The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2g Fwd Spring Rate help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20g 95 GS-T

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2011
Lynch Station, Virginia
I'm looking to purchase a set of Feal 441 coilovers in the road race option, and looking for advice on the spring rates. The basic rates are 10k & 6k. I know everyone upgrades to stiffer, but that's also on the awd models.

What you wanting to do with the car with these coilovers? Road racing or just a nice daily driver thats stiffer? Do you care about ride comfort or more interested is making the car ride stiffer

Any other handling mods like sway bars?

Also how low do you want to go aswel.

I still drive the car on the street often ,but I'm looking to get in to NASA HPDE events, so comfort isn't a high priority. Current suspension mods are Tein Basic coilovers, Energy Suspension bushing kit, ST rear sway bar, RRE Front and rear strut bars, and paul volk's adjustable rear toe arms. I'm not too concerned with being "low", but more concerned with being functional to clear the 255s I'm currently running.

255's are not an issue if you dont go silly low, but offset also make a difference so just adjust it to suit.

With them mods i would certainly up the rear rates. My first setup was a 12/8 and it was well balanced (before i messed with it too much) but even then i felt as if the rear needed more spring. It just felt too soft and not as agile as i was hoping it was going to be,

I have not tried many setups yet because im awaiting to trial my next setup but perhaps a 10/8 might be more ideal to stiffen the rear more.

My next setup is going to be a 12/14 so alot stiffer on the rear and shall see how that works out.

Been following several threads on this very question, and we are going to upgrade to Feals for occassional track use.

What we’ve noticed the tendency, as another member put it, is to stiffen up the back rates, causing it to slide around corners, rather than working to make the front end corner better.

We have not decided on exact rates yet, but they won’t be too far from stock.

Please post your decision and impressions when you install the Feals.

Been following several threads on this very question, and we are going to upgrade to Feals for occassional track use.

What we’ve noticed the tendency, as another member put it, is to stiffen up the back rates, causing it to slide around corners, rather than working to make the front end corner better.

We have not decided on exact rates yet, but they won’t be too far from stock.

Please post your decision and impressions when you install the Feals.
Stiffening up the rear a bit wont make it slide much, it will if you went mega high rates but not at the levels you are talking about!

The idea to stiffsn the back up is to speed up the reaction and make the front more responsive on turn in, it also helps accel out of a corner because of less weight transfer to the back, while it would be ideal to map your car out to get it more precise for your setup/car rather then guessing.

If you up the rear rates you dont need as much ARB either so its a compromise,

As above i much prefer a stiffer rear end and i feel more planted and reaction times for steering are super sharp (maybe a tad too much) but my currently setup is pointed to reaction but i could dial it out a fraction and soeed the rear up even more that it already is,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back