The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

'97 Euro-Spec (#Germany)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I really like that car. I've been to Germany a dozen or so times, but I've only ever seen one DSM in the road.
Is that black interior a factory option for EU spec cars?

Black interior came first with the facelift '98.
The 97 model is a bit of a mixture of 2Ga and 2Gb.
Technically a 2Gb but with 2Ga exterior & all grey interior except the panels around the radio, etc.

Great project, Timo!

Looks like you've already done the T25 turbo conversion, and running the stock 10:1 pistons? Enjoy the slightly quicker spool :D! I rated your build and clicked on Follow. You should post more update pics, it's nice to see how other DSMers are modding their cars.

I'm just getting ready for the car. The conversion starts at the beginning of November, since I only registered the car between March and October. I do not drive the Eclipse in the winter anyways.

Have passed the 2-year inspection this week. :D
That was the most important preparation for me! :sneaky:

And one day later, I have registered the seats from the Evo in my registration certificate. 15 minutes and 90 € left at the TÜV :hmm:, but the car is now 100% street legal again.:hellyeah:

The following process is roughly planned between November and February:
  • remove the engine
  • replace the clutch (with one from an Galant V6)
  • replace brake booster (also from a Galant, fits better to Brembo brakes)
  • change engine attachments (injectors, intake manifold, etc.)
  • change timing belt
  • reinstall engine
  • install turbo
  • install GST-ECU
  • new fluids
  • and many little things that still need to be changed
Will post a few photos in the future, as soon as the conversion begins.

The slightly higher compression is similar to the somewhat rich mixture. The fuel pressure is slightly higher in the EU models.

Before I document the further conversion, I would like to show the history of my DSM and myself.

First of all: I didn't do anything professionally in the field of motor vehicles. I'm a Technical draughtsman and also an state-certified technician for mechanical engineering. I can teach myself a lot. I'm not afraid of electrics and I'm pretty fit in IT.

My History:
2009-09 After driving VW Passat B4 and Opel Corsa C for a short time, I bought my first car myself and in cash. My best buddy already had an Eclipse and accompanied me during the purchase.
001b.jpg

Maintenance was done by the local Mitsubishi dealer. I only changed between summer and winter tyres myself.

2011 New car for everyday use.
The Eclipse will only be driven on weekends when the weather is fine.
002b.jpg

2012-04 I was able to park the car in a barn. Unfortunately, I could hardly do anything to the car here. Only oil-free work.
003.JPG

2012-09 I moved and now was an 45 minutes drive away from my car. So I moved the car only very irregularly.

2013-06 I was able to park the car with an older lady in her garage. Only 2 villages further on, but thanks to traffic a good 25 minutes if you don't drive there on weekends. Therefore I spent most of my Saturday at the car.
Roughly speaking: Approx. 1.5 places in the garage and a small additional room (dirt room).
I didn't have to pay much. But unfortunately no running water.
004.jpg

2014-01:
The grey interior was removed, cables for Hi-Fi were laid and a black interior was built in.

2014-05:
Purchase of 2 Evo 8 leather Recaro seats with Evo sliders.
Conversion of the rails to the feet of Eclipse rails and subsequent disposal of the entire rails, as the heat from welding has distorted everything.
005.jpg

Sold the rest of the kit.

2015:
I have deregistered the car. Save costs and finally work on the car.
Here I also dismantled the brake system, changed to galant knuckles, changed the passanger side CV head, revised the Evo-Brembos and installed it afterwards.

This year I also bought an Evo 6 steering wheel. Fits Plug'n'Play with airbag and horn.
006.jpg

2016-04:
Purchased a used Tein coilover. Unfortunately 400km far away, but thanks to friends from the eclipse scene no problem. 4 weeks later the coilovers were brought home to me.
007.jpeg

2016-05:
In the workshop of my best buddy a small place became free, finally.
For a while I borrowed a set of 3000GT rims, because I didn't want to buy new tires for the existing Evo Enkeis.
008.jpg

2016-06: Tein coilovers built-in. Still on the borrowed Enkeis from 3000GT.
With little light and space to screw we continued. We were subtenants. Until the main tenant said he would quit the hall at the end of 2016. Our time has beaten!
008-B.jpg

2016-07: My buddy bought another Eclipse, because the old body was completely rusted out.
009.jpg

2016-09: After 2 years break the car registered again. Also the new Eclipse from my buddy is registered again.
010.jpg

Bought new tires, cause I lost the weight of the borrowed rims.
The first test drive with chassis and tyres went directly to the wheel alignment.
011.jpg

2016-12: I finally bought a turbo conversion kit. Stock T25 turbo conversion. Should do it for now. Will unfortunately still take some time until I start the conversion. (Yepp, I was damn right.)
012.jpg

2017-04
I'm renting the workshop with my best buddy. We are 2 tenants and have again 2 subtenants.
The year 2017 we have a lot of renovated and rebuilt. Among them was a floor slab made of reinforced concrete. 30cm thick. Reinforced steel frame and reinforcement mats in the area where we want to install a lifting platform.
013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 016.jpg 017.jpg

2017-09
After the separation from my girlfriend I wanted to find a smaller apartment. Ideally close to my work and also close to the workshop. Fortunately, an apartment became available right next to the workshop. Same landlady and also still favorably. Win!

2017-10
Last month of the registration and the registration of the rims, tire size, brake, as well as Tein coilovers started. I left early in the morning at 4:30, invited my companion for the day and some tools. 11 o'clock appointment for the registration and unfortunately the vehicle grinds extremely with the chassis and wheel combination. Even repairs on site, beading and new adjustment of the coilovers didn't help. One day wasted... I have 4 weeks time to make improvements.

2017-11
Two more times I have to drive with the car the 400km to the place of registration. Unfortunately, in Germany only one company promised me to register the JDM coilovers, cause only they had the necessary part certificates.
But at the third attempt I was 100% sure and it worked. The car is streetlegal again. Therefore, I had to apply twice for short license plates which unfortunately cost me 200€ for the 10 days.

On the same day my buddy bought an Evo 4 engine. Only 50km further. He wanted to swap it into the RS car.

From his first Eclipse I removed the engine. 4G63 N/A like all European Eclipse. Is now my replacement engine. But it needs new bearings!
018.jpg

2018 March to August
The car was moved about 1 time a month. Most of the time the hall was still under construction.
Unfortunately also the two Eclipse were fetched by my buddy from the local scrap dealer. According to experts also the second body was irreparable. The holders for the front wishbones were broken out. And we couldn't find any new domes for an RS body.

2018-09
Eifelblasen... Best time of the year and the car drove perfectly.
On the way there the oil level lamp came up, but soon went out again. I forgot to fill up the oil at the meeting. Had nothing with it, but already inquired some friends. Then the whole day full throttle through the Eifel around the Nordschleife and not even one problem. While slowly cruising home, the oil level lamp came on again. You don't have to understand. Oil was filled up directly by me in the evening.

2018-10
The Eclipse passed the main inspection by the TÜV without any defects. Everything perfect, only the handbrake has to be pulled very far. I will change the brake shoes this winter and adjust the handbrake. Spare parts are already in stock.

For the main inspection I had installed the OEM seats. 2 days later I used my own consoles again and drove it to my local TÜV branch and registered this structural change.
019.jpg
020.jpg

Completely self-designed and built. Consisting of original listening rails, square steel tube to compensate for the offset in height. On it 2 adapter plates from 5mm stainless steel.

Miscellaneous:
  • Double slot sized radio has replaced the original radio and watch compartment. But I'd like to retrofit something different, like an single slot sized DAB radio with a good integrated amp.
  • I already have two additional D1 indicators for oil temperature and boost pressure. Mounted in a holder from ExtremePSI (Glow Shift). But I'm very unhappy with the fitment!
    Half an inch of air between speedometer and frame ☹
    021.jpg
    Planning is to use a display for all additional sensors. This then below the radio.
    Additional gauges have already been removed and sold.
  • The battery has been moved to the trunk.
  • In winter 2019/2020 I want to change my suspension. I'm looking for a way to change the camber on the front axle. Thinking about exchanging upper wishbones or something similar. As legal as possible. I still have some research to do.
    Additionally I already have Energey Suspension bushings here. I will install them in the parts I have from the old Eclipse of my buddy. Still searching for the 4 sockets of the rear axle between lower handlebars and body/axle carrier.

2018-11 until now
The season is over and I want to start the build.
At the moment I have removed the gearbox and engine.
I left the air-conditioning compressor and servo pump in the car. I don't want to mess with it.
I will clean the engine compartment thoroughly and fight rust. Afterwards I will repaint where there are so many scratches.
The domes are still surprisingly good, but I will watch!
022.jpg

I won't change anything at the gearbox for the time being. Does not make any problems, and gets after the installation again new oil. Like all my oils from Liqui Moly (german brand).

The clutch will be replaced by a stronger one from an Mitsubishi Galant. Not OEM, but not much better. Exedy Kit MBK2052 (Found and bought in England).
The bearing will be from Mitsubishi, of course.
023.jpg

I’m still thinking about der fly wheel. Looks okay except for the discolorations. Smooth, even and without grooves.
024.jpg

The entire turbo conversion package is available in the scene in Germany. Main parts used, and almost everything OEM what is necessary.
025.jpg
But I won't use intake manifold, MDP sensor, GST-ECU etc..
Meanwhile I have an EVO2-ECU with ECMlink. Here the MDP sensor doesn't connect anyway, and the bracket for this sensor is the only difference to the European intake manifold.
026.jpg
I ordered many new small parts, gaskets and screws.
Getting an adapter harness between 4 plugs on car and 3 plug ECU.

On the engine side I dismantled the front case and sent it to Matthias, owner of the famous 1000PS AWD Colt in Germany. The bearing of the oil pump will be revised.
Unfortunately it has not come back to me yet.
As soon as the front case is back, I will rebuild the complete belt drive including the tensioner. Also the shaft seals in the front case will be replaced.
I will keep the balancer shaft. The quiet run is more important to me. I have to check the timing belts regularly anyway and always change the small belt with them.

To use the time I did the Oil-Gallery-Mod on the block. Just like Jafro I used Silly Putty to protect the block from chips.
027.jpg

Since I want to drive an oil cooler, I have prepared an Evo3 OFH. Minimal port job was done by the pre-owner.
028.jpg 029.jpg

Oil cooler is a Setrab Pro Line Series 1 with 19 rows.
Bought together with some Dash-08 fittings from BAT-Motorsport.
030.jpg

Turbo and manifold were already ported by friend of mine. The turbo is also completely revised.

I also used the meantime to fix the SMIC again. Some of the bridges were bent or broken off.
031.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back