The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11JUN2009 - Timing Belt Skipped

Sounds simple but it wasn't. I drove to a buddies to help pull a motor, something I had never done at the time, and when I started my car up to leave it sounded like it was knocking. We did a compression test and everything was in specs however, I was still worried to drive it so I got it towed.

180.jpg

Not knowing what to do next I did some research around DSMTuners and decided to check mechanical timing.

GOOD

184.jpg

WHOOPS

186.jpg

I found that the timing was off and came to the conclusion that it must have slipped and skipped a few teeth, just wasn't sure how many. Without having the ability to do the timing belt change myself (appt complex rules) I had to go to a mechanic, the only place I trusted was the Mitsu dealership. I ordered this ---> Timing Belt Kit and waited for the parts to arrive.

While I was waiting I got the REST of my parts I sent off to the powder coater, matte black Evo IX wheels.

183.jpg

:dsm:

06JUL2009 - Towed To the Dealership For Repair

After a RELAXING 5 day Carnival cruise to Catalina and Ensenada I returned back to San Diego to find my timing belt parts waiting for me. I called the the tow company and had them haul my poor DSM down to the Mitsu dealership to have the timing belt changed. The whole time I was waiting I had my fingers crossed that none of the valves were bent.

207.jpg

08JUL2009 - Got The DSM Back and MORE!

Nothing but good news, besides the repair bill, from the Mitsu dealership. No bent valves and the only thing that failed was the tensioner so, after the timing belt change, the car was as good as new!

While the car was at the dealership (you may have noticed it didn't have a FMIC in the last post on the trailer?) I took the FMIC to a local anodizing shop and had them stain it black. Then, on my way home from the dealership, I dropped the DSM off at a nearby tire shop and had them mount the new matte black Evo IX wheels on the existing tires. I also got around to modifying my center console to mount my boost gauge in the OE cigarette lighter location and HKS Type 1 TT, as well as screwing on my Evo X shift knob.

DSC_1103.jpg

DSC_1104.jpg

DSC_1112.jpg

DSC_1107.jpg

DSC_1111.jpg

11JUL2009 - Mitsubishi Owners Day '09 (Cypress, CA)

It was that time of year again and surprisingly, my DSM was still working! :hellyeah: So, I cleaned up the engine bay the night before MOD (the car was already waxed from the dealership) and woke up early for the biggest Mitsubishi event on the West Coast.

Here are a few pics from MOD '09 that I took of the DSM...

DSC_1117.jpg

MOD '09 drive.jpg

DSC_1126.jpg

DSC_1127.jpg

DSC_1151.jpg

DSC_1203.jpg

DSC_1205.jpg

DSC_1207.jpg

02AUG2009 - Photos at Qualcomm Stadium

I don't wash my DSM often so when I do I've got no choice but to go out and take a few photos. These were taken at the San Diego Chargers football stadium (Qualcomm) on a RARE sunny day in San Diego. ;)

These are two of my favorites since my car was so low, running GS-T Eibach Sportline springs with the weight of a GSX SLAMS a DSM, if you didn't know.

DSC_1399.jpg

DSC_1402.jpg

19SEP2009 - 2gb Carbon Fiber Turbo Spoiler

I hadn't done anything to the DSM for awhile and had always wanted a piece of carbon fiber, just didn't know what. I found a company on eBay that was local to me and did made to order carbon fiber parts, the best part was I could pick it up local! I decided to give them a shot and I bought a CF 2gb turbo spoiler and 2 weeks later I picked it up.

I specifically told them NOT to clear coat it for me, here's what it looked like mounted on the car before I took it to the body shop.

302.jpg

303.jpg

27SEP2009 - Graffiti Shots (No Spoiler)

Before the new CF turbo spoiler came back from the body shop I decided to go take a few "spoiler-less" shots. I went to the two places close to me in San Diego that have graffiti on the wall and snapped few, I kind of liked the way it looked without the spoiler.

DSC_1799.jpg

DSC_1810.jpg

DSC_1811.jpg

DSC_1813.jpg

01OCT2009 - Photos of the CF Spoiler

Picked the spoiler up from the body shop and they couldn't have done a better job. They color matched the red and followed the lines of the spoiler just like I had asked, PERFECT!

CF spoiler.jpg

DSC_1861.jpg

DSC_1863.jpg

Definately looks better with the wing!!

13OCT2009 - 360* Customs Rear Diffuser

Yep. I was one of those few that got suckered into that group buy back in May 2009, then after months of waiting I finally got the piece of junk. I can't say I didn't try to make it work though, my car just suffered from GFF, FFG syndrome. The piece was carbon fiber and I thought it looked great on the car unfortunately however, it was cut uneven and it was a single layer of CF so you could see through it.

GOOD FROM FAR, BUT FAR FROM GOOD! So I ripped it off... :notgood:

If any of you are interested of the history about this group buy theres some reading material in the links below.
- GROUP BUY - 2Gb Rear Carbon Fiber Lip -
- Rear Lip Update : GROUP BUY : ETA EXTENSION:

Onto the pics. You'll notice that the lip isn't cut even across the top and gives the appearance that the car has a gangster lean to the right.

DSC_1875.jpg

DSC_1877.jpg

DSC_1878.jpg

How do you like the Hahn FMIC? I think it's a neat design. I've only seen it on 420 NAs that are turbo'd. I didn't realize they sold it with piping for a turbo 4G63.
I liked it, being past tense of course. Once I started going fast and running real boost one of the welds on the end tank popped a leak, I couldn't hold more than 12psi doing a BLT because of it. I gave it to someone who said they'd fix it and I moved on to the VRSF kit, that wasn't until summer 2010 though and we're still back in 2009. :D

Last edited:
I love the way the spoiler looks! I don't like taking other people's ideas, so I'll ask you if I can use it??
I can't even count on both hands how many people have taken that an ran with it since I did it in 2009. If you like it, gofer it. HAHAHAHAHA. :thumb:
So when do you get to the good stuff?
November 2009.

15OCT2009 - Carbon Fiber Head Liner

Because I like CF so much I wanted to get a piece that I could enjoy looking at while I was in my car, not everyone else looking at my car. I got that eBay company to make a 2g CF headliner with a cutout for the sunroof and I think it came out looking pretty damn good.

DSC_1885.jpg

26OCT2009 - Pulled A/C, PR Dumped Externally Gated O2 Housing & Tial 38mm Wastegate Install

After battling boost creep, and losing, I had to revert back to the stock downpipe to keep boost in check. I wanted to run a 3" (cat delete) downpipe and upgraded o2 housing with the ability to control boost, this was the fix. I got a Punishment Racing o2 housing flanged for a Tial 38mm wastegate.

I had been wanting to remove my A/C components because I HATE the A/C in the DSM, it sucks and it weighs a lot. So I pulled it.

DSC_2048.jpg

DSC_2054.jpg

343.jpg

DSC_2043.jpg

DSC_2042.jpg

DSC_2055.jpg

DSC_2058.jpg

DSC_2057.jpg

DSC_2059.jpg

30OCT2009 - Trip To Road Race Engineering & A Night In LA Before the Street Legal Races
After upgrading to that PR o2 housing I had created a small exhaust leak at the downpipe inlet, it was time to put on my Apexi GT 3" cat delete downpipe but my HKS Hi-Power cat back had to be modified first. RRE said they could do it in an hour and the next day the LA 1/4 mile track was doing Halloween street legal races; so I made it a trip. I packed my downpipe and a change of clothes and headed North to RRE so they could fab my downpipe to fit with my exhaust, what a great night too. After they installed the downpipe I drove to a hotel that was closest to the track and got a room to crash in before the race the next morning, you'll never guess what was on TV either. :p

I wish I took pictures of the install but I was too busy BS'ing with the guys working, I did happen to get a picture of my car in the shop though.

357.jpg

and there's nothing like LFL (Ladies Football League) the night before the race... ;)

358.jpg

31OCT2009 - Halloween Street Legal Races in Fontana, CA

Tech started early, 6am IIRC, and it was PACKED! A few of the LA DSM guys were meeting up and rolling in together so I joined up with them, met a few new faces too. It was my first time racing my DSM at a quarter-mile track and it was still on the old SAFC II and Palm Logger, with no wideband, so the tune was really conservative. To top it off, I had yet to launch my car after the AWD swap, so I knew going into it that I should be happy if my car makes the drive back to San Diego and not shoot for a certain ET.

We finally got through tech and made it to the pits, then started emptying the cars to make them as light as possible. With the A/C, spare tire, and my tool box removed I was finally ready to make a pass and 3 hours later I did. :| It was that busy.

Here are a few shots I found of everyone at the track that day.

waiting to pay @ street legal halloween '09.jpg

DSC_2071.jpg

DSC_2073.jpg

in the pits @ street legal drags halloween '09.jpg

in the staging lanes @ street legal halloween '09.jpg

with a video and my time slip. If you watch the video I apologize in advance for the douche announcer...

street legal drags at california speedway 31OCT09 - YouTube

DSC_2089.jpg

You'll notice my launch sucked, as well as my trap speed and time. All the way down the track my car felt like it was hesistating across the entire RPM band, without a WB though I didn't want to make any crazy adjustments to the SAFC to lean it out. My best guess was that it was running way too rich and I was too scared to lean it out, but my car drove 100 miles back home which is always a plus.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

360.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorite threads to follow, keep it up man!... and is ac really not worth it? i kinda want to put it back in my car..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back