The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GVR-4 2L long rod vs 2.2 SLR

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90laserRSfwd

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2007
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Looking for technical advice, (or opinions) on building a bottom end. Needs to be able to easily turn to 9,500rpm on a regular basis (42r)

Not looking for advice on the rest of the build, just the short block. Wanting to do a 2L since it's a simple off the shelf build, but a 2.0 long rod is just as simple, then there's the 2.2 short long rod that I've seen another member post about

94mm stroke crank, 153mm rods, stroker style pistons I believe?

I'm very interested in the extra displacement, and if it's as simple as it sounds, I'd go the 2.2 route. I currently only have a standard 4g63 block (6 bolt) available to use as a starting point, I'm not interested in the 2.3L at all..

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/stroker-destroker-and-long-rod-engine-basics.461017/

Have you read this article? I think the pistons might be a lil harder to decide on if going with custom ones vs off the shelf

I have a 2.3 being built and a long rod high comp 2.0 being built as well.. it's been almost 3 months at the machine shop...

But my 2.3 is going in an auto GVR4.. 2.0 in another 5spd GVR4

I bought everything new, but second hand so I didn't pick my specs. Excited nonetheless , sorry cant be much help

@ buddahboost: I did read that article, as well as, "to stroke or not to stroke" PDF another member sent me via PM. While it was info I already knew, it didn't touch on the 2.2 SLR engine I'm considering (maybe that combo wasn't thought of until after it was written?). Non the less, thanks for your input!

@ tametalon92: I have no interest in trying to source a good, G4CS block to use with my current setup. I have a good 4g63 6 bolt block already (hence the reason for staying away from the 2.1).

I feel like the 2.0L long rod is just a "better" version of a 2.0L. More rod length, and angle, with less potential wear on rod bearings can't be a bad thing. I also feel like the 2.2 SLR setup would benefit me greatly (being I have a journal bearing gt42), so the extra displacement, would really help with keeping the car "more enjoyable" on the street. I do understand the boost threshold of this setup is going to be in the 6,000+ rpm range on a 2.0, and likely 5,700+rpm with a 2.2

I've been reading up on all the 2.2L setup stuff I could find, seems easy enough, as long as I buy a 94mm crank (Eagle being my only option here, save for a $4,000+ wineberg crank), standard rods are super easy, that leaves the pistons, which JE or Wiseco can easily do.

In the end, it's looking like the 2.0L long rod will probably win out, as paying for a new crank, and having the machine work done to it, will likely add $1,000 to an already expensive build. I'm still wanting to do the 2.2L as I plan on driving this car on the street from time to time. Thanks for the info so far, please chime in if you guys find anything else my limited google searches have failed to provide.

Understood, if i werent going to use mine, I'd offer my g4cs to you. If I happen across another one I can let you know!
I'd say the 2.2 is a cool option, but I'd probably do the 2.0 as well in your case.

Thank you! I appreciate that, if you don't use it, let me know!

I'm hoping someone from English Racing will notice this thread and chime in, I recall them being the ones that built the motor (2.2SLR)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back