The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 420a Engine No-start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkPhoria

Proven Member
Feb 24, 2015
South Gate, California
Car overheated and I pulled over to turn it off to prevent further damage. Oil and coolant were extremely low.

I fixed some gaskets and torqued things down to prevent leaks.

I've also done the following:
  • Compression Check - 180PSI all cylinders
  • Timing re-done
  • New Timing Belt Tensioner
  • Swapped Tensioner Pulleys for ones that are in better shape (not new)
  • New Ignition Coil
  • New Spark Plugs
  • New Battery
  • New MAP Sensor
  • New Fuel Pump
  • New Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • New Fuel Filter
  • New Air Filter
  • Cleaned Throttle Body
Symptoms as of now:
-It cranks
-Runs rich (black smoke from tailpipe), spark plugs are wet
-Starts *while* acceleration pedal is pressed and idles at 100-200rpms for 5-10 seconds then dies
-With Engine coolant temp sensor off, it runs rough at 1000rpms, full throttle.
-When it does start there's a loud squeaky sound but it doesn't sound like the belts.

Things I'm going to look into:
-Bright Blue spark from spark plugs. If not, I will check plug wires and anything before the ignition coil.
-PCV Valve
-Idle Air Control

I'll see if i can get a video to those who are prefer a visual.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
-Runs rich (black smoke from tailpipe), spark plugs are wet
so have you determined that the plugs are wet from fuel?

i would unplug the coil pack, pull the wires and plugs, and unplug the injector harness at the throttlebody. throw a towel over the valve cover and then crank the engine over a few time, then let it sit so the cylinders have a chance to dry out.

-When it does start there's a loud squeaky sound but it doesn't sound like the belts.
where is the sound coming from, the timing belt area?
if so it could be your water pump or a pulley is seizing up.

Last edited:
so have you determined that the plugs are wet from fuel?

i would unplug the coil pack, pull the wires and plugs, and unplug the injector harness at the throttlebody. throw a towel over the valve cover and then crank the engine over a few time, then let it sit so the cylinders have a chance to dry out.

where is the sound coming from, the timing belt area?
if so it could be your water pump or a pulley is seizing up.

Well I assumed its fuel since the spark plugs are wet and smell like gas. There was no question that it wasnt gas.

This may sound stupid but I'm thinking the sound is coming from air restriction (aka: clogged vaccums). Although it is a very high pitched and it pulsates rather than staying consistent. The sound didnt happen before the car went down.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back