right in. Flashing the Asus bios is the best. U can use ther porgram and up the core voltage the get higher clocks. Right now im running a xfx be bios in both cards 975 core and 1300 memory vs like 950 core and 1200 memory with no ill effects

my clocks are 700/1000 stock
i've ran 1000/1300 through trix for benchmarks, with a slight increase in voltage.
was stable for long enough to do three rounds of 3dmark11 back to back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back