The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton Smith

Probationary Member
May 11, 2018
Glendale, Arizona
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
So Lately my Daily Driver has been running fine, pulls hard at over 50lbs/min, Done me right for over a year. So when I turned it on and it didn't want to start without throttle or idle due to what felt like a bad igniter Which I'd experienced prior on my other DSM I was sure of a quick fix. So out comes the tools and all my spare parts.

Immediately Plugged in the cable and started testing. I had no contact between Cylinders 1 & 4 on the Misc. Tab within ECMLink. Cool, It's likely the Igniter as I thought, which it wasn't ( I have a few kicking about )

Checked out good:
-Plugs
-Wires
-Coils
-Igniter
-wiring from ECU to Igniter to Coils via Ohm Signal (Connectivity)
-Has Spark
-Injectors tested ad cleaned 1187cc/1200cc
-Fuel pressure tested solid at 45psi and is located after the rail
-Swapped ECUs and same issue.
-Swapped MPI Relay (Had temperamental starting prior #Fixed that)

So I revert it all back to how it was prior, it starts. Idles. Drives. SO I grab the my laptop and hit the road.
I then had immediate injector loss Mid Pull. Found a Clue to my issue. I had a solid 62% curve which spiked down to 0% before coming back. Not enough to flinch the AEM AFR gauge though, It lasted maybe .100 of a second. Car then reverted back to it's 2 cylinder status after decel. With it at this stage and limped back into my driveway, I again tested the injectors and it was reacting to me turning off all of them 1 by 1. Leaving me with a multiple symptom headache.

I've been at this for a few days now, and with my years of experience pointing to an internally corroded wiring harness, I wanted to get some 2 cents on this Diagnosis before I find another and rebuilt it due to sites like Rywire discontinuing theirs.

I have not done a Resistance check yet, however, I don't know what else it could possibly be.

Attachments

• 34984429_1798752493514261_2524898126699954176_n.jpg
    34984429_1798752493514261_2524898126699954176_n.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 38
I've neglected to repost on here, I dug about my stache, swapped CAS, and kept running datalogs to try and pinpoint what was going on. Basically I had corroded wiring for the Cylinders 1&4 signal to the igniter. I replaced about a foot in length total. Harness is just brittle and I presume moisture got past the cracked insulation. The wires themselves had started to change color so I snipped those bits out and had less resistance. Band-aide it while I redo my other harness and get it in the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back