The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS rod knock! Need new motor!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxxyguy

Probationary Member
Mar 31, 2018
Warwick, Rhode_Island
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Hello, I am new here and have been looking everywhere online and feel as though I can find help here. So I’ve recently snagged a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS buyvit has some issues with the engine. Previous owner mention there was an oil pump failure. But right off the bat, I am about 90% sure it has rod knock..just haven’t actually pulled anything apart to see if it is indeed the rod bearings and such but I’m pretty sure it is. Knocks when you start, get louder and faster as you accelerate, and so on. So my intentions are to find another engine for it and swap it out. It has a DOHC 2.0l w/o turbo. I’ve recently gone to a junk yard and looked at and engine in a 97 but I’m pretty sure it had a blown head gasket, so that was a no go. I guess what I am trying to find out is where else could I get an engine from? I’ve heard someone tell me a dodge neon, a Chrysler Sebring. What is my best and cheapest option to do this. I was thinking I could check pick and pulls if there were other cars that had the same engine and maybe I’d come across a decent one. I’ve called a place and asked about rebuilding but they said it’d cost like $3500!! I really need help figuring this out. Please and thank you!

There shouldn't be any reason you should steer away from the 97 motor. If it's got a blown headgasket, so what. Get the motor, buy an upper and lower gasket set, give the motor a refresh and drop it in. You'll learn a lot in the process and you should be good to go.

Your approach to getting a different motor is definitely right though. For as plentiful as 420A motors are, I wouldn't bother if it has a knock. Get another one for sure. Hopefully you got the car cheap - b/c you essentially bought a shell.

There shouldn't be any reason you should steer away from the 97 motor. If it's got a blown headgasket, so what. Get the motor, buy an upper and lower gasket set, give the motor a refresh and drop it in. You'll learn a lot in the process and you should be good to go.

Your approach to getting a different motor is definitely right though. For as plentiful as 420A motors are, I wouldn't bother if it has a knock. Get another one for sure. Hopefully you got the car cheap - b/c you essentially bought a shell.

Well I’m not entirely sure if that was the issue with the 97 motor, it was a car at a pick and pull and unfortunately they didn’t have a key for the car and it didn’t seem to have oil in it or water in the radiator but it was covered in oil so I presumed it was a blown head gasket. I just didn’t want to spend about 300-400 on the engine and find out it had more problems or something. I got my Mitsubishi for real cheap, so even if I can’t do anything with it I could still junk it and make something. But I’m hoping to just find a decent engine that doesn’t need any work and just throw it in and be all set.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back