The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11NOV2009 - Mishimoto Radiator with a 1630cfm SPAL Push Fan Install and Ordered ECMLink V3

For all you 2g owners running the stock radiator, check the neck of the upper end tank and make sure it doesn't look like this.

367.jpg

I decided that before the radiator inlet busted off and left me broke on the side of the road it was time to replace the poor thing. I did some shopping around and decided to go with a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and, since I had removed my A/C, a SPAL pusher to free up some room in the engine bay. I HATE chrome or anything shiny under the hood of my DSM so I had to do something about the upper end tank, out came the BBQ black.

DSC_2090.jpg

DSC_2091.jpg

DSC_2093.jpg

366.jpg

368.jpg

369.jpg

I also decided I was tired of jacking around with my logger and SAFC, I broke down and ordered ECMLink V3 so I could make full use of all the bolt ons I had.

:dsm:

21NOV2009 - Dyno Tune @ Road Race Engineering

Like I mentioned earlier, I was TIRED of fcking around with that SAFC so once I got V3 on the car it was time to get it tuned. Initially I messed with the cars idle and cruise, following the ECMLink Wiki as I went. Once I installed my AEM UEGO wideband gauge and got it installed correctly I called up Sam at RRE and scheduled a night on the dyno... AND WHAT A NIGHT WE HAD! :hellyeah:

Officially, I was supposed to be up there by 8:30pm but they were having difficulties with a DSM already on the dyno. I love BS'ing though so I didn't mind and it was a Friday night, nowhere to be but RRE. The car finally got up on the dyno at 12:30am and I was all smiles once the tuning began, something I had always looked forward to doing ever since I started mod'ing my car.

The results weren't EXACTLY what I had hoped for but the car ran great at WOT, nothing like it was on the SAFC. Here are a few shots I snapped that night/morning since I didn't leave RRE until 4:30am. :boring:

DSC_2108.jpg

DSC_2109.jpg

DSC_2110.jpg

DSC_2111.jpg

DSC_2114.jpg

DSC_2116.jpg

DSC_2117.jpg

DSC_2118.jpg

DSC_2120.jpg

DSC_2121.jpg

RREdynoSamC20NOV09.jpg

I was wondering why the low numbers but just noticed it was from november of 2009 LOL

Anyway, love the thread and your car... your results being so close to my best numbers but on a smaller turbo are what's inspired me to start playing with a 16g again, if i can get one and rebuild it for a good price; which i have found a couple options i just need money for it. Which i was getting close to having BUT, last night some one walked out of here with the 100 bucks i had to pay my discover card bill with that's due tomorrow... I heard the guy (friend) had developed a drug problem but gavehim the benefit of the doubt and left him alone for a few minutes in my room = bad decision i guess and now he's not allowed here without constant supervision

Making the amount of power I'm currently making on a small frame turbo makes for a fun DD, if you make the switch to a 16g and max it I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

18DEC2009 - New Time Slip After Tune

I could have cared less about the dyno numbers, I wanted to see how fast I could get the car down the track. The switch from the SAFC to ECMLink was hands down the best thing I've ever done to my car, getting it tuned was the next best thing. Sam at RRE did a great job and the track times showed, granted it was an 1/8th track but my fast previous to this was a 9.7 @ 75mph.

DSC_2127.jpg

It felt good kicking everyone else's ass down the track for once, usually it was me that was seeing taillights. I even won fastest in class for the night, that was the first time that had ever happened. I wasn't sure how fast my car was going to be so I signed up for the 9.0 class, I bogged a launch and hit a 9.022 on my first pass and won the class. :p

trophy at racelegal 18DEC09.jpg

01JAN2010 - Photo in DSMTuners Calendar

I decided to submit a few photos in hopes of getting one of them voted into the 2010 DSMTuners calendar and what do ya know?! I made it and I think it was July for pretty much all 12 months of the year in 2010. LOL

376.jpg

01JAN2010 - Photo in DSMTuners Calendar

I decided to submit a few photos in hopes of getting one of them voted into the 2010 DSMTuners calendar and what do ya know?! I made it and I think it was July for pretty much all 12 months of the year in 2010. LOL

View attachment 131959

Haha, I now know the feeling! It is currently August here in my garage :sneaky:

Blog, err journal, is looking great! Keep plugging along to the present. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
29JAN2010 - New Tires, Suspension, and Power Steering Rack

The first month of 2010 was a rough one for the DSM, I hit a nail on my way to work one morning, my power steering rack boot was torn, and I lost a piece of the passenger side door trim.

After putting on the spare and getting home I put on the 16" GS-T wheels so I could shop for the tires and suspension setup I wanted. The tires I had were 225's and I wanted something a bit wider for the 8" wide Evo wheels, I saw this as an opportunity to get a 245 tire but my car was too low. I figured I'd also take the opportunity to get a GSX suspension since I had my 8 year old GST Eibach/Tokico setup on there still, so I bought some Eibach Prokit GSX springs to lift it a bit. A buddy who's a mechanic at a local fire station had a spare 2g steering rack in his garage, he GAVE it to me (thanks Rigo) and also let me do all the work on his lift at the fire station. OMG

I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't get too many pictures, nor did I do much of the work. I went out the night before and drank way too much so, to say the least, I was about worthless the entire day and Rigo did all the work. After getting sick a few times I passed out on a nice and comfortable Snap-On creeper he had in the shop. I'm lucky to have good DSM friends, I'm pretty sure most people would have hit me in the nuts with a tire iron.

Here are the pictures I did take, mostly a before and after of the ride height and then a sweet one of my car as a EMT vehicle. :p

447.jpg

DSC_2262.jpg

DSC_2260.jpg

DSC_2270.jpg

DSC_2272.jpg

Once I got the car home, and I sobered up, I already had the fresh new rubber mounted on the Evo rims to go on the car. The tires are a 245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 and they fit perfectly with the new suspension, after I was off to Firestone for an alignment.

458.jpg

457.jpg

459.jpg

460.jpg

Blog, err journal, is looking great! Keep plugging along to the present. :thumb:
Thanks. To think, I've only go two more years of journal entries to catch up... :barf:

I wish there was an active calculator too, that way I could see how much money my dumbass has spent over the years.

20FEB2010 - FP2 Cam Install

Of course, nothing can be left alone. My measly 260awhp/280tq wasn't good enough and neither were my stock cams, so it came time to upgrade them. Fortunately for me, when I went to the track on Dec 18th, I met a DSMer that had just moved to the SD area and he had been doing this stuff a lot longer than me. After talking to him for a few months, because I was uncomfortable doing cams myself, he convinced me that he would help me do it and it would only take a few hours at that! I found a could deal on a set of FP2 grinds of ECMLink forums and Kris and I set aside a few hours one evening to install them, I did a lot of learning, too.

Thanks Kris! (banishedmunk)

Here are a few pictures I took during the removal/installation of the cams.

DSC_2322.jpg

DSC_2323.jpg

DSC_2338.jpg

DSC_2342.jpg

DSC_2343.jpg

DSC_2344.jpg

DSC_2350.jpg

DSC_2354.jpg

24FEB2010 - Photoshoot

I acquired a set of diamond star center caps for my Evo IX wheels and finally got them painted the way I wanted. So, after I installed them, I took the car out to the nearest parking garage (how original) and took a few pictures.

DSC_2358.jpg

DSC_2369.jpg

DSC_2375.jpg

DSC_2376.jpg

DSC_2379.jpg

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It doesn't seem like the car has gone far since I bought it, but once I start putting it on paper and doing this journal it makes me realize how far its come.

Thanks again!

28FEB2010 - Back to the Track, this time with ECMLink

I had been clicking off consistent 8.5 ~ 8.6 ET's at my local 1/8th mile track so, my new DSM buddy Kris and I decided it was time to go make that 100 mile North and give the 1/4 mile another go. Since my last 1/4 mile attempt I had installed ECMLink and had it tuned by RRE, then Kris had helped me install my FP2 cams to help that 16g hold boost a bit better in the higher RPM's.

Kris also brought his HX35 powered 1g with no 2nd gear (91oct) and still impressed me with the times it ran, 12.4 @ 114mph. :sneaky:

Here are the pics we took, even a video, at California Speedway!

I convinced the girl I was dating to come up and watch, all she watched was the back of her eyelids. LOL Now we've been together for 2 years!
DSC_2392.jpg

DSC_2405.jpg

DSC_2512.jpg

DSC_2527.jpg

This was my best run of the day, my clutch was dragging a bit if you couldn't tell watching the launch. I went into the two step and rolled through the tree, once I got back to the pits I found all it needed was a pedal adjustment. Thank goodness.

Why dont you run the talon 2gb front you bought off me a few years ago?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back