The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Road Race Build 2G Auto Time Attack race build!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 45.1 is very hard rubber too. A zip tie will not compress it.
that is very true, this new stuff I want to order I have to glue it on with a specific glue they sell or recommend as like you say, cable ties wont hold it well enough, mine is light foam padding but still the thickest version going of this stuff, its also fairly cheaper then this new stuff I have to order but i need the extra head room haha

So i forgot to post these pics up a while back! I started to make parts for a stock oil pan to be more baffled and bigger capacity. The idea being its better controling and keeps it in the pickup area more when cornering.

This is my first attempted and may very well change, but at the same time i am researching on the best way to make one from aluminum and im looking at making a machined flange to either fit the hump of the oil pump or i will make it over size and bend it in a jig, but not got that far yet.

For now i will stick with the stock pan and see how this fairs,

IMG_20170909_140618.jpg
IMG_20170909_140626.jpg
IMG_20170909_140540.jpg

I like it. Looks pretty good so far. I'd be interested for sure since I'm planning to start AutoX next year.
This is more like a 1 off project. If i end up figuring out the alloy route i may change my mind but for now i had no intentions of doing any others but mine

Omg been trying for years to get someone to build a 7 bolt pan. Baffled and bigger oil capacity. I will 100% buy one since I also will be autox my car
Yeah its going to be a 1 off, im gonna work on an alloy version as i would prefer it for temp removal and hopefully weight but somethings weight cannot be removed, sometimes added for its purpose. Shall see how that pans out and develops

So it turns out the new brackets and cage padding helped but not resolved it fully, my helmet still hits the padding! I have only 1 choice ans thats lower the drivers side seat mounting i welded in! Sucks but i didnt know this issue till i welded it in and did not check either as i forgot my helmet at the time, its nearly there so the extra 10mm ish lower from them rails should give me just enough room, (hopefully) if not then i will have a slightly tilted head as i dont want to re adjust the cage! They do a smaller padding for legs which is 8mm thick i believe and not 16mm so i may have to go with that, as long as it stops metal contact im ok with that, every MM counts LOL

IMG_20171029_120620.jpg
IMG_20171029_120844.jpg
IMG_20171029_124415.jpg
IMG_20171029_124600.jpg

Last edited:
So not a huge update really i have been working hard but not anything i want to report just yet.

I did however find a Galant engine 2.0 4G63 for a cheapish price so i wanted to see if it would work as during the era of the galant they flipped the engine around like the evos and i dont know if they did that for any reason or because of the date made vs evo blocks came out etc etc,

But!! I managed to get it stripped and it is wrong! Its very much Evo based 4G63 with the dual thrust washers so im just going to get it ultrasonic cleaned and turn it into a house table!

As for finding a block! Im going to see if i can find the older galant when they have it in the same placement as ours, hopefully its right and i dont have another block sitting around

IMG_20171201_171359.jpg
IMG_20171201_171409.jpg

Last edited:
Slowly but surely getting stuff moving nicely, oil pan is moving along nicely, just a few more modifications and finishing up and then i can weld it up and also modify an evo oil pickup tube to match, then im going to see if i can have a flange made to suit the 7bolt pumps then i can have a basic flat flang made for an alloy pan but thats not for a while yet, slow progress for that part. No pics yet of the pan but will get some once its done.

Another thing done but i hate is some wiring! I will say it many times but i do it (I HATE WIRING!!!) LOL
I went and wired in my roadsurge V3 shift box and it works with the buttons, now i have to get my paddle shifters wired up (receiver box needs wiring up) and finish the job completely but the bulk of it is done and at least it works, its amazing how fast it shifts but the diwn shifts are savage! I think when racing it might be better on downshifts. Once complete i will post up a video with the paddle shifters working!

IMG_20180107_153852.jpg

Today i was at the Autosport show which is to mainly do with racing and new products, very interesting to see new things coming out and whats to come. Also to see new teams and meet new people.

Today was mostly to see new things and grab ideas from the engineering and design side of things, it really helped and i got to talk to a few companys i eanted to meet for product ideas for the future in the way of progressing forward with parts etc,

I also got to see this brand new Evo 9 with a full voltex aero kit thats entering the UK Time Attack this year along with the driver and another driver that was using another 9 last season! I also got to sit inside this beast aswel! Very nice and well done and no expense spared!!!

I saw afew DTM cars and i like the design on their aero alot so a few snap of them will guide me on how to progress forward with my aero and now i have to make it more complicated! Yay fun (not)

I did not take many pics as i planned as its alot of walking and talking, plus my phone sucks for taking good pics anyway,

IMG_20180112_142433.jpg
IMG_20180112_142304.jpg
IMG_20180112_142330.jpg
IMG_20180112_122447.jpg
IMG_20180112_103326.jpg
IMG_20180112_090349.jpg
IMG_20180112_090359.jpg
IMG_20180112_090454.jpg

My rear subframe brackets are now complete and onto the next stage of making the jig to support the oem frame then make mine up,

Oil pan is coming along nicely, i redid the internal part higher to allow for a bigger capacity! It should from guestimatiin now add close to 1.5 Quarts more, (will confirm this once its tacked together properly,

IMG_20180129_103450.jpg
IMG_20180129_103428.jpg
IMG_20180129_103356.jpg

Oh and my engine that was wrong i made into a table
IMG_20180127_163201.jpg

Also made a dog which was never planned LOL called it Cranky!!! Haha
IMG_20180117_172317.jpg

For those that dont see my updates about chassis development / suspension parts, i have been making a FWD rear subframe, its mocked up and im just waiting on some revised laser cut brackets to continue the progress and finish it up for welding!
IMG_20180203_164415.jpg

While this is on hold till next week i been staying late at work to move onto my Baffled oil pan again, its now 90% complete and modified fully from pickup to pan and test fitting tonight! If all fits well on the block and OFH then its time to weld it fully. I decided to revise this and move the top plate higher to allow more capacity aswel as outwards at the front.

My oem dipstick will now be obsolete and in favor of an AN fitting with an alloy cap, the cap will be machined to receive a threaded stud to use for oil level checking.

So progress is good and staying late when i can has really made things go forward nicely.

IMG_20180209_130937.jpg
IMG_20180209_130943.jpg
IMG_20180209_130841.jpg
IMG_20180209_130834.jpg
IMG_20180209_130828.jpg

Last edited:
Subframe is all done now, just need to make my ARB and brackets,

I also finished the Baffled oil pan. Its all welded up and it gains near as damn it 1QT more, i made a video of it and how it holds the water at a steeper angle and there for keeps the oil in and around the pickup tube.

Video of the pan

IMG_20180217_165147.jpg
IMG_20180217_164721.jpg
IMG_20180217_164704.jpg
IMG_20180217_165156.jpg

Last edited:
got a video today of the paddle shifters working. the video is not great and the sound is low but the car is noisy, i am using an SJcam sou it could be better but this is what i got currently to work with.

So i might aswel make it legit here! Since i just bought them!

Towards the end of 2017 i had been saving hard through the summer for some new stuff, and i was looking into some new wheels because eventually i knew my 17" wont fit my wayyyy future brake upgrades and plans, so i needed a nice 18" but was decent on weight! (Because racecar) LOL

I had my eye set on some wedsports SA55M in 18x9.5 but fell through as the seller forgot to unlist them as sold! But was angry as they was a great price and decent weight too! Just over 20lbs they was ok weight so not the lighest,

Then i was looking at the TC105N as they are super light! And these still might be wheels for the future i dont know but they are a very nice weight for a 18x10.5 wheel!

So after missing out on stuff and looking and finding nothing i looked at a set of wheels I saw before but was never 100% sure on because it was such a flat faced wheel but!!!! I found out it had a twin!!! which is a tad concave! So checking clearances i found i will need some spacers (small ones) or modify my knuckles more then I already have!

So folks coming from the USA are my new set of wheels!!!! Welcome to the Konig Hypergram 18x10.5 ET25!!! They advertise them at 19.9lbs but found out they weight 19lbs without center cap! So its a decent weight wheel for the price! Tire choice i think im going to run a 295/30/18 and maybe a 285 on the front because i like more rear grip and my setup is like that now and it works well for me. But things change and acts differently so might alter that plan.

26871623_562369520783303_313669789568466944_n.jpg
d8229a66697c0742133829977d2114e4.jpg
18947797_313112992451939_5099351508751745024_n.jpg
download.jpeg

Now i have done this my now 17" will be stored away as they hard to find now which means i will eventually need some new 18" road wheels so if these work out well and im haooy with them, i might end up ordering a 2nd set later in the year so both race and road wheels match the fenders im going to build to cover the tire thats going to be poking out LOL

Last edited:
Those look great! I have had a serious soft spot of konig’s wheel line up the last few years. Can’t wait to see them on your car.

Last edited:
I looked at the Konig too. I currently have RPF1s in 17 and they clear the Evo Brembos in front. I have seen a few people with the 18in diameter wheel, my question is why 18 over 17? I know I had to get the 8in wide over the 9in wide for the front because of the spoke style but diameter wise it is fine

Those look great! I have had a serious soft spot of konig’s wheel line up the last few years. Can’t wait to see them on your car.
They are getting alot nicer and better for motorsport use so thats great news!

Will be a while till i get them on as now i have to make aero / modify the fender at the front to covee up the tire thats going to stick out LOL, but hopefully by summer i can have that done,

I looked at the Konig too. I currently have RPF1s in 17 and they clear the Evo Brembos in front. I have seen a few people with the 18in diameter wheel, my question is why 18 over 17? I know I had to get the 8in wide over the 9in wide for the front because of the spoke style but diameter wise it is fine
My bridgestones clear my brembos as 17x8.5 but as i said in the post my future brake upgrade wont allow a 17" to be used as the rotor and caliper is bigger so i need a min 18" wheel to clear the huge rotors, i want the AP racing radical 500r calipers and 356mm discs. So i figured why not get it sorted now while its all in progress and done as next year i want to out for the whole season!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back