The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The first one i used was a old kit borrowed, the kit i bought was #79005 from longacre

Awesome job.

What us your cars camber setup.etc.

Once my LCAs come in I'll be sending my car off to get set up. But need numbers that work.

The camber in front is -2° with the adjustable upper ball joint. The rear is -1° with spacers and eccentrics. The eccentrics are pretty much zeroed and the spacers are in. Toe is 0 all around. Ride height is slightly lower than stock. But not slammed by any measure.

Another issue I had that never happened before was boiling over the power steering fluid. At this track last year, when it was hotter out, this didn't happen. And even with my PS cooler, it didn't help. Saturated my driver's front wheel well. Not sure why that happened so I REALLY have no idea on how to keep it from happening again.
Anyone ever come across that situation?

Redline power steering fluid will help but beyond putting in a larger reservoir you can wrap the reservoir in pig blanket and monitor the level frequently. It's pretty common in street turned racecars.

Redline power steering fluid will help but beyond putting in a larger reservoir you can wrap the reservoir in pig blanket and monitor the level frequently. It's pretty common in street turned racecars.

I DID have it wrapped in a red shop rag with a zip tie around it LOL that became quickly saturated LOL. I'll look into a bigger res. What about like an underdrive pump pulley?

So, not much to update with the car. The Tahoe ruptured a fuel line so I've spent the last few visits at the garage dropping the tank on the truck and cleaning the garage. I DID experiment with a little safety wire situation that I'm gonna run on the turbine housing bolts. That should take care of the bolts loosening up. Also got new studs and picked up a nice copper gasket that should keep from blowing out lest this situation should happen again. But I think we figured it out.
IMG_20170828_192202.jpg

Got to put some work in yesterday. Got the turbo out, and safety wired the turbine housing bolts. First time doing it, and it came out ok. Gonna take doing it a few times to get it good. Also discovered it's way easier to get the turbo in and out from the bottom. So put the new studs in, new copper gasket, and got it back together. Still got some work to do before the last race of the season at Lime Rock.

So another issue that I had, was the rear brakes were operating at WAY higher temps than the fronts. So I went over the brake system and found out that when I did the ABS delete kit *cough 7 years ago cough*, I plumbed the prop valve wrong, and had the primary (rear port) going to where the secondary (front port) was supposed to go. So I had rear pressure at the fronts, and front pressure in the rear. So, while that much rear bias would help rotate the car, I didn't have enough front pressure, so now, when it's back to proper, I should be able to go a bit deeper into the brake zone. Now, We just got to work on being able to carry more speed through the corner, which is gonna be tires more than anything.

Also, I wouldn't have even thought about the braking issue, just would have contributed it to insufficient brake pads getting fade, but the rotor temp paint I put on showed how much hotter the rear rotors we're getting which led to some investigating. I had always assumed the front outlet port on the master was the primary port, since most master cylinders work in that manner. But. I was wrong. Live and learn.

Whata the bracing for? Have you got a panel yet to cover this or you going to make one

Whata the bracing for? Have you got a panel yet to cover this or you going to make one

Bracing is just to put a little structure back there and the battery is gonna be back there as well. Making a panel today. Well.....two panels cause I don't have a enough metal to make one panel LOL.

Bracing is just to put a little structure back there and the battery is gonna be back there as well. Making a panel today. Well.....two panels cause I don't have a enough metal to make one panel LOL.
If the battery is there then thats cool, makes sense,

So day two of operation sparetire well delete. Not super happy with how the floor came out, but it'll have to do till the off season. Also had some old roll cage tubing laying around, so I made a bumper, or bash bar as the drift guys call it. Also mounted my tow strap as well. All in all, not a bad weekend of work.
IMG_20170910_204616_012.jpg
IMG_20170910_164058_524.jpg
IMG_20170910_204616_060.jpg
IMG_20170910_164058_525.jpg

A little more work over this last weekend. Made some rear bumper brackets. Painted it all up nice. Relocated the master switch to inside the car. Installed a wing I bought. Not the best wing as it's not chassis mounted or anything, but I'm going to make some modifications to it to hopefully make it perform better. Also rerouted my wastegate dump back into the exhaust since I got pegged for being too loud at Lime Rock last time I was there. Hopefully this meets the requirements. Got a little over two weeks before the race, so still a lot of work to do before then. But most of it is on the truck at this point.
IMG_20170916_121435862.jpg
IMG_20170916_145143477.jpg
IMG_20170917_145745491.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back