The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt and 7 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hispanic4lyfe52

Probationary Member
Nov 17, 2012
Jacksonville, Arkansas
ok i have a shit ton of parts building a 4g63 motor alright one of my buddies said that to not get so much crankwalk u can put the 6 bolt head on the 7 bolt botttom block is this true what would be the difference if i just put the 6 bolt together instead of switching them im kind of a newbie when it comes to building a 4g63 motor

The head has nothing to do with crank walk and unless your 700hp or more don't bother with the 6bolt head. You'd rather want a 7bolt head with 6 bolt bottom but not absolutely necessary.

Prevent your crank walk by replacing the oil squirter's and keeping your engine as clean as possible. Use proper weight oil 10w-30 or heavier. Avoid crap filters such as fram. Use mobile 1, ams oil, wix, puralator pure one, or k&n only.
Avoid using heavy pressure plates for the clutch. An act 2100 can hold 350lbs of torque. Next step would be a 2600. If you start slipping it I would go twin disk clutch rather than a heavier pp.

Start your research now and not after you put everything together and come back complaining your car has all these problems or it blew up. Measure/check twice and build once. If ever in doubt check it again before going any farther.

Ok now how hard is it to do a 6 bolt block and.a 7 bolt head I heard u had to do some modifications to do that and what's the difference between 7 bolt block to 6 bolt head y can't I just put 6 bolt block to 6 bolt head

Ok now how hard is it to do a 6 bolt block and.a 7 bolt head I heard u had to do some modifications
It's easy. The 7-bolt head has slightly smaller holes for the head bolts, so they have to be drilled a bit alrger to accept 6-bolt head bolts/studs. There are other small differences, but that's the main one.

y can't I just put 6 bolt block to 6 bolt head
You can. That's the easiest and smartest thing to do.

Ok so what would be the point of switching the head
Your buddy didn't know what he was talking about. He was under the impression that you can prevent a 7-bolt from getting crankwalk by adding a 6-bolt head. This is absolutely not true. As discussed in this thread the head has nothing to do with crank walk. Zip, zilch, nothing. If you continue to hold on to the concept that head swapping somehow cures or prevents crankwalk, you're going to give yourself a big headache.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back