The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 420A to Evo 8 Engine Swap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybe cause you can't drive? There's GST's cutting 1.8 60's with slicks. If you spin though on street tires, so be it, AWD doesn't take a GREAT driver to pull a good 60, just rev it, slip it and go. Not exactly a challenge.

+1

And yea, my 2g is def a DSM. I have no idea why you would think otherwise when they have the SAME motor. But it's okay if your mad. Go step your game up and get historical plates. I get it in :dsm::laser::talon:

You misread my argument. I'm calling BS on the story, not because of a lack of Evo motors overseas, but a lack of 2g DSM's with a 420a engine. If only a few hundred (maybe less?) were shipped to Japan, how many non-turbo 2g DSM's were shipped to Taiwan? My guess would be less than a hundred. So, assuming 100 non-turbo DSM's were imported into Taiwan, and this guy's "friend" has done the swap on over 40 of them, that means that 80% or more of the DSM's in Taiwan have Evo engines in them.

Again, I call BS on that part of the story. That someone swapped in an Evo engine on a 420a-equipped DSM? Totally believable, the pics are right there. That this swap has been done more than 5 times in the world? Sure, I'll buy that. That one dude in Taiwan has done it to over 40 cars when that number is probably representative of a majority of that type of car in the country? Doubtful.

You forget about all the US military bases over seas. The military will pay to ship a car over seas. The the service man will either leave it behind or sell it and buy a new one state side. Also you forget about all the US teritorys in the pacific. Like the curently hard hit American Somoa. So just b/c a few hundered were inported to Japan what about the rest of the asian market? There are/were several countrys in the Asian area that have right hand drive. When the norm is left. I would be willing to bet there are several tousand dsms in the Asian market. I the guy said the swaps were done in tiawan just b/c it was done in one small country doesnt mean they were not shiped there to have the swap done. There are ferrys between those small island countrys. We hear about them capsizing all the time.

Yup it is. I was able to talk to a guy that actually knew the guy that did this to the bumper. He said it was a modified bumper. This looks like if it could be a great help against overheating if they make a vent that goes directly to the radiator and widens as it reaches down the radiator to have more surface area of coverage rather that to just have the openig without anything to route the air just to the radiator.

I love this idea. If it's truly a relatively straight forward no nonsense build of course. The Evo version of the 4G63 has a lot of support. A lot more support than the 420A motor. Also AEM won't be discontinuing their stand alones with that motor any time soon like they are with the 1st Gen DSM's.

The other reason I'm such a huge fan of this idea is because I'm not crazy about 4 door cars. They just sit way too upright to make room for backseat passengers which sacrifices the cockpit feel and sporty atmosphere. I think the 97-99 DSM's are the most attractive japanesse 4 cylinder cars ever made. But I am a fan of the Evo version's of the 4G63 engines. So if I had a 2GNT and I wanted to make a lot more power, I would go this route rather than boosting the 420A.

So to clear things up, yes I would much rather have a 97-99 GST or GSX. But I would much rather have a 2G with an Evo motor than having an actual Evo.

Sorry to inform you but no 2g is a DSM its a physical impossibility. The collaboration dissolved in mid 94. ALL 2g were manufactured under Mitsubishi. I only have hate for people who mis inform others and go around saying things that are totally wrong and just stupid.

First off why are you trying to be a smart ass??? Ya mitsu took over the operation but technically the contract/agreement wasn't up until 98 when they dropped the eagle so ya they are DSMs.. Why does it matter anyway.. My car was made in normal IL with a 94 build date.. In the DSM plant.. Crysler still designed the body features until 97ish.. Its so funny when some starts flipping out over stupid stuff like this in a thread that is completely off topic from what he is saying..

Back on topic.. I think this is a ok alternative to someone that has a SICK n/t and can't get rid of it.. But other than that i think its rediculous.. That 1500 dollars can be spent making a DSM 4g way better than the EVO 4g

...So if I had a 2GNT and I wanted to make a lot more power, I would go this route rather than boosting the 420A.

So to clear things up, yes I would much rather have a 97-99 GST or GSX. But I would much rather have a 2G with an Evo motor than having an actual Evo.

A 4g from a dsm will yeild more power for less $$$ than an evo 4g. And let me get this straight; you'd rather a FWD 2g over an Evo?!?!?

quayzar590awd....you my friend have no idea what your talking about.....the colaboration between Mitsubishi and Chrysler died in 96...thats why the Eagle Talons died in 96...no more 4Gs from Mitsu = no more cars.....and hence the reason Mitsubishi switched to the 420A and you get a ton of Dodge Neons with Bastard Child 2 Liter DOHC Engines that are well.....trash.....I own a 92 Talon, a 95 Talon TSI, a 95 GST...and you cant tell me the engines and the entire car are not Exactly the same......anyhow back to original thread....The Evo Motor in a 2G would be Sick but Costly, take it from me I had a 3G Eclipse with a 1G Motor Swap and you talk about a pain in my ass and costly but i imagine the Evo motor would cost double or triple....and i spent close to 6k just to have a Non turbo 4G63 in my 2001 Eclipse :notgood:

this thread is full of a bunch of BS.. guys arguing over 2g's being dsm's, and some modified stock bumper.. BIG DEAL. I want to know if this would be a good alternative for n/t DSM's?!?!

i want to see a FU****G build thread ASAP

i dont care if my car will be FWD, or AWD if i can drop an Evo motor in my n/t talon that would give me something to look forward to since i dont ever want to get rid of my first car.. ..ill always be attached to it

this thread is full of a bunch of BS.. guys arguing over 2g's being dsm's, and some modified stock bumper.. BIG DEAL.

HAHAHA

i want to see a FU****G build thread ASAP

There are numerous build blogs about 4g's in NT's

i dont care if my car will be FWD, or AWD if i can drop an Evo motor in my n/t talon that would give me something to look forward to...

That's the whole thing, if you are going through the trouble of swapping motors you can have a dsm 4g in an NT and make more power for much less money. AND you have the option of going AWD ON THE CHEAP as well, if you really cannot part with your NT. You could do an evo 4g with it's AWD system but it will cost you thousands more than a dsm 4g/AWD setup.

Pete

I think this is a great swap for those with N/A 2nd gen, now this swap is possible then making it AWD is too, I've even seen the 3rd gen eclipse with this evo motor and made into a AWD using the Evo8 parts. it looks and sounds easier on the 2nd gen "DSM" though. here is some pic's of the 3rd gen doing it too this one is FWD.

Attachments

• 3rd gen eclipse.jpg
    3rd gen eclipse.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 538
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 575
  • 3rdg.jpg
    3rdg.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 544
  • 3g.jpg
    3g.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 535
Thats a good way to use a manifold in the 2nd pic.

If all DSM's came FWD with a non turbo 420a engine I'd say this is an awesome swap. But when there are DSM's with AWD and a 4g63 already in them it seems retarded to spend a ridiculous amount of money on an evo swap. That's my 2 cents. If you are so attached to your NT, keep it as a nice clean DD and get youself a GSX or TSi AWD.

OK there are people butting the Evo motor in the 8g galant, now if the evo motor will work in the 2g, i have a derfint way cheaper way you can use the 4g64 block out of the 3g eclipse or the 8g galant and find a Kia DOHC because the head shares all the valve train from the evo, there a few people doing the dohc swap to there 8g galant and going turbo so what i'm trying to say you can have the same set up for a little less, not dirt cheap but a little bit easyer on the wallet

here is a link were a guy did it and he is going turbo soon

Galant Forums.com • View topic - Duh2150 Engine Build up ***EPIC***

OK there are people butting the Evo motor in the 8g galant, now if the evo motor will work in the 2g, i have a derfint way cheaper way you can use the 4g64 block out of the 3g eclipse or the 8g galant and find a Kia DOHC because the head shares all the valve train from the evo, there a few people doing the dohc swap to there 8g galant and going turbo so what i'm trying to say you can have the same set up for a little less, not dirt cheap but a little bit easyer on the wallet

here is a link were a guy did it and he is going turbo soon

Galant Forums.com • View topic - Duh2150 Engine Build up ***EPIC***

Where can you get the valve cover and ignition coils that the guy has on his galant?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back