The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 420A to Evo 8 Engine Swap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorry to inform you but no 2g is a DSM its a physical impossibility. The collaboration dissolved in mid 94. ALL 2g were manufactured under Mitsubishi. I only have hate for people who mis inform others and go around saying things that are totally wrong and just stupid.

Mine was made in 9/94 and its still a dsm..... BUT its a 2g

There are absolutely 2g "DSMs" Does no one remember the '95 like the man above me said?

Sorry to inform you but no 2g is a DSM its a physical impossibility. The collaboration dissolved in mid 94. ALL 2g were manufactured under Mitsubishi. I only have hate for people who mis inform others and go around saying things that are totally wrong and just stupid.

damn it sounds like someone has a shift knob stuck in their butt hole:cry:. and so what if they do an engine swap from a different car, as long its the same make, jebus christ. for instance my 72 ford came with a inline 6 and now its got a 351w in it. still ford.

as for the evo in the gs:hellyeah:. its pretty sweet. i was actually thinking of something like that for my gs a few years ago but then i got my gsx. props to the guy that managed that.

Alls I want to know is what 2gb bumper that is cause it's not stock. Anyone know???

I will talk to my friend in Taiwan that has been doing this swap for 2 years now and has done over 40 RS and GS 2nd gen to evo 8 swaps.

Something about that seems funny. I doubt DSMs were exported to Taiwan in great enough numbers to warrant 40+ of Taiwanese owners to undertake this swap, RS or GS notwithstanding. Also, the EDM 2g's were sent with 4g63nt engines, not 420a's. I wonder if the Taiwanese exports got the 420a or the 4g63nt.

Something about that seems funny. I doubt DSMs were exported to Taiwan in great enough numbers to warrant 40+ of Taiwanese owners to undertake this swap, RS or GS notwithstanding. Also, the EDM 2g's were sent with 4g63nt engines, not 420a's. I wonder if the Taiwanese exports got the 420a or the 4g63nt.
Thats a good point:hmm:. Considering how close taiwan is to japan i would think they would have N/T 4g's but i wouldnt know. Iv neve been there.

Alls I want to know is what 2gb bumper that is cause it's not stock. Anyone know???

to me it seems stock, just that they either put bondo or fiberglass to blend in the fog light bezel and intalled bigger fog lights the size of what the outside of the fog light bezel is. pretty good idea thought as it seems that it would clear the fog lights from any intercooler piping that gets thrown behind it. :hmm:

to me it seems stock, just that they either put bondo or fiberglass to blend in the fog light bezel and intalled bigger fog lights the size of what the outside of the fog light bezel is. pretty good idea thought as it seems that it would clear the fog lights from any intercooler piping that gets thrown behind it. :hmm:

I think hes referring to the big gaping vent between the headlights that isnt normally there.;)

I think hes referring to the big gaping vent between the headlights that isnt normally there.;)

All that took was something to cut the hole out, then some fiberglass work. Skilled body guys can make it look like it came out of a mold that way.

Sorry to inform you but DSM stands for Diamond Star Motors a sort of independent manufacture. 1gs, 2gs, Dodge Avengers there counter part 1g Chrysler Seabring Coupe (in which 50% identical to 2gs) 3g eclipse, Dodge Stratus Coupe and its counter part 2g Chrysler Seabring Coupe are all built by Diamond Star Motors AKA DSM!

So how do you say a collaboration was ended in 94 when most 2gs come with Chrysler engines, transmissions, and computers stolen from the dreaded NEON! Also if it was ended why would Chrysler have 3 cars based on the same plat form (talon avenger seabring coupe all are body code FJ big joke at chrysler is its stands for F'in Junk). Also Chrysler was using a mitsu V6 in most of its vehicles and had a Chrysler trans be hind it which was also in the avengers and seabring coupes.

If the collaboration was ended you would see eclipses and talons with the EDM non-turbo 4g63! Not 420a's

Actually this make great sense. There are abundance of evo8 engines over seas in the Asian market. Its not like here where you can go get a 420a at any junk yard out of a neon, etc. It would have to be imported much like we import the JDM 4g63s and it would probably cost more to get a 420a over there than to get that evo engine put in by a shop! So I would rather spend $1000+ on a evo8 than have to get the parts shipped in or to ship in a used 420a (while they are good motors I would really balk at paying $1500+ for a lower mileage 420a shipped in from US)

The 2gs ARE DSMS, that's like saying a apple isnt a fruit. Even if the so called partnership ended before the 2gs, they still made TWO cars TOGETHER and they slapped there own badge on each one, one being a EAGLE and one a MITSUBISHI, making them DSMs. The 2gs in fact are MORE DSM then any other generation. How? ONE had a mitsu engine and one a chrysler engine, and they even said dsm right in the engine compartment, and remember the FASTEST DSM is 2g so at least respect that.

Props on the uniqueness of that! :applause::thumb:

And to everyone that thinks the 4G63 is the only good motor out there :nono:

All that took was something to cut the hole out, then some fiberglass work. Skilled body guys can make it look like it came out of a mold that way.

If that really is the case then I am going to get that done but I'd rather have proof that that is what happened cause if there is a bumper out there like that I want it. :hellyeah:

-Danny

Fiberglass will not adhere to a polyurethane bumper. Different plastic substrates, and if it does, it will not last long untill it cracks.

Fiberglass will not adhere to a polyurethane bumper. Different plastic substrates, and if it does, it will not last long untill it cracks.

Correct fiberglass will not stick. How ever it could be a fiberglass oem style bumper. Or it coould be that the body man used the expoxy that is designed for repaing urethane bumpers and used the execes of what he cut off for the inner parts.

I am leaning more towards a fiberglass bumper due to the fact even when you use the epoxy designed for urithane I do not belive it will hold up to the flexing that area will see

Actually this make great sense. There are abundance of evo8 engines over seas in the Asian market. Its not like here where you can go get a 420a at any junk yard out of a neon, etc. It would have to be imported much like we import the JDM 4g63s and it would probably cost more to get a 420a over there than to get that evo engine put in by a shop! So I would rather spend $1000+ on a evo8 than have to get the parts shipped in or to ship in a used 420a (while they are good motors I would really balk at paying $1500+ for a lower mileage 420a shipped in from US)

You misread my argument. I'm calling BS on the story, not because of a lack of Evo motors overseas, but a lack of 2g DSM's with a 420a engine. If only a few hundred (maybe less?) were shipped to Japan, how many non-turbo 2g DSM's were shipped to Taiwan? My guess would be less than a hundred. So, assuming 100 non-turbo DSM's were imported into Taiwan, and this guy's "friend" has done the swap on over 40 of them, that means that 80% or more of the DSM's in Taiwan have Evo engines in them.

Again, I call BS on that part of the story. That someone swapped in an Evo engine on a 420a-equipped DSM? Totally believable, the pics are right there. That this swap has been done more than 5 times in the world? Sure, I'll buy that. That one dude in Taiwan has done it to over 40 cars when that number is probably representative of a majority of that type of car in the country? Doubtful.

have you ever driven a turbo fwd dsm? These things dont hook like a fwd honda not w/o a ton of work atleast

Maybe cause you can't drive? There's GST's cutting 1.8 60's with slicks. If you spin though on street tires, so be it, AWD doesn't take a GREAT driver to pull a good 60, just rev it, slip it and go. Not exactly a challenge.

from the "almighty VFAQ":
The Last Word: C'mon guys, we're all brothers by now. :cool:

Both my underhood and door sticker say DSM :p:aha:

A corporation is a legal entity separate from the persons that form it. So even if they are manufactured in different places they can still be under the same brand. Just because the Normal, IL plant was no longer utilized doesn't make it a DSM or not. There are plenty of other examples.

I this is an awesome alternative to turbo'ing a 420a. You probably end up spending a couple $k more but end up with something that has more potential and is unique.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back