The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

after complete rebuild, enging won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc3521

Probationary Member
Nov 20, 2010
magnolia, Texas
i bought my car from a guy who spun a rod bearing, i took the motor out, had it bored .50 over, crank turned, complete head work done, put everything back together correctly. timed everything that requires being in time, now it cranks over, but won't fire. i checked the fire in each plug and they all fire, it doesn't backfire or anything so i know it is in time, but still won't start. has fuel cause i just replaced the fuel pump and when i crank and stop i can hear it build up pressure then kick off. i did notice the exhaust camshaft has 2 timing marks and wonder which way it sits. nothing i have found says anything else about it. what would cause it to not start?

Your cam gears have dowel pins. They must be pointing up while the timing marks line up.! If your ecu is dead or your cas is not working it will not start. Also you have a lttle device near the coil pack called a transducer make sure it is plugged in.

Your cam gears have dowel pins. They must be pointing up while the timing marks line up.! If your ecu is dead or your cas is not working it will not start. Also you have a lttle device near the coil pack called a transducer make sure it is plugged in.

what i have done so far is switch between 2 ecu's, switched between 2 coil packs and ignition control module, installed a new camshaft position sensor, retimed it about 3x(just making sure it's all good). i still have weak fire in the # 1, 3, 4 plugs...number 2 has strong fire.

What shape are the plug wires? Are the battery terminals clean and tight? Sometimes a bad ground can cause weird issues.

What shape are the plug wires? Are the battery terminals clean and tight? Sometimes a bad ground can cause weird issues.

the wires and grounds are good. i had to clamp a new main ground on cause the old one was all jacked up. plug wires are newer...still in good condition

There is a relay or fuse in the engine bay that my tech pulls whenever he wants
the car to crank but "not start". Make sure that is good.

Regards
Greg

There is a relay or fuse in the engine bay that my tech pulls whenever he wants
the car to crank but "not start". Make sure that is good.

Regards
Greg

which relay or fuse? theres a few you can pull to do that.

I know its in the engine bay fuse box. It is fairly big. Maybe 1x1 in size. I will have to ask Kevin and get back to you. I'm sure someone on Tuners knows what it is.

Greg

Been able to figure this one out?

i had the car running, it's not road worthy yet. but now recently it's doing the same thing again, it's cranking, has fuel, fire and getting air but it's just not starting. it will slowly pick up with some starting fluid but won't start. it's got me at a loss. found the hot wire going to the tps was broken and repaired that, but it still won't start. any imput?

same thing happened to me after a rebuild, it would fire after a while of cranking...my problem was bad gasoline. sounds dumb but i put new gas in it and it fired right up..if your gas is over a month old, id think about replacing it. it would look yellow i believe and have a lot stronger odor to it.

same thing happened to me after a rebuild, it would fire after a while of cranking...my problem was bad gasoline. sounds dumb but i put new gas in it and it fired right up..if your gas is over a month old, id think about replacing it. it would look yellow i believe and have a lot stronger odor to it.

well i already replaced the cps and cam position sensor after the rebuild and it would start and idle but had no acceleration, the tps hot wire was broken and i repaired that but then it wouldn't start. and now it just cranks and don't start. i bought some regular gas to put in it then later on bought some high octane gas to put into it. and still nothing.

ok the engine is running now, it idle's a bit high just under 1300, but the timing is retarted. it was firing about 20* after tdc, replaced the knock sensor, replaced the tps, it's better but it's still about 2* after tdc when firing, and when you accelerate, the timing advances a little but not where it's supposed to be, and when i put it in gear, it has no power, i can put the pedal down to the floor and it does nothing. what could that be? and what else other than the cpu controls timing? the crank and cam sensors are new also. i've replaced almost everything and and the timing is still retarted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back