The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

20g td06 HP record?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I hear that! I'm loving my "lightened" street car vs my trailered track car. It's mucho fun to tune and experiment on the street again. Even if it means staying .300 slower due to street equip weight.

wow, that's funny. Right after I wrote that, I went to my favorite HP calculator and punched a few numbers and came to the same conclusion. If I drop 300 pounds my time would drop by approx 3 tenths.

Update!
I just wanted to add that I went to the track last Sunday and got 3 runs on the 20g tune. It was hot, around 90*. I had to turn the boost down a little to keep the car happy, it didn't like high boost in the heat. Boost was 27psi falling to 24 psi by redline. My best time was 10.48@ 133.1 mph with a 1.62 60' time. I didn't launch it hard, I was just out there to have some fun. Plus my car weighs more now, I have a full exhaust, passenger seat, more interior and conveniences to keep the car quieter and more useful for street driving. It adds another 85 pounds from when my car was in 'kill' mode.

Very nice! So.. same as the 16g then?:p

Yeah I know, WTF? I looked at the timeslip and said, Damm I ran the exact same time on the 16G! haha
But the 16G run was with a lighter car, better 60' time, and it only went 130mph. With the 20G the car is heavier, driven mildly, and still trapped 3 mph faster. The 20G is making some nice power for sure!

My car is currently at the shop getting some work done before the dyno tune, will have some results next week, I will be running it at about 20psi. stock block and head, 20g hoping for 300whp, my biggest restriction will be the stock Mirage t/b, it is tiny.

I will be tuning again in a month or so with 65mm n/t t/b, delta hks 272/272s and hks cam gears

Last edited:
1992 EVO 1 in Tampa - evolutionm.net

some interesting 20g results brewing here in tampa. I have owned the car twice so I know the car well enough.I built the block/IC/turbo setup. just recently sold it to a local friend. he has big plans for the setup. 6567 type. but I encouraged him to play with the setup up first. I put the setup together but the old owner didnt have the means to give it justice.

current setup is as follows.

9.0 JE pistons
eagle/scat rods
o-ringed block
nitrided evo 8 crank
GSC S2 cams
evo 8 hardware in head

ACT 2600 street clutch
3 inch exhaust
custom short route 2.5 IC pipes. evo 8 IC
Koyo radiator
street/strip 20G turbo with FP cast exhaust mani, and evo 3 02
880cc injectors (may be larger now?)
AEM V2 speed density
AEM wideband
75 shot

unusual 18 inch wheels. sold to me as magnesium. they weigh 17lbs so i dont know. they had same manufacture sticker that Volks come with. whatever they are they are cool.

GAB adjustable struts swapped out for lite weight BC coil overs

the AEM was given a quick tune at waste gate boost. on 93 octane the car made 367 whp dynojet. car did visit the 1/8 and went 7.50 ay 93mph 1.73 60ft (by memory)

just got phone call from him. on sunoco 117 30psi and holding 28psi it lay down 487. on 75 shot it lay down 586. but tuner said turbo was going to blow up soon so he detuned it to 507whp on the bottle. I am hoping to see the dyno charts this week. I will see about getting them posted. he also has plans to hit the 1/4 on thursday.

Well I just made 286 whp on my 20g LOL, how do I get it added to the list? Do I just submit a pic of the Dyno graph in my profile and it just posts up automatically?

well I couldnt get all three graphs. and car never made it to track. first there was rain for a week. then driver hurt leg playing soccer and coulnt drive car. then 100 cars show up at track but gates are closed. now car is on to bigger hp. no more playing with the 20g. oh well.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wazzup DSM peeps!? Shout out to 94awdcoupe :cool:

My name is Nick, aka 03RedSRT4 on srtforums.com. I am the SRT4 owner who recently dynoed 461/516 whp/wtq on my corn fed 20G Td05HR.

A friend of mine from Chula Vista sent me a link to this thread, so I decided to say hello. I know our cars are quite different, and I am not to savvy on the tuning lingo you guys use, but I thought maybe I could learn something, as well as be of assistance to any one inquiring about my mods. Honestly, I am more stock than not. My engine bay is very OEM, and I have had BS called on me many times to my face.

My Td05HR was machined to allow the comp housing to accommodate the 20G wheel, as well as the CHRA, to allow proper geometry. My head is 100% stock, as well as my block, bottom end, to include complete balance shaft and chain assembly.

My input shaft is Pwerks billet, because I have broken 2 OEM ones.

Any questions LMK :thumb:

1/4 mile time slips will be posted on the 21st of October, 2012.

My photobucket has about a thousand photos, so if you wanna see something just ask.

There are some gauge shots here, so you may have a reference to acceleration on the loaded Dynocom Dyno.

Nick's JEP Dyno 7/28/12 - YouTube

Hey guys, new to this site.

Just put down 448/489 HP and TQ with a TD05h 20G this afternoon at MAP in the Twin Cities.

1g TSi AWD - Self built 2.4, E70 with 26 PSI falling to 20 by 6500.

Good little turbos... hits like a ton of bricks picking up around 300 WTQ in 600 RPM!

The one in that link is not based on a 20G wheel even if it measures the same ind/exd. With 11 equal height blades instead of 6 pairs (like regular 20G), I would expect faster spool with less flow.

MHI 20G wheel:

"pureturbos" ebay wheel:

Less air flow out of a billet extended tip? If that's the case why has every company this year switched to the 11 blade design? :hmm:

I would expect 3-5 more lbs/min with that billet wheel. If you want maximum power, that compressor wheel with a td06h/4 is the way to go.

If that wheel flows better at high pr's, it would help a lot. One of the problems with a regular 20g is that 30 psi isn't even on the map. If you could keep efficiency into the 30+ psi range with this wheel, it could make a real difference.

The one in that link is not based on a 20G wheel even if it measures the same ind/exd. With 11 equal height blades instead of 6 pairs (like regular 20G), I would expect faster spool with less flow.

Its really a toss up right now. The garrett GTX design utilizes 11 blades instead of pairs and apparently flows more than the previous designs.

I wish I had hard evidence to see what design is better. Its been discussed a couple of times with little data or a conclusion.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/444871-compressor-wheel-design.html

Last edited:
Less air flow out of a billet extended tip?
I meant less than a similar MFS 6/6 wheel, and it was only a meager guess, not me stating it as fact. I'm no aerodynamics expert.

I only used a picture of a cast MHI wheel in order to show the original 20G wheel design, and how the MFS 11 blade was a completely different design.

• The new Garrett gtx wheels have 11 equal height blades, and perform better at high boost than the older 6/6 gt wheels.
  • They flow more because of the surface area is greater than the 6/6. They spool faster because they are lighter.

Look at the batmowheel, its not a 11 blade design.. It's a old school 6/6 it uses more surface area to increase the output.
  • Its really a toss up right now. The garrett GTX design utilizes 11 blades instead of pairs and apparently flows more than the previous designs.

I wish I had hard evidence to see what design is better. Its been discussed a couple of times with little data or a conclusion.
All good info. All I know is what I've read about how blade count seemingly affects the Holset compressors. I would have to assume that it holds true across the board though if the wheels being compared have the same ind/exd diameter, the same method of machining or casting and the same extended or non-extended tip design. If the only difference is blade count and/or arrangement, then what's the deciding factor in how it performs? The amount of surface area versus mass?

Keep in mind that the greater the spacing between the blades, the more airflow will be generated at higher boost levels when shaft speeds are greater....consequently, the opposite at lower boost levels.

The tighter the blade spacing the more the air is compressed while the greater the blade spacing the more boost is required to compress the air...BUT the more air mass the compressor can flow.

Also bear in mind that the standard 20G is not a 6-blade wheel, it's a 12-blade wheel....6 major, 6 minor. Now with an 11-blade design you obviously can't have an unequal amount of major versus minor blades....so perhaps thats how the manufacturer is claiming a larger air mass gain, in the blade spacing itself.

Not all of your top 20G users are getting their cars dynoed, apparently...although 461 is a pretty healthy number for that turbo given it's airflow potential. Keep in mind the 16G numbers were from Curt Brown's car. ;)

I'd love to see a link log of a 20g with a SMIM. I'm curious if it's worth the investment. A before and after log would tickle my fancy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back