The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 300-350hp 14b Setup options opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n00btalon

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 13, 2005
lebanon, Pennsylvania
Alright my goal is 300-350hp... im looking to stick with the 14b :D have mine rebuilt what not... what are some of my options to achieve this? simplicity is key... but at the same time im open to all options and opinions... i know some of you guys like the budget power and others like ''doing it the right way''. So what are some of my options to achieve this and what do you have to say?

right now...

1g Talon AWD

3'' Turbo back... (3'' high flow cat... apexi n1)

EVO 3 Manifold...

Boost Gauge...

Fidanza 2.1 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel

thats pretty much what i have right now... :rocks:ROFL

The only reason I say nitrous is because it's rediculous you would max out your engine and fuel setup on a 14b.

For your 14b to push the power you want it better be completely rebuilt and rebalanced. Your junkyard 14b is going to eat itself before you hit 300hp

I say your 14b, I just mean any generic used 14b

The only reason I say nitrous is because it's rediculous you would max out your engine and fuel setup on a 14b.

For your 14b to push the power you want it better be completely rebuilt and rebalanced. Your junkyard 14b is going to eat itself before you hit 300hp

I say your 14b, I just mean any generic used 14b

I do agree, was just being snarky.

If I really want to go after a high power 14b turbo-only setup, I'd definitely have the turbo gone through meticulously. I may try it since eive got a ton of spare 14b parts laying around.

I think a maxed out 14b on a good tune would be a bunch of fun for a while. I have one on my bench right now that I just picked up a mint 16g exhaust housing for. Its going to go in my other 2g GSX which Ive had for about 14 years now. Its been sitting awhile as all the attention has gone toward the latest one I picked up but I plan to squeeze whatever I can out of it with 93/methanol. Wish e85 made sense to use where I live.......but it doesn't......at all.

go for it man- have fun

If I really want to go after a high power 14b turbo-only setup, I'd definitely have the turbo gone through meticulously. I may try it since ive got a ton of spare 14b parts laying around.
There's nothing to really improve on a stock 14B. I've set a few up for guys looking to make big power where I've machined the inlet to taper in toward the compressor wheel, but aside from that you just use the 7cm2 housing and that's as good as it gets. Upgraded thrust hardware is completely unnecessary because the compressor is so tiny that thrust loads are almost nonexistent- the best you can do is hope your 14B has a left-hand threaded compressor locknut so it doesn't come loose during operation.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

he best you can do is hope your 14B has a left-hand threaded compressor locknut so it doesn't come loose during operation.

Do not all of the 14B turbos have a reverse thread shaft? I remember about 7 years ago ago I had one come loose on me and kill the turbo. Back then it never occured to be which direction the nut threaded. That might have been the cause though if it was RHT. Or are you just refering to a lock nut vs regular nut?

There's nothing to really improve on a stock 14B. I've set a few up for guys looking to make big power where I've machined the inlet to taper in toward the compressor wheel, but aside from that you just use the 7cm2 housing and that's as good as it gets. Upgraded thrust hardware is completely unnecessary because the compressor is so tiny that thrust loads are almost nonexistent- the best you can do is hope your 14B has a left-hand threaded compressor locknut so it doesn't come loose during operation.

I see, good to know! Right now I know mine is laggy since it's in a heavily ported eBay housing. Mostly if I decided to go for a really high zoot setup, I'd just make sure to have it balanced and port match/taper (as you showed) anything I could for unimpeded flow. I haven't looked in a while, but I recall clipping the turbine wheel coming up in the 14b drag race thread, but idk if it'd be needed on a 14b. Maybe a 9 blade turbine, but even then, seems overkill for a little turbo and I'm not sure gains would be had?

Do not all of the 14B turbos have a reverse thread shaft? I remember about 7 years ago ago I had one come loose on me and kill the turbo. Back then it never occured to be which direction the nut threaded. That might have been the cause though if it was RHT. Or are you just refering to a lock nut vs regular nut?
Actually *most* 14B's have a right-hand threaded shaft. I've seen very few that were left-handed. In fact, some early Big 16G's and most Evo 1 and Evo 2 16G's (01420, 01450, 01460) are right-hand threaded as well which would indicate a changeover somewhere around late 1993 / early 1994. At stockish boost levels they may last forever but crank up the shaft speed and load the compressor in the same direction that backs the nut off and you have a recipe for disaster.

I see, good to know! Right now I know mine is laggy since it's in a heavily ported eBay housing. Mostly if I decided to go for a really high zoot setup, I'd just make sure to have it balanced and port match/taper (as you showed) anything I could for unimpeded flow. I haven't looked in a while, but I recall clipping the turbine wheel coming up in the 14b drag race thread, but idk if it'd be needed on a 14b. Maybe a 9 blade turbine, but even then, seems overkill for a little turbo and I'm not sure gains would be had?
Taper the inlet, 7cm2 housing, full rotor balance (early 14B's were not rotor-balanced from the factory), and I even went as far as to shave the locknut down to the size of the wheel's hub to prevent any interruption in airflow as well, although the center of the tornado it's where all the damage is being done it's still a small detail that I pay attention to. That's as good as it gets for a 43/58mm compressor in max-power mode.

I haven't seen a single case where the 9-blade wheel made a massive improvement in turbine flow over the stock turbine...they have a little better spool and transient response but I'm not sure they do a whole lot to improve flow unless it's a case where it's being over-driven by a massive compressor. It seems the limiting factor is still the physical size of the wheel more than the blade design and count, though I'll still continue to use 9-blade 05H turbines on most billet turbos 16G and larger that I build just to make certain that if a turbine flow issue occurs it's not because the turbine is stock.

I have been drifting away from using the larger 9-blade turbines a bit because I've seen more than one instance where they lose a section of a blade for no reason at all. It's almost as if the blade is too thin and unsupported over a long distance to handle the temperature and pressure or something. Haven't run into any 05H or 05HR wheels like this yet, but I've seen at least one of each as an 06H and 06HR which reinforces my statement of the material being too thin to span the longer distance under the temperature and pressure. If the design gets revised to be more like the MHI TF06 wheel I'll consider using them again, but in the meantime I'll only install the 06H and 06HR 9-blade wheels if the customer asks for it and still approves after I give the above explanation and show them this photo:

I have been drifting away from using the larger 9-blade turbines a bit because I've seen more than one instance where they lose a section of a blade for no reason at all. It's almost as if the blade is too thin and unsupported over a long distance to handle the temperature and pressure or something. Haven't run into any 05H or 05HR wheels like this yet, but I've seen at least one of each as an 06H and 06HR which reinforces my statement of the material being too thin to span the longer distance under the temperature and pressure. If the design gets revised to be more like the MHI TF06 wheel I'll consider using them again, but in the meantime I'll only install the 06H and 06HR 9-blade wheels if the customer asks for it and still approves after I give the above explanation and show them this photo:

Looks like a possible fatigue failure (probably low-cycle) based on the application.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back