The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 97 GSX P0335 cranks but does not start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Arroyo

Probationary Member
Mar 30, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Hey Guys, I've had this problem for a while now. Seems I cant catch a break but I welcomed myself to the DSM world. LOL

I have a problem with my 97 GSX, it started one morning after I fixed my misfire issue. Car started fine the next day drove it to a nearby store. Turned off, about 10 mins later turn back on no hesitation what so ever. Couple miles down the road it just shut off. Pulled over & try to start, all it did was crank and no start. Figured I was out of gas, filled it with a 1/4 maybe it was just drained but that did not fix my problem.

Was able to push it to my garage. Checked spark and fuel pump, have spark & fuel pump turns on. Checked my OBD2 scanner and I had a code for Crankshaft Position Sensor. I changed the sensor to see if that will be the problem, seems that it wasn't. I checked for damage around the new sensor (since I read in different forums that they break easily while installing) & wires but looks 100% good.
What am I missing here?

If you guys can help out a new member I would greatly appreciate it .

Solution
Hey guys thanks for the feed back!

After noticing my crank sensor was broken I replaced it with another. After cranking it for awhile I rechecked the wires & sensor once again. I noticed it was broken again.

Turns out the sensing blade was bend from one side causing it to rub & break the sensor as shown in the pictures. I tried to bend it straight again but I’ll rather replace it. Sucks that I'm going to have to remove the timing belt in order to install the sensing blade.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey Guys, I've had this problem for a while now. Seems I cant catch a break but I welcomed myself to the DSM world. LOL

I have a problem with my 97 GSX, it started one morning after I fixed my misfire issue. Car started fine the next day drove it to a nearby store. Turned off...about 10 mins later turn back on no hesitation what so ever. Couple miles down the road it just shut off. Pulled over & try to start...all it did was crank and no start. Figured I was out of gas... filled it with a 1/4 maybe it was just drained..did not fix my problem. Was able to push it to my garage..checked spark and fuel pump..have spark & fuel pump turns on..Checked my OBD2 scanner and I had a code for Crankshaft Position Sensor.. changed the sensor to see if that will be the problem......seems that it wasn't. I checked for damages around the new sensor (since I read in different forums that they break easily while installing) & wires but looks 100% good. What am I missing here?

If you guys can help out a new member I would greatly appreciate it .

So you were able to remove your lower timing cover to gain access to the crank trigger plate to find the crank sensor?

My next advice would be to follow a write up and convert to a 1g cam sensor which converts cam readings to the crank sensor to see if that helps

Check for wiring issues from the ecm to the crank sensor. could be an open or short. You have to find the pins on the ecu for that sensor. Using a DMM, check for continuity from the pin to the sensor plug on both wires. Then make sure voltage is present at the sensor with the ignition in the on position. If it's not present, you have a short somewhere.if there is no continuity, you have an open in the circuit. Was the sensor you bought OEM? If it was a cheap eBay sensor or something I'd check out any diagnostic tests that apply to that sensor and see if it meets specification. This is just off top, if I think of anything else, I'll check back. Also you should make sure you plugged in the sensor all the way, maybe the plug wiggled off while driving to the store.

My question would be did you check the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor? They are two different sensor at totally different locations. Both would cause the car to crank and not start. As chryslerkid stated, the crank sensor is all the way at the bottom of the motor buried under the lower timing cover which is a bit of job to get to. Just wanna make sure we're talking about the correct thing here.

I had a cam position crack internally on me one time. It looked fine on the outside, but it was busted inside. Took me a little bit to figure out way the car wouldn't start. Wouldn't hurt to take a look at that sensor while your at it. It's easy - it's right on top.

Hey guys thanks for the feed back!

After noticing my crank sensor was broken I replaced it with another. After cranking it for awhile I rechecked the wires & sensor once again. I noticed it was broken again.

Turns out the sensing blade was bend from one side causing it to rub & break the sensor as shown in the pictures. I tried to bend it straight again but I’ll rather replace it. Sucks that I'm going to have to remove the timing belt in order to install the sensing blade.

Solution
I believe I have a trigger plate floating around if you need it

if you do text me bro 773-266-7034

I hear you on that. I rebuilt a 4G63 on time early on and forgot to put the blade on and didn't figure it out until after the motor was back in the car.:banghead:

Hope after I replace it she’s running like a beauty. I will definitely let you guys know

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back