The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1g N/A question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98mitsubishigst

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So anyways. Im buying a 1g n/t 93 white.. No RUST at all..

I understand it's a N/t But shit, i need a DD.. a daily driven tuned on e85 2g is killing my pocket.. I went and test drove this 1g 5 speed and loved it.. so smooth the clutch was brand new with reciepts but he just took it to the shop to get a HG replacement.. He had reciepts with everything done including water pump..

I took it for a ride; no overheating and it ran perfect.. i gave him a 200 down payment with a signing agreement and everything and went on my way home and was gonna go out tuesday to pick the car up at notary with him and everything..

Anyways a few hours later i get a text that his son took it out to work ig and coolant was coming out of the coolant tank and was overheating... :confused:

So now he called me and was cool about me getting my money back or paying 450$ for the car and fixing whatever is wrong..

Honestly; i'm mechanically inclined enough to fix a headgasket if need be.. but what else could this be..

He said he started it hours later and it ran fine.. and didn't overheat.. So what could be going on here?

headgasket, would probaly eat the coolant and boil all the time. Sounds like a bad cap.

or cooling fan

My 93 n/t did the same thing, at first I thought it was a bad thermostat so I replaced it with a 180 temp thermostat and then it kept doing it so I replaced the cap and the problem hasn't came up again.

Hmm well; i thought when a headgasket goes, the car runs like crap. but apparently this isn't the case.
And i did read the reciepts the guy had head work done to it along with a new headgasket and water pump and belt..

And when he took it out to drive again it ran fine.. He hit me up later and was like "yeah well idk whats going on but ill sell you it for 500$ if you come get it instead of 800$"

So you guys think i should pick it up for 500$ and try a new cap and water temp sensor and not tell the guy that you guys said incase that's the little case that it is? ;)

If it is something like a headgasket the 200 bucks i will be saving from dropping the price to 500 ill be able to do a headgasket swap..

If yes; ill def have pictures of this clean non rusted out n/t dsm for you guys .. =)

(any other oppinions?)

Yah your find seems like alot like mine, I picked up my n/t 93 with no rust at all but mine is the gold package for 800 the only thing was wrong with it was the tps sensor and a cracked manifold but yeah i would definitly pick it up man. And get those pictures up asap :)

I would get it and I have 5 on my :sneaky: but I live too far :cry:.

Sounds like a good deal for a dd work car at that price. Like you said you're mechanically incline.

Man, you guys find good deals on dsm n/t and turbo :p :D

Not sure how long your test drive was, but it's possible that it only starts to act up when it reaches full operating temperature (which it did when the son drove it).

If he got the HG done at a shop and has receipts, why isn't he bringing it there and getting the problem taken care of?

I'm guessing this is a 4G63 n/t?

Id do it for the 500. Honestly with the money saved you can fix whatever is wrong. It could be something as simple as the over flow tank not being filled all the way or even a coolant line that appears to be a vacuum line to the typical person.

I'd check everythin over and make sure it isn't the radiator and if it is those are cheap and easy to replace and 90% of the time some JB weld will fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know why, but I'm looking forward to the pics :) I guess I just wanna see how good of a deal this thing is

UPDATE: He just texted me saying he will sell for 450$, i think i may just take the damn car.. If anything i can part you guys the interior and shell or scrap it.. =/

Well; i personally saw reciepts of the work, and dates and names and credit card stuff.. So this is why i feel like the car was done right at a shop.. but you never know..

I let it sit in the driveway for a good 3-4 minutes then cruised for about 10 minutes.. with getting on it for a little bit, it was at normal operating temp when i drove it.

This 1g is the 1.8L motor.. But i just need it for a DD to work and back and whenever i don't wanna drive my car haha. and i want a 1g as my daily is because; i don't want some piece of hell honda thats junk for 500 bucks when i can get a PERFECT interior and 7/10 exterior.. (clear coat on hood is crap and back bumper was painted but its w.e) The clutch was replaced and drove so butter smooth.. i feel in love with a DD hahah..

If it's ANYTHING besides the HG i don't mind; hell i dont mind even if it's the HG; i can do that in a day hopefully ;) ..

Don't know why, but I'm looking forward to the pics :) I guess I just wanna see how good of a deal this thing is

Its honestly; pretty damn impressive for a 1g n/t .. like especially for a pittsburgh pa car.. We normally have ALOT of rust on every car..

First thing i said when i pulled up.. Pop the hood.. he's like man, you really wanna see this motor. i'm like no.. i wanna see those strut towers ;) hahahaha

:hellyeah:

The rims are steelies spray painted black.. but ill throw some BMW bottle caps on there and be fine with DD.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY INFO OR 2 CENTS THEY WANNA THROW IN??! Any other oppinions on what it could be?

Last edited:
A 1.8 is going to be pretty good on gas. Kreez has a 1.8 as well I believe so he should be able to help ya out with any questions (I think).

The 1.8l starts at 185psi so 160 is not too bad

Service limit is 131psi and should not have more than 14psi difference between cylinders

If the gasket were bad you would most likely have to low numbers in a couple of the cylinders that are next to each other (ex. 1&2, 2&3 or 3&4)

Seems more appropriate for you to check the HG's integrity by doing a leak down test. Here is a great step-by-step Craig typed up for all of us. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/338152-compression-leak-down-testing.html

Why did the owner replace the HG in the first place? Thats the question you should be asking.

Moving this to the appropriate Tech Forum.

:dsm:

Thanks man; i had no idea where to put a 1g 1.8l question at haha..

and i did ask; i left out alot of parts just because i forgot haha. He drove the car and it started overheating and he stopped and let it cool and continued going filling it up every so often. He made it home but the HG blew..

The head was rebuilt along with the necessary components for the HG..

he dropped the price to 450 for me so i think im going to go ahead and get it.

If you buy it you'll want to replace the t-stat, flush the radiator, and make sure the fans are kicking on to keep operating temp. in check. Do a leak down test, that will tell you if that HG is blown and you need to pull the head back off.

If you buy it you'll want to replace the t-stat, flush the radiator, and make sure the fans are kicking on to keep operating temp. in check. Do a leak down test, that will tell you if that HG is blown and you need to pull the head back off.

Sounds good =) ill post pics in morning of her. and let you all know whats going on.

You can't go wrong with $450 for a car that runs, even if it does need engine work. The only reason I would be reluctant is because you're trying to get a DD asap, not a car you have to tinker with. Hopefully the head isn't warped beyond use (like my n/t was). If that's the case no amount of new HG will ever work.
But, if you're not worried about driving your turbo for a little bit longer, I'd jump on it.

Shop techs are people too, and sometimes they may miss something small. I had an Acura that I brought to and from the dealership three times in the same week. Each time they had to pull out my tranny and replace the synchros. Three times they did that until they got it right. Luckily it was part of a recall, so I spent nothing but gas.

Kreez has a 1.8 as well I believe so he should be able to help ya out with any questions.

My n/t is a 2.0 :p

UPDATE!;

So i went and traded the title today along with paying 450$ for the car itself.
Kinda got that weak feeling in the bottom of my stomach for buying another car haha.

It was running fine, it has a exhaust shield rattling a little so i gotta fix that.
But i was like half way home and it started heating up pretty bad, I had to down shift a good bit and open the throttle to cool the motor then shift back into 5th.

so i found a exit and parked in a brusters ice cream parking lot hahah.. I'm leaving it there till tonight and me and my buddy are gonna go ahead and tow it back home since he drives tow trucks

But for now; i think i'm going to go ahead and buy a new T-stat and should i go ahead and buy a new radiator cap? Anything else you guys think i should do? Drain the coolant and re fill it?

The below, might as well add a new radiator cap and WaterWetter to the list.

UPDATE;

Go and remove the water neck; No thermostat!?!?! haha i hope this fixes it ;)
Then i got a steal for 450$

Update;

Still overheating.. but lets say if its at normal op temp; itll stay there at idle.. if i cruise and it overheats i pull over itll stay hot at idle..

If its 3/4ths or a little over middle to hott and i stop at idle; it stays there. it won't go up or down...

WTF is going on?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back