The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, I was able to drive the car yesterday. Did a couple pulls in the neighborhood. Pulled the filter, metal in the filter. Cleaned it out. Did a few more pulls, more metal in the filter. I'm curious if it's still stuff coming from the oil pan that I missed when I cleaned it out cause the pan is tough to clean out. Going to keep changing the oil and cleaning the filter to see if it gets any better. This weekends race at summit point is out. Really bummed about that. Next race is NJMP the first weekend in August and I REALLY want to make that. A championship is now out of the question unfortunately. Now it's just seat time.

I do have the moroso pan. Gonna just keep changing the oil and cleaning the filter. Hopefully it comes out. It's ok. Now I don't go out till August, so I have time.

Got the new seat in the car this weekend. A lot of metal work and welding. Came out ok. Seats solid. And it dropped me down about an inch and a half in the car, which is good. Going there tomorrow and Friday to keep getting the car squared away.
IMG_20180707_112309.jpg
IMG_20180707_135812.jpg
IMG_20180707_171859.jpg
IMG_20180707_154406.jpg

Alright. Race week!! NJMP this weekend. 11 cars registered for both days so far. I expect to be a few registered by the time registration closes on Thursday.

Put in some good work over the weekend. A lot of little things. Made a new battery tray for the oddyssey battery. Got that mounted and wired. Ran a -4 braided hose for my OP gauge and now that's reading properly. It had been lazy prior, now it's nice and responsive. Hood pins are done. Tint is off. My buddy from LIWraps came down and decaled the car. Fixed some things on the truck as well. Loaded the car up on the trailer. Loaded the truck with my track supplies. Hoping to have a good weekend. Not gonna focus on winning. Just gonna focus on learning the car, and what it wants, and in doing that, I'll naturally get faster. Bringing the spare trans in case we have trans issues since 4th was giving me problems last time out. Really hoping to have a good weekend.
IMG_20180728_131915.jpg
IMG_20180728_162827_447.jpg
IMG_20180729_174648_723.jpg
IMG_20180728_181522.jpg

Well, we had a hell of a weekend at NJMP. Here's the run down.

First session out, in the bowl section of the track, I noticed the oil pressure gauge was bouncing between 60-80 psi. Came in immediately, and changed the oil. Cured that problem. Next session out, a combination of the cas nuts vibrating loose, and getting on two wheels off the T1 curbing, knocked the cas out, there by rendering the car a rolling road block. Got that sorted after getting towed back to the paddock. Next session out, popped a vacuum hose to the map sensor, causing misfires and no drive. Pulled in. Fixed that. 4th and final session, cooked off a 1:17.8. Which was good for second place behind a 1:17.7. Got beat by a tenth. That was pretty incredible though. Never been to lightning at NJMP.

Now to Sunday at Thunderbolt. When I was warming the car up Sunday morning, I noticed some electrical fluctuation, and the brake and charge lights were on. So we replaced the alternator causing us to miss 1st session. Went out for second session. Car was doing well, still learning what the tires can do. 4th gear has been an issue all season. Not going in fully, pooping out when I release the clutch, or sometimes it works fine. But more often than not, it's a problem. That session we went a 1:37.1. I went 1:36.4 there last season, so I was confident we could definitely beat that time. That is until we were going over the car and found d out that the dreaded stud curse hadn't been solved. Even with the stage 8 locking nuts, the studs started extracting themselves from their home. Blew out the gasket. Had no choice but to pull the turbo AND manifold to get it sorted. Missed 3rd session. Got it fixed for 4the session. They had combined the intermediate group with the student/beginner groups to save time at the end of the day. A lot of traffic. Definitely was not gonna have a chance to go faster. Then I looked at my water temp and it was pegged at 250. Took it easy for a couple laps to see if it would cool down. It didn't, so to save the motor, I parked it. Was still able to secure 3rd place in class.

It was a hell of a weekend, and we never ever gave up. The friends and family we had there were so supportive and helpful. After the season we've had, this weekend definitely feels like a win. Got some issues with the car that need to get sorted. I think the rings are fried. Smoking a bit. So we'll investigate that. Next time out for us is Lime Rock in October. There's a race at Pocono in September, but not sure we'll make it.
Screenshot_20180805-224907~2.png
Screenshot_20180805-224912~2.png
IMG_20180805_225205_533.jpg
IMG_20180804_152645_855.jpg
IMG_20180804_213557_939.jpg
IMG_20180806_122541_545.jpg
IMG_20180805_200039_054.jpg

That's awesome man, keep it up.. issues happen, part of the fun is working through them and making it better each time out... 250 is very hot! surprised the motor didn't get damaged with temps that high.....

That's awesome man, keep it up.. issues happen, part of the fun is working through them and making it better each time out... 250 is very hot! surprised the motor didn't get damaged with temps that high.....

Yeah. Super happy it didn't. As soon as I saw it on the gauge, I tried cooling the motor down by just coasting around track. Didn't work. So I just parked it. Going to the garage this week to go over everything. Yeah man. No quitting. We never gave up and fixed it. Great weekend. A 2nd and 3rd feels like a win.

Do you have no lift to shift? It will make for faster shifts and its a little nicer to the transmission for the high rpm shifts if I remember correctly. Plus you won't drop out of boost all the way. Hopefully nothing serious is wrong with your car. You should look up Nord-Lock washers. I have heard they are what you really want if you want bolts to stay in.

Do you have no lift to shift? It will make for faster shifts and its a little nicer to the transmission for the high rpm shifts if I remember correctly. Plus you won't drop out of boost all the way. Hopefully nothing serious is wrong with your car. You should look up Nord-Lock washers. I have heard they are what you really want if you want bolts to stay in.

No. No NLTS. If we can get the 4th gear issue fixed, we'll probably put it in. 4th is pretty toast at this point so a trans fix is definitely in order. And the problem we're having with the manifold studs actually loosening up in the flange. The nordwashers won't work since it's not the nut loosening up. It's the actual stud. Even with the Stage 8's in there, the stud still loosened up and worked it's way through the nut. Probably gonna drill and safety wire the tops of the studs that protude out of the flange.

I am planning to safety wire the bolts that hold the turbo to the manifold myself, they constantly vibrate loose and blow gaskets... I know you are using studs, but should fix it in either case.

I was worried about my oil lines from the oil cooler hanging too low and any possible off road excursions catching the lines and causing issues. So I converted from regular 90° fittings to -10 banjos with straight fittings. Definitely happy with the outcome
Screenshot_20180818-190749~2.png
Screenshot_20180818-190824~2.png

So, as it turns out, the guy that won at Lightning, that beat me by a tenth, was classed wrong. When they put him in the correct class, that bumped me up and we inherited the win. So, that changes a couple things. We're mathematically in striking distance of the points leader. 24 points behind him. Now, if I win every one of the last three events, he can finish 4th in every event and still win the championship. I'm hoping that he doesn't show up at Pocono, and we can go win those two days, and get us within 3 points of the leader before heading to Lime Rock, which I'm confident in a win there. So this weekend is super thrash on the car to get it ready.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back