The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

!!!!! 2G Custom Ratio steering rack and Pinion! Survey only!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haha, I have a depowered rack, and its livable, and the road feel is amazing, but it does get tiresome to drive. hard cornering makes it seem like I'm wrestling the wheel more than just driving, and a severe road irregularity or pothole can almost yank the wheel out of my hands. Parking lots honestly aren't too bad, it's mostly mental with me cuz I hate hearing drivetrain bind (I also have a welded center).
Being yanked from potholes and road curce sounds more like a bumpsteer/alignment setuo to me, as no matter what system you get, potholes do the same reguardless of powered or non powered, i usex to drive 2 non powered cars and they all act the same way when i hot a pothole,

Cara are also not ment to really steer on the spot as it overloads seals anyway so moving is ideal even slowly,

A car setup with camber will more easily turn anyway then one thats not so anyone track related will be much better off then a road car with all the tread on the surface so its pros and cons with it. As with anything really

Bobby maybe you mentioned this earlier in the thread but what makes the Quaife gearset incompatible with power steering?

I mean the housing still has the porting for power steering so is the rack portion just missing the piston? Or does the pinion not have provisions for the rotary valve?

Or is it both?

Bobby maybe you mentioned this earlier in the thread but what makes the Quaife gearset incompatible with power steering?

I mean the housing still has the porting for power steering so is the rack portion just missing the piston? Or does the pinion not have provisions for the rotary valve?

Or is it both?
The rack is not made for any seals or parts compatable to even seal, thats fluid based power steering btw,

It is just a plain rack and everyting else removed,

A rack set with provisions for PS from another company wanted near £1000 which was a hell no go

The rack is not made for any seals or parts compatable to even seal, thats fluid based power steering btw,

It is just a plain rack and everyting else removed,

A rack set with provisions for PS from another company wanted near £1000 which was a hell no go

Ok gotcha. I assume the rack will still allow for seals a the outer ends of the housing to prevent dust and such from getting inside? And the gearset will now be lubricated by grease?

Seems odd to me that its so much more expensive to add the piston to the rack gear. I guess it must have to do with the larger material they have to start with and extra machining time.

Being yanked from potholes and road curce sounds more like a bumpsteer/alignment setuo to me, as no matter what system you get, potholes do the same reguardless of powered or non powered, i usex to drive 2 non powered cars and they all act the same way when i hot a pothole,

Cara are also not ment to really steer on the spot as it overloads seals anyway so moving is ideal even slowly,

A car setup with camber will more easily turn anyway then one thats not so anyone track related will be much better off then a road car with all the tread on the surface so its pros and cons with it. As with anything really

I do agree that it seems like an alignment issue, but I've now got the alignment as nuts on as I can w/o coilovers and it still has a good amount of deviation when I hit a low spot on the road (our roads are terrible, and the sluffs can have a 1+ ft change in 100 feet).

I feel that the stock power steering offers a small amount of "damping effect due to the lower effort needed to counteract surface irregularities. Either way, it's not as bad as my yota with 35s and no power steering!

Ok gotcha. I assume the rack will still allow for seals a the outer ends of the housing to prevent dust and such from getting inside? And the gearset will now be lubricated by grease?

Seems odd to me that its so much more expensive to add the piston to the rack gear. I guess it must have to do with the larger material they have to start with and extra machining time.
It comes with all new seals needed for the new rack, and perhaps uses the original outer seals, either way its still protected and then the rack bellows are covers aswel,

Im not sure why the price was so high on a power unit, i honestly never asked because when they told me a price i kinda just ran hahahaha

I do agree that it seems like an alignment issue, but I've now got the alignment as nuts on as I can w/o coilovers and it still has a good amount of deviation when I hit a low spot on the road (our roads are terrible, and the sluffs can have a 1+ ft change in 100 feet).

I feel that the stock power steering offers a small amount of "damping effect due to the lower effort needed to counteract surface irregularities. Either way, it's not as bad as my yota with 35s and no power steering!
Perhaps it is more a bumpsteer issue then, heck it could even be caster that does that. It all contributes to the effect it has on the steering

Brian Eaton!
I'd like to add that potholes and bumps are much better with my manual rack. The car doesn't pull in a different direction like when you normally hit a bumpy patch, just goes straight over.
Lol, his name is Brandon, unless he has a brother, i dont know that. But ive been talking to Brandon for years, hopefully its not a 2nd name haha

Lol, his name is Brandon, unless he has a brother, i dont know that. But ive been talking to Brandon for years, hopefully its not a 2nd name haha
WOW. I totally forgot. It's been a couple years and many bong hits later. I even wrote a review of the rack LOL. Ah well, my mind's been slipping a lot lately.

So i think i got this straight, Quaife ships you the parts,you then shipped them to Brandon, then we ship our racks to Brandon to be serviced?

So i think i got this straight, Quaife ships you the parts,you then shipped them to Brandon, then we ship our racks to Brandon to be serviced?
That is correct yes, he will be doing all the rebuilds for this lot, unless people want to do it them selfs

I'm in. Don't mind manual rack as long as its a true manual conversion. Those are easy to drive. If not, power version for me. Depowered rack is too hard in transitions for autocross. I drove a miata with a depowered rack at an event and it was terrible. Even on its skinny tires. I could only imagine how much worse it would be in my car with 285 hoosiers.

EDIT: Bobby for President
+1 just my 2 cents LOL

If this happens before winter, I may look for a spare rack to have sent to Brandon with the conversion kit so I don't have to wait the downtime. Any clue on when this may be happening?

If this happens before winter, I may look for a spare rack to have sent to Brandon with the conversion kit so I don't have to wait the downtime. Any clue on when this may be happening?
I have no idea but i doubt that soon, i have not had a huge response after the info was passed out so i may have to pm seperatly to remind folks its still being looked into and such,

Only then i will know whats happening and if its something i can move forward on for the community.

I would like it to happen sure as its another great item for our older cars and a much nice ratio too, but if not i will just buy a custom rack but they tend to be alot more expensive! Eeek.

Can we start a master list? I am in for this buy but if it doesn't have enough interest, I will reach out to Eaton Motor Works to send my rack in to be de-powered.

Can we start a master list? I am in for this buy but if it doesn't have enough interest, I will reach out to Eaton Motor Works to send my rack in to be de-powered.
Let me message or tag the main lot and see what happens

Unfortunately I refuse to give up power steering, I'll be going EPS soon anyway with a retrofitted kit out of a MR2. Quick ratio would be nice but alas maybe one day.
You can still have power steering but just in an electronic form and not hybrid form of Electronic and hydraulic pump.

This is fantastic news! I was planning to go with a manual rack and if I didn't like the extra effort I'd switch to EPS anyway, so the fact that you're already planning that route makes me very happy! Did I miss a rough timeframe for this first batch? My rack is leaking like crazy and I'd love to get all of this crap out, but I just spent all of my money through September on other parts. If the buy is after September 23rd I am 100% in for a manual rack.

This is fantastic news! I was planning to go with a manual rack and if I didn't like the extra effort I'd switch to EPS anyway, so the fact that you're already planning that route makes me very happy! Did I miss a rough timeframe for this first batch? My rack is leaking like crazy and I'd love to get all of this crap out, but I just spent all of my money through September on other parts. If the buy is after September 23rd I am 100% in for a manual rack.
It wont be happening before september thats for sure,

Those wanting power steering still please read! I have a few options for you,

1, is a company that makes EPW (electronic power steering) can design different kits from street to race programmable kits but are not very cheap about $800 to $2k
2, you can make your own kit from your desired parts of choice and there are many items now out there $-$$$
3, I have located a guy in the US that will make a bolt on kit for a 2G and is willing to make kits up in batches for those wanting them at a decent price with instructions, this is going to be the cheaper option and also bolt on with minimal wiring this would cost around $250, maybe a tad less the more he gets orders for!

so they are the options for guys wanting PS but will have to switch to EPS,

Something I missed earlier. so your telling me here that there is a guy who will make us a EPS kit for 250 USD? That is huge news!. That is way cheaper than anything else on the market right now. Do you have any more information on this?

Something I missed earlier. so your telling me here that there is a guy who will make us a EPS kit for 250 USD? That is huge news!. That is way cheaper than anything else on the market right now. Do you have any more information on this?
I do, and it is, its a retrofit unit from a nissan and is not yet programmeable but he is working on it, its due to the unit basically running via the main ecu which dont help so once he figures out a way to break the codeing it should be then programmeable

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back