The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1999 eclipse 4g64 motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duzzell115

Probationary Member
Jun 17, 2018
Portsmouth, Virginia
as the title says i have a 1999 eclipse with the 4g64 motor when i shift for example from 2nd gear into 3rd the car itself actually shuts off (lights cut on, on the dash, no powersteering, ect ect) until i put it into gear and press on the gas. Any ideas of what it could be?

Need more info, manual trans I'm assuming?

Does this happen all the time? Only when the car is cold or warmed up? Any mods to the motor?

Need details if you want us to be able to help.
The car be warmed up, only sometimes, no mods to the engine bone stock

Have you tested the ISC? They're prone to failure after this many years, unfortunately they're also NOT cheap on the 99 4G64 so I would highly suggest verifying this is the issue before you just order a new one.

Have you tested the ISC? They're prone to failure after this many years, unfortunately they're also NOT cheap on the 99 4G64 so I would highly suggest verifying this is the issue before you just order a new one.
Whats an ISC exactly??

Idle Speed Controller. It's located on the bottom half of the throttle body and if stuck closed, will cause the car to stall. This would also only happen when the car is warm as well. During a cold startup the FIAV (which is the other mechanism built into the bottom of the throttle body) is open and allows air into the motor when you arent holding the throttle valve open.

Idle Speed Controller. It's located on the bottom half of the throttle body and if stuck closed, will cause the car to stall. This would also only happen when the car is warm as well. During a cold startup the FIAV (which is the other mechanism built into the bottom of the throttle body) is open and allows air into the motor when you arent holding the throttle valve open.
So you do believe its the ISC or the FIAV thats causing the problem?

I believe that it's a possibility and that would be the first item I would test. There are other things that can cause this, the ISC is just the most common.
Ahh okok thankyou ill check that first. Since you mentioned something like that i didnt even bother to think of gettn the codes read so ill try that too

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back