The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

GVR-4 2.1 stroker build combo opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumpyVR4

Supporting Member
May 21, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hello all, I'm starting to buy parts for my 2.1 stroker build and thought I'd put the proposed specs up to see if I've picked anything really out of wack for the rest of the combo (I always second guess myself). The car is a VR4 and it's my daily drive, so a good mid range is the most important performance goal.

EVO 8 MAF, large front mount, 2.5" piping, 70mm throttle, stock intake manifold, 1650 FIC injectors.
Stock head (I'll probably debur and polish the ports while the head is off), GSC S1 cams, upgraded springs, Tomei cam gears, ARP head studs, Cometic MLS gasket.
Eagle 94mm crank, ARP main studs, Kiggly girlde, BC sportsman 150mm rods, Manley platinum extreme pistons 8.5:1.
Ported and coated EVO III exhaust manifold, new FP Green, 3" o2 housing into mandrel 3" exhaust.
Intend on running 30psi on E85 and 25psi on 94 pump tuned with ECM link.

Last edited:
Looks good!
There are other off the shelf pistons designed for 150/94 rotating assembly. If you really want to wake up the midrange then swap out the 1g head for a 2gb head and put your 1g CAS on it, then run an Evo III intake manifold.

Sounds like a nice build. I'd dump the mass airflow sensor for a speed density setup since you have ecmlink, the preloaded ve table is pretty good as it is. I wouldnt think the 70mm throttle body is necessary but if you already have it or can get it for a good deal go for it.

Bit of an update. Got the bottom end parts sitting under my bed. Bullet Race Engineering are going to port my 2g head and fit +1 supertech valves and beehives. I scored an evo III manifold for $50 that I'm having extrude honed.

I also just grabbed one of the last evo III input shafts. My box is original so I figure doing a rebuild and getting rid of its glass gear before putting a decent amount of power through it is probably a good idea.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back