The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 3: Locating/Dropping In AWD Gas Tank & Rear Subframe Bolts

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

Nice build man, I'm jealous of how lucky you are to have a garage to work in. But I have a question nagging my brain, what happened to the 97' GS you had? It was beautiful!
Actually, that wasn't my garage it was my friends. I lived on an aircraft carrier with a bed the size of a coffin for 3.5 years. I'm lucky I have good friends...

That bottom bunk with the curtains was my home from Nov. '05 to Jul. '09.

rack.jpg

As for the MGP DSM, I still own it and fix it when it needs it. The car has 180,000 miles on the clock and I just recently put a new clutch on it, actually.

gray gretchen evo .jpg

wow that must be a pain having a bed that small, mattress's look like their junk to haha. Not a big fan of the navy but I am of air force! Love the flight deck pic you posted earlier should post more of them if possible.

Love that 2G GS of yours such a beautiful car, never used to like the 2G's at all but the more I see them the more I want one.

You discharged or still in service? (cant remember if you said you were or not)

I have 1000's of pictures around the ship, I put a few up in the Random Photo Thread we've got on Tuners.

I'm still active duty but I'll be separating in 6 months, time to move on and grow up.

Woo hoo! another mt/awd swap! btw did you get my pm about the down pipe?

What caused the fire the RRE strut bar hitting the battery?

What caused the fire the RRE strut bar hitting the battery?
Something like that. ;)
gofer said:
Only after I pulled the strut tower brace did I realize, the brace had completely rubbed through the wire loom and insulation on the cable going to the (+) terminal on the battery.

13APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 5: Dropping A/T Transmission, Replacing Motor Mounts, & Strapping Up AWD Gas Tank

If you can't tell by the pictures below, dropping a FWD A/T is a pain in the ass. Once we finally got it off it was time to loosen up the bolts holding the flexplate to the crank and, in doing so, I broke my ring finger. Unfortunately for me, I was pushing as hard as I could on the breaker bar when the socket rolled off the head of the bolt and my finger went into the radiator. :cry:

A few of the photo I took were comparing the A/T VSS gear to the M/T VSS gear and the A/T motor mount to the M/T motor mount.

Enjoy. :)

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

19APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 7: Clutch Fluid Reservoir and SS Clutch Line Install. Removed A/T Flexplate Spacer!

The clutch fluid reservoir and SS line are pretty self explanatory however, for those of you who've ever had to remove that flexplate spacer should know how big of a PITA it is to pull. I can tell you that it took us nearly 6.5 hours of none stop abuse to it and we still had to get creative. Believe me when I say that we tried EVERYTHING and in the end we measured the I.D. of the spacer with a caliper and then took a trip to Home Depot and bought a wooden dowel with a matching O.D. I packed inside of the spacer with axle grease (from a torn CV boot on my FWD A/T axle) and hammered the wooden dowel into the spacer. The dowel was about 6' long so one crack on the dowel to the side and the spacer popped out like it was barely even in there. :hellyeah: F.uck'n right!

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0573.jpg

21APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 8: M/T Plate, RMDSM Front Sway Bar, ACT Chromoly Flywheel, and ACT 2600 PP/Street Disk Install

DSC_0578.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0594.jpg

DSC_0597.jpg

DSC_0598.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

Don't judge me, I know those aren't the right PP bolts holding it to the flywheel. OMG

22APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 9: AWD Transmission Install

Not a whole lot to see here, Dan got the transmission bolted to the block and wrapped things up until I got back from a 5 day underway on the aircraft carrier I was attached to.

DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0640.jpg

DSC_0641.jpg

29APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 10: Routed Shifter Cables and Installed My Symborski Shifter Base Bushings, Axles, Driveshaft, and Transfer Case then filled the Transmission with Fluid

I had just gotten home from a LONG week out at sea so I was motivated to get my car finished. I got off work a few hours earlier than Dan so I got to work on the easy stuff, saving the hard stuff for him to do. Everything was coming to an end, what a great feeling...

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0645.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

DSC_0661.jpg

DSC_0664.jpg

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0677.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

30APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 11: FINISHED! The AWD Swap.

It felt good to be taking the car off the jack stands and back onto its own tires, definitely a little nerve racking though. Dan and I had never done anything like this before so we were in for the unknown and hoping we didn't skip a crucial step in the swap because it seemed too easy.

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0682.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

Found another shot of the car backing out of the driveway after the swap, its iPhone quality but a classic none the less. :thumb:

145.jpg

Besides the reverse lights not working, which is a downside of swapping in a M/T and still using the A/T wiring harness, the only thing that needed adjusted was the clutch pedal. You can see Dan under there (in the last picture) trying to get a wrench on it while I was snapping a photo, I was so excited. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Gofer, Just want to commend you on an awesome pictorial/thread on the swap from FWD to AWD as well as the key notes on making the swap from AT to MT at the same time.. The ET's you are running on that setup is truely an inspiration to me to not only go back to a smaller turbo but to clean up the car in general, your shiz is ####-n-span!@

And you're right, the swap isn't that hard, I had the same thought of "what did i miss" goingon for a week at least but everytime i did the checklist everything was covered. Now if i could just stop replacing parts that were bad from buying a driveline that sat for YEARS before i got it, i'd be i heaven LOL

Did you use the royal purple in the trans too or just the t-case and diff? I currently have Gl-5 (wrong stuff) inmy trans cause it's all i could get and i'm debating wether to go with synchromesh or something like the shock proof oil.. i like the results i hear about the synchromesh but it does seem like a rather thin fluid, and i don't "shock" my trans with hard shifts, but am making a good bit of power.., hell from whati've read though even going back to a GL4 would be a workd better than what i've got.. buti really can't complain about this shifting since i fixed the worn pedla in my 2g assembly, it's just that faster/easier is always better :D.. I used a trick some one passed onto me that builds their own DSM trannies and put about 3/4th's a quart of ATF Dex III w/ mercron into the trans before adding the GL-5 to supposedly help shifing and like i said i can't complain.. I hope to finish mybuild thread with some pics of my swap and other things i've done lately

keep the good info and pics comng, love that car of yours!

Thanks man! When we first jacked the car up off its wheels I wasn't planning on taking pictures of anything accept beginning and end. My buddy, who helped with the swap and stored the car in his garage while we did it, asked his wife to take pictures that first day we started pulling everything off. After that I realized it was probably a good idea but I got a little carried away, I think I snapped 800 pictures total. More is better than less I suppose! The swap, even from A/T to M/T, seemed like it all fell into place which worried me once we got the car back onto its wheels. But who knew? The AWD swap really is THAT EASY! :)

The Royal Purple SyncroMax was used in the trans and the Max Gear was used in ONLY the transfer case, we never pulled the axles out of the rear diff and it already had a fresh quart of Redline Heavy Weight in it. I don't recommend either of these fluids though, looking back I wish I would have done more research on the subject. Now, I run only Redline fluids and this is the breakdown for each...
  • Transmission - 50/50 mix of Redline MT90 and Lightweight Gear Oil
  • Transfer Case - Redline Heavy Weight
  • Rear Diff - Redline Heavy Weight
This is what Shep recommended and, for whatever reason, I trust that guy. LOL

I'll keep posting up, I've still got 2 years of catching up to do!

Any word on that downpipe, im still a bit intrested and i havent gotten a PM back, Good work!

Nice work. I love your swap. It's in my favorites on Google Chrome. Keep up the posts.

10MAY2009 - First Long Drive AWD and Out To Sea For 3 Weeks

The AWD swap was done about 40 minutes away from my home (no garage) and the Navy wanted us to go back out to sea for 3 weeks. I had to get the car home eventually so, after going over everything to make sure it was good, I started my 40 miles drive. I was a bit nervous so my buddy Dan (who helped with the AWD swap) followed me in his Evo until I made it all the way back. To both our surprise nothing serious was acting up after the swap, just a partially working fuel gauge and no speedometer.

Here's the first shots I took of the car after the first long drive in the newly AWD swapped DSM.

AWD first drive.jpg

after AWD swap rear.jpg

It was fun having my turbo DSM back again, especially after all the work making it M/T AWD, but I had to park it and go out at sea. I took advantage of my time away though, I gave everything I wanted powder coated to a buddy to get coated matte black so it would be done once I returned.

Leaving my cars behind in long term parking...

160.jpg

Returned 3 weeks later and installed all my matte black pieces... :hellyeah:
(IC piping, HKS bov, front bumper brackets, heat shield, clutch master bracket, fusebox bracket, and hood post)

179.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back