The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G NT Throttle Body Shaft Seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsunari

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2003
Jessup, Maryland
So I'm looking to put a 1G NT Throttle Body on my 2g and wanted to replace the throttle body shaft seals. It looks as though the regular turbo shaft seals don't quite fit (too big?), so aside from machining the TB . . . anyone know where to pick up some seals for this thing?

Has nobody ever replaced the TB shaft seals on the 1g NT TB?

I have. I brough the throttle body into the hydraulic shop and fit the right ones in. I wish I could tell you the size but I can't. Just go and test fit one after another.

kinda hard to do since it's on the car :p

I actually ended up taking the turbo shaft seal and turned it around, then gently tapped it in.
Not sure if this will actually seal or not, guess I'll be finding out the hard way.

I tried to 'reverse' the seals that were in the throttle body already. The issue was that the seal was hard from it's age and didn't seal correctly.

Well I got her started last night . . . and flipping the turbo seals around and putting them in backwards does not work. There's a huge boost leak at the TB now, so time to figure something else out.

For future reference, you can have the body of the NT TB where the seal goes bored .040" deeper and the turbo TB shaft seals should fit. For some reason, that recess on the NT TB is only .100" deep as compared to .140" deep on the turbo TB.

Or perhaps dig around for a seal similar to the turbo shaft seal but something not as tall :thumb:

****EDIT****
1G Turbo 10mm x 14mm x 3mm

1G NT 10mm x 14mm x 2mm --- If you can't find a seal like this, bore the recess 1mm deeper (a total of 3.5 - 3.6mm) and use the Turbo seals

What would be the best tool to use to bore the shaft recess deeper? Would a properly size drill bit suffice or is a fancier tool preferred? I think a drill bit might disturb the sleeve in the recess that the shaft slides into.

What would be the best tool to use to bore the shaft recess deeper? Would a properly size drill bit suffice or is a fancier tool preferred? I think a drill bit might disturb the sleeve in the recess that the shaft slides into.

I'd take it to a local machine shop and have them do it. They will most likely put it on a lathe to get that kind of precision. I definitely would not attempt it with a hand drill . . . just not enough precision or accuracy. Would be way too easy to go in slightly crooked and end up boring out the diameter of the hole, then the throttle body is junked.

A drill bit wont work well cause it will taper the hole from the TIP of the drill. You need a machine shop to do it with the right bit.

I use a 1g nt Throttle body on my 6 bolt. I just went to a hardware store and got
14mm X 10mm X 2mm O-rings like tsunari said and they work perfect! NO leaks. NO sticking throttle. Cost me 78 Cents!!!

I'll let you know how they work out in the long run.

I got the replacement seals for the turbo dsm throttle bodies and took my dremel with a fine sanding drum and carefully removed a little bit of the rubber from the outside of the seal. Took me a few tries to get it right as I only removed a little at a time, didn't want to take off too much material and ruin the new seals. This method worked perfect for me.

A drill bit wont work well cause it will taper the hole from the TIP of the drill. You need a machine shop to do it with the right bit.

I use a 1g nt Throttle body on my 6 bolt. I just went to a hardware store and got
14mm X 10mm X 2mm O-rings like tsunari said and they work perfect! NO leaks. NO sticking throttle. Cost me 78 Cents!!!

I'll let you know how they work out in the long run.

Just a slight FIY.. The seals are tapered to begin with.... So you probably could do it with a drill PRESS. Not a hand drill though.

I just doubled up #7 o-rings on both ends with the water proof grease. It allows tight compression on the o-rings and a leak free seal.

Sorry to bring this one back, but I'm having some issues with these seals and the proposed 10x14x2 0-rings. They appear to fit well, but I'm still getting excessive leakage through them. My question is how exactly should "well fitting" seals fit in? Below are pictures of mine.

Liquidx, are the #7 you're referring to 3/8ID x 1/2OD x 1/16 thickness? (This is the only match I found with google.)

Attachments

• IMG_5702.jpg
    IMG_5702.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_5696.jpg
    IMG_5696.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_5698.jpg
    IMG_5698.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 329
I have an NT throttle body with turbo seals. I had it done by this guy: Rebuilt Throttle Body Core Service 90$ - DSM Classifieds

I haven't done much with it since and it is off again, but I did have it mounted, running, and BLT-ed. It held boost up to 15-20 psi. I don't know what he did with it. I just asked him to add shaft seals to it.

Get actual shaft seals, and not o-rings.
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

The turbo seals fit in the N/T throttle body without a problem, no work required. They do stick up out of the seal recess by ~1mm, but this won't cause any issues. Make sure they are inserted in the proper way (open channel inward) and pushed in straight with some dielectric grease.

Thanks. I've already got the two #7's in. I'm going to put it back on today or tomorrow and test it out. I'll let you guys know if it seals. If not, I'll be forced to get the real ones, which is no biggie. I just hate throwing money down the dumpster. I called extreme psi and asked them to put the seals in an envelope with a stamp and they said no. WTF?

Which us why I've never bought from any vendor here. Very good prices and quality but I'm not paying $8 for shipping when it would only be $4 tops for a padded envelope and delivery confirmation using usps.

Arp will ship in a small envelope but they don't promise that it'll arrive

Double #7's held the best so far. They didn't start leaking until 20 lbs. I'm ordering the turbo seals now. (Btw, Mach V only charged $1.90 for shipping!!! Thanks for the link!)

On another note, I'm also getting a little leaking from the coupler. I've tried grinding off the little tabs, allowing the coupler to slide on a little farther, but it didn't help enough. Do you guys have any ideas to get that to seal any better?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back