The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 5 speed - Sick of 9's...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's the stock diff.

I went to Rock Falls in Wisconsin for the first test and tune of the season. New mph best for me. I only ran one pass and was happy with the car for the muscle car shootout in May at BIR. The launch was very soft, no boost built on the line, just wanted to log data. The car went nice and straight, super happy!

20170422_115402.jpg

Time for winter projects! I've got a lot of plans for the car this winter. I'm going to freshen up the motor, run a new turbo, fabricate a 25.5 cage, carbon/kevlar doors, fenders, roof, hood, bumper, maybe the dash, and some paint work.

I just took the cage out of the car today. So here's the starting point to the winter journey!

I'm sick of 8's, with all the dsm guys getting into the sevens I might as well try too!

Starting point:

20171111_104339.jpg

I love seeing updates on this car. Definitely an ambtious goal! I just went 9s and I'm sick of them now, but I don't know if I'm 8s ambitious. Haha! Looking forward to updates!

9's felt good, the step to 8's was larger than I expected, but well worth the effort. This thread documented the ups and downs!

Better place your order with carbonetics now if you're going to have them do the work like those other guys.
Yeah, at least they are good about letting you know the delivery timeframe up front, I think i ordered my stuff at the end of July.

Those are some fun projects you have planned... Looking forward to updates!

Since you mentioned a new dash, the carbonetics carbon 2g dash looks great in a 1g... Aaron Gregory @Slow95gsx just added one in his and it looks amazing.

a4bb4251-f8ca-4957-b6e2-cbd1ab3ff272
View attachment 528470

I'll keep my progress updated, glad u want to see them.
Aaron's car is awesome. I saw that too, I'm definatly admiring it!

Might as well try for 8s and 7s.

Yep!

I've been getting a lot accomplished lately. I found more weight to shave off, I weighed everything out and negated the 2g carbonfiber dash & dash bar weigh. 50 lbs came out that will not be added back in! This will help offset the weight im adding due to the 25.5 cage.

20171119_102756.jpg

20171119_102935.jpg

I also started the cage work over the thanksgiving weekend, I'm super happy how it's all turning out! The cage fitment is 100x better than my prebent sw cage!

The rouge fabrication tube notcher is awesome too! Every joint is very tight, makes for easy and beautiful welds.

20171128_064504.jpg

20171128_064250.jpg

20171128_064307.jpg

Next up is to finish the floor north south bars and the front floor bar. It's all coming together!

The cage is coming along great! Now that I have 10 + years of tig welding experience, I wanted to make sure I could be proud of this cage. It has not been easy. The design of the cage, assembly steps, and being able to weld it has been a challenge, due to being so close to the car.

I planned ahead to use a micro torch when i made the fitment so close.

20171130_074616.jpg

20171201_123416.jpg

20171202_142846.jpg

I was able to take the floor bars out to finish weld them.

20171201_132410_1.jpg

So far so good.

At this point the cage is close to being done. I just need to get the front of the funny car cage bent and welded in. I need to buy a new 1.5" bending die for this, so i need to wait a week or two until the die shows up. I also need to figure out a custom window net setup, mount the seat, and fabricate mounts for the steering column. My goal is to have it certified this month!

My chassis fabrication confidence has grown and this has been an awesome project so far!

20171209_110201.jpg

It's a shame I'm going to paint the cage, not all of the welds are this clean, but the majority are good like this.
20171207_172447.jpg

20171209_110201.jpg

Wow! Amazing work!
Awesome work man! This car is going to be a certified monster!
Beautiful work man Its just inspiring to see this car makes me wish my 1g was stored by me. Can't wait to see where it gos from here!
You never disappoint. Can't wait to see it all done.
Thanks Guys!
Its nice not being in a time crunch, the quality doesn't suffer this way! I'm super pumped for next year.

Really coming along nice. Why did you cut the floor out for the front cross tube?
So the fitment of the tube on the floor doesn't hit my foot for the gas peddle!

This was a good weekend of progress. I ordered a custom Stroud window net. They produced it in 24 hrs from my order! It fits awesome. I also reduced the size off rod used to mount the net to shave off some weight.

20171216_084744.jpg

Everything I do I question if I can cut weighty in the process. I also ordered a new polycarbonate formed windshield from optic armor, this will shave off some good weight too!

I made a new steering column, to reduce weight and stiffen up what I had for a solution before. I machined aluminum inserts to adapt to roller bearings. The tube is 4130 1.5" x 0.035", and the shaft is 4130 3/4" x 0.049". Turned out nice.

20171218_063655.jpg

Wow man! Love taking the next step!

Do you mind me asking why you didn’t remove the floor all together and replace with something lighter?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back