The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Now LS swapped 3000GT, was 4Gswapped

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

familyMAN updated 4g auto swapped 3000GT

View updates to this DSM profile...

MQOZCx9lbeKbdVPAcIVIY5QfeNoLVN-LTmVjHiMXgns=w168-h223-p-no.jpg

QAEIxfWPbJFyBnBKGW1sMGRp_B78bw5iQq9NSwplpMc=w158-h209-p-no.jpg

Attachments

• photo%2B3%2B%284%29.JPG
    photo%2B3%2B%284%29.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 405
  • QAEIxfWPbJFyBnBKGW1sMGRp_B78bw5iQq9NSwplpMc=w521-h695-no.jpg
    QAEIxfWPbJFyBnBKGW1sMGRp_B78bw5iQq9NSwplpMc=w521-h695-no.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
From what year would this fit.
Any pictures of the swap.

You have to make it fit:D

Here's one when it had the 14b in it. It's in a few pieces now as I finish the long rod build and HX40 setup.
photo%2B%284%29.JPG

Can you explain exactly what you did for the drivers side axle, and for the driveshaft?

I'm working on bascially the exact opposite swap. I'm putting a 3/s getrag in my car. I found a 93+ fwd axle plugs into the 3/s trans and the dsm hub. Now I need an intermediate shaft for the driverside.

Any idea how much this cuts down on weight? Any idea what it weighs now?

Just a guess on weight loss is 80lbs. 40lbs for one head. 20lbs for one turbo. And 20lbs for the block and two less pistons/rods/pins. Crank weighs the same. Total weight loss with everything I have done (still have carpet and front and rear seats) I'm estimating at 445lbs (some parts weighed when removed; others using 3S forum consensus on weights). Curb weight is listed at 3790. I haven't weighed my car yet to see if it really is 3345lbs now, but will soon.

Can you explain exactly what you did for the drivers side axle, and for the driveshaft?

I'm working on bascially the exact opposite swap. I'm putting a 3/s getrag in my car. I found a 93+ fwd axle plugs into the 3/s trans and the dsm hub. Now I need an intermediate shaft for the driverside.

Unfortunately my setup will not help you. Completely different setups. (auto vs manual and different hubs.) Can't remember how many splines on a getrag intermediate shaft, but just count yours and then see if any 4g intermediate shafts match the count. You may have to "adjust" the length of the shaft but it may fit as is. The length of the 4g and 6g engines are within ~.5".

Interesting swap though. Are you documenting anywhere? Gears will hold up to any torque a 4g would ever consider spitting out, but high rpm shifting isn't great on a getrag.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my setup will not help you. Completely different setups. (auto vs manual and different hubs.) Can't remember how many splines on a getrag intermediate shaft, but just count yours and then see if any 4g intermediate shafts match the count. You may have to "adjust" the length of the shaft but it may fit as is. The length of the 4g and 6g engines are within ~.5".

Interesting swap though. Are you documenting anywhere? Gears will hold up to any torque a 4g would ever consider spitting out, but high rpm shifting isn't great on a getrag.

Yeah I was just hoping it might give me clues on what cups and bars fit together. I'm kinda hoping I can run a 3/s intermediate shaft and inner joint, then a 93+fwd bar and axle.

DSS, will make me a driveshaft and an intermediate shaft, but they are going to put a premium on it. :(

I am excited about the gears. I've killed a half dozen stock sets, and I really don't think the dogbox would be any better.

I'm not documenting it anywhere right now. I'm gonna wait until I get it finished before I do anything. I don't want 4 pages of "it won't work" "buy a built trans" "get an auto" from people that don't even have a running car LOL.....

As far as shifting, I'd have to say its 99% the clutches fault. None of them release for shit. I'm working on a twin disc setup using the exedy hyper twin sprung hub discs from an EVO.

At first I was really turned off by the ratios, but I did a bunch of investigation, and it looks like the jdm 6speed final an tcase would make things pretty good. I put the relavent numbers for my car into http://www.wallaceracing.com/drag-sim.htm, and it shows a .2s improvement in the 1/4 for the same power and 60' with the stock 5 speed 3000gt ratios. .1s with the jdm finals.... Hopefully we will know in June.

Sorry to clutter up your thread.

Yeah, the JDM 6sp should be better for you.

I'm using a 3000gt fwd auto passenger axle but I'm auto. 4g auto intermediate shaft. Stock driver side 3000gt VR4 was approx an inch too long so I used a passenger side axle (which is shorter) and swapped the inner cups so that it would slip into the intermediate shaft.
Here's a pic of stock 6g72 turbo axles. Top is a stock passenger side. Bottom is driver side. I swapped the cups (male/female) and ended up using two passenger axles.
halfshafts-3s-front-new-07-600l.jpg

I think what you can try a 4g intermediate shaft. The 6g intermediate shaft won't bolt to your block.

FYI...2g DSM drive axle and 3000gt driver axle are the same compressed length.

Slightly different subject, but still mixing and matching mitsu parts....
Anyone compare a DSM and 3000gt steering rack side by side? I want to try a true manual rack instead of a depowered rack. No 3000's came manual. I can make a mount if the mount isn't correct. Track width is 3.7" wider on a 3000GT but no idea how the rack width compare. They appear to be VERY similar and may just need a tie rod swap. PM me if you have a manual rack...I'm willing to gamble:D

Last edited:
Holy crap this is awesome. I have allot of questions and comments here but first I may have some useful axle info to add. Let me preface this first by explaining a little about what I am working on and have been doing lately. I have a 90 colt vista I am doing a dohc swap on atm. It is a sohc 4g63 stock. I am planning an auto swap for this car as well, some of the similarities to your 4g 3s are sort of eerie actually familyman but let me try to get the potentially usefull info out of my head first before I start to sidetrac. I am using a fwd 2g dsm (gst) wavetrac front differential, this uses the bigger 27 spline axle inner. These are the same as a fwd 3s I've found out, I was not sure about the awd 3s front diff but from what bastardsm is saying it appears the getrag uses the same big 27 spline inner amazingly. I am also planning on widening the track width and using 3s vr4 outer hubs, mainly for the native disgusting brake setup and delightful bolt on bearings, but there are other reasons for the track width as well, one being using the stock fwd 3s (relatively) equal length big spline inner and outer axles. The outer axle hub splines for all the 3s cars are the same, 1g,2g, fwd, awd. They are bigger than the dsm axle hubs though. If you do have the bigger 27 spline front diff the 4g intermediate shaft will be too small.

From my testing some parts interchange and some don't, as familyman has pointed out one of the nice interchanges is the splined connection between the intermediate shaft and the outer driver side axle just after the carrier bearing. The 3s and 4g are the same and you can mix and match the 2 piece axle inners and outers. I am planning to run the 3s intermediate on a 4g block, it's not much different than the 4g shaft length wise, the mount itself is different but you can press the 3s off and press the 4g carrier bearing bracket on. it does not match exactly though distance wise. I am planning to cut the bracket and mock everything up with the intermediate shaft in place and bracket bolted to the block and reweld it where it needs to be. The offset is not large. I cannot see any nicer way to go about this other than like you already said a custom intermediate, which I also priced at the driveshaft shop. Honestly I think the big stock 3s shafts and larger outer cv joints and splines at the outer hubs are stronger than most of the aftermarket dsm stuff. And you can find the 3s stuff in salvage yards for spares still. A custom bracket and control arms seems like a better solution than custom axles. What if you do break one? With that said you may not need to alter the control arm length, I did some testing with different axle combos and none of it worked out directly for me with the colt but it has a narrower track width than the dsm and yet a 3rd style of outer hub spline. It could be too short but I would bolt up the 3s intermediate and the dsm outer driver side axle combo with the inner boot off and see how far out the tripod bearings move. I think it will be close, if you have a lower ride height and never have too much droop in the front it might never be an issue about trying to pull out. If mine works out ok and you want I could probably make you a 2nd carrier bearing bracket.

Heres some pics of the axle testing and a chart I made to cross reference 3s and dsm front diff and axle stuff with my colt.

top to bottom
Stock 3s, fwd, 2g axle in a 2g dsm wavetrac. Notice the carrier bearing bracket for the 6g
stock 1g dsm awd auto outer axle plucked off
stock 90 colt vista , different carrier bearing bracket but the 4g block is the same and the dsm bracket bolts on fine, also YES your eyes don't deceive you, that axle for the 90hp sohc is nearly as big as the 3s, makes the dsm look like a toy and there is a goddam u joint in the intermediate, I have no idea why.
2ezlgus.jpg

top to bottom
same 3s, carrier bearing bracket pressed off
stock colt
dsm awd auto outer driver on 3s intermediate with dsm carrier bearing bracket. damn close to the colt but no go.
dsm awd auto intermediate showing length difference vs 3s. Familyman this is likely why the 3s driver didn't work for you, nice save with the passenger axle btw.
200fzwj.jpg

1zbz6s2.jpg

I haven't researched the awd 3s stuff yet. I honestly didn't think there was going to be interchange.
For me the 2g wavetrac should fit my km182 (stock colt 5spd trans) as it uses the same bearings already MD710663, and the 3s axles fit the diff at least and will clear my tcase and all for the auto swap. km182 is awd too but the tcase is ABOVE the steering rack like an evo so the equal length halfshafts are to clear the future w4a33 swap. I believe the MD707184 seal for the smaller 25 spline inner axles can be directly swapped for the bigger MD742053 seals on my km182 now. I am not sure about the w4a33 for bigger seals yet, the driver and passenger dsm awd transmissions use different small seals.

Bastardsm, if you look for a 3s intermediate shaft look for 92+, if you look a the axle seal and spider gear part #s you can see the axle interchange. The 3s stuff before 92 used the similar dsm small 25 spline inners. This may also be a solution for the awd auto big axles, if the 3s awd uses both different and similar seals for driver and passenger side small axles prior to 92 maybe they have unequal size larger seals for the 92+ that will fit the w4a33.

Okay, so upon reading that I realize it's a little hard to understand everything thats going on there.

Bastarddsm, I am suggesting you try a 92+ 3s intermediate shaft with a dsm awd driver axle and a dsm 2g fwd turbo passenger axle. If it seems to work I can maybe make you a carrier bearing bracket or you can have one made.

Familyman, the good news is if you snap front axles you've got a whole game plan here for a stronger front diff and stronger front axles using all stock parts aside from a modified carrier bearing bracket. Not that autos are hard on axles or awd cars are hard on front axles, or you are moving a full weight 3s, but still nice to know.

Btw considering you are obviously a clever and creative guy and interested in auto stuff do you have any input on my auto center diff idea? http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/awd-auto-center-diff-locker.489201/

Dude, wow. Thanks for all that info. You just saved me several hours of searching and buying shit to return at oriellys when it doesn't work.

Let me back up though, you saying that early 3/s use DSM size front axles? I have an 18spline trans and mines got the big 27spline axles.

I apologize for not being more knowledgable on the 3s awd stuff. It sort of wasn't relative to my specific interests when I was researching and comparing junkyard stuff. I'm not sure what 18 spline refers to. It is my understanding that all the 3s stuff went to the big 27 spline inner after 92, I am not sure if any of the 1g 3s awd transmissions used the big spline or just fwd. It might be that the entire 3s awd run was 27 spline. Or even something different, I can only say the 1g 3s fwd axles are the same physical size as the awd dsm because they use the exact same axle seal. MD707184 and a very similar front diff spider part # MD722129 for the 1g fwd 3s, dsm awd is MD722127. The 3s fwd auto spider # is different but it seems to be the same too as I believe that is what familyman is using. 1g 3s fwd auto front pass axle x2 spider part # MD733840, seems to work with the dsm 2g awd auto spider part #MD722127, like all the dsm awd front diffs.

"I found a 93+ fwd axle plugs into the 3/s trans and the dsm hub. Now I need an intermediate shaft for the driverside."
I was assuming this with was a big 27 spline axle from a gst. What was the exact car it came from? Was the inner axle big or small?

I will try and look stuff up when I get a chance but if you would like to look at it yourself here is the link

http://mitsubishi-motors.kiev.ua/1/# if you are using chrome sometimes google translate will work. Otherwise the 3rd column is usdm, which my colt kindly is not in.

Here is a chassis code cheat sheet, once again no D08W listed. I should just call it a space wagon ala euro, they can't even run my vin at a mitsu dealership in this country.

143059-0-0-0.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back