The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G64 into Auto AWD questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
I've researched this off and on, and I'm perfectly fine if you want to just link me to the thread where this is already answered if I missed it.

My 2G needs a block. Short a sweet of it, is I am tempted to get a 4G64 block as a replacement for it. I know what's involved in 4G64 swapping a turbo DSM...but I've never done it on an Automatic. I've researched and I found one person that did it, and he said he needed the stock TC machined down to fit the 4G64 crank, because it wasn't deep enough? Is this true? Or does the kiggly flexplate fix this? Do you have to machine the torque converter for a 4G64 in a 2G Auto application everytime or is there a way around it?

You have to remove the pilot bearing in the 4g64 and get one for an AWD. The pilot bearing form a FWD application will not be large or deep enough. (I have this issue in my AWD 93 Summit Wagon, the motor is from a 95 Galant 2.4, and the pilot bearing is causing issues for the starter. I just can't get my pilot bearing out.)

If you want to go the Kiggly plate route, just get the old pilot bearing out as the Kiggly has incorporated an opening to as as a pilot in it.

You have to remove the pilot bearing in the 4g64 and get one for an AWD. The pilot bearing form a FWD application will not be large or deep enough. (I have this issue in my AWD 93 Summit Wagon, the motor is from a 95 Galant 2.4, and the pilot bearing is causing issues for the starter. I just can't get my pilot bearing out.)

If you want to go the Kiggly plate route, just get the old pilot bearing out as the Kiggly has incorporated an opening to as as a pilot in it.

So I just need an AWD pilot bearing for the crank? Will the pilot bearing from the 7-bolt motor in my 2G work? If that's all it needs, that's pretty awesome news.

Yes, it will work. It isn't fun removing that old pilot bearing. Sometimes they get seized in there pretty tight. You might need to put a cut in the outside of it and hit it with an air-hammer to get it to spin. I have yet to try this on mine as I hate dropping the tranny over and over...

Yes, it will work. It isn't fun removing that old pilot bearing. Sometimes they get seized in there pretty tight. You might need to put a cut in the outside of it and hit it with an air-hammer to get it to spin. I have yet to try this on mine as I hate dropping the tranny over and over...

ROFL I hear you man. I guess if I have to cut it up too bad getting it out, I'll just order a new one. This is awesome news though for sure. Looks like the 2G will be getting a 4G64 a lot sooner than planned. Just need to figure out what the do with the stock motor and the spare 6 bolt I've got. :p

correct me if I've misunderstood. I was told you can not use a automatic or manual transmission from a 1g car (eclipse, GVR4) with a 1g 6 bolt 4G64 block? Something about the 4G64 block being too wide ? can I get some clarification??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back