The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

11 second hx35 1995 GSX build/repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks Macgyver! I'll have to check it out. The surface rubber of the belt is the only thing that got chewed on luckily, the structure of the belt itself is good to go. I'll still be swapping it here soon.

Yesterday I messed with the obd2 port and got my car to connect to link! I believe pin 16 wasn't making good enough contact with the link cable. I also reinstalled the software and driver, so that could have been it. It's been a while since I have touched ecmlink so I'll have to relearn a bit of the tuning process and what to log.

IMG_20180525_120028_443.jpg

Have to do a boost leak test, bolt up my downpipe...again LOL..change the oil and hopefully mess with the tune a little before the track Friday. Super stoked!

Went to the local drag strip last night to start working on the tune more and see what she can do. First run I beat my old record with a 12.734 at 119! My launch was terrible...LOL

IMG_20180601_182408_622.jpg

I showed improvement after every run with the work on the tune as well as my driving and managed a 12.252 at 114...this was my 11.9 or faster run but my clutch decided to start slipping when I got into 4th!!! Bummer!

IMG_20180601_204147_120.jpg

Still had a great time and I'm learning to tune a little. Gonna keep working on it as I'm seeing a bit of knock no matter what I do which is puzzling. She runs good though!

Car is still going strong. Had a few small issues come up but they were easy fixes.

The honeycomb inside the 2g MAF came out which was cool, luckily it didn't get sucked in! The car refused to build boost and ran like dog shit while out of boost like it was in limp mode. This gave me the opportunity to finally switch to the evo8 MAF I planned on running. It was a very easy switch, just had to do a little mafcomp adjusting in link and it's good to go! I was already over running the 2g MAF with the hx35.

IMG_20180616_191659_318.jpg

Also had the wires to the male pigtail side of the knock sensor break off somehow which cause the car to run terribly. Link couldn't communicate with the sensor so it ran off of the minimum timing tables. That was an easy fix as well.

IMG_20180619_164612_336.jpg

Just waiting on the next test and tune day to hit that 11.9 or faster pass!

Last edited:
Alright!

Car is doing great, I'm picking up parts here and there when deals pop up. I've recently bought a ground control coilover setup with koni yellows, a quartermaster twin disc clutch, a nice custom t3 manifold that came with the o2 housing/dump tube and downpipe, mishimoto radiator, a larger intercooler with 3 inch piping, a complete air conditioning set up and I'm also picking up a spare transmission/transfer case/axles here soon.

Going to be going to an hx40 by the end of the year! I just need a 44mm waste gate, speed density setup and the hx40. I'd like to go to a better cam than the hks 272's I'm running now and I'd also like to go to a race intake manifold. After 6500 rpm the car noticeably has a hard time breathing. It is a stroker but I'd still like a strong pull all the way to 7500-8000 which the 40 should give. I'm thinking about going with the .70 ar housing, maybe one of those .82, gotta do more research.

Went to the track on the 21st and ALMOST had my 11.XX run....I put in the evo8 maf and since hadn't really dialed in the car. It wasn't running as hard up top as the last time I went to the track. It was also pretty hot the other night (130* intake temps cooling to 110* at best) Still happy with the results though! 1.7 60 foot on average worn 18 inch street tires! Lol

IMG_20180721_220412_935.jpg

I installed the ground control coilovers the other day, replacing the blown out stock struts I have had since I bought the car. They ride sooooo great, I am very surprised and pleased with how the car feels now. Doesn't look half bad either!
This is only about 1/3 inch down the sleeve. It has a few more inches of lowering capabilities...even like this it's a tad low for my liking. I might raise it or go with a taller spring.

Before:
IMG_20180605_225903_418.jpg

After:
IMG_20180721_230625_448.jpg

IMG_20180722_212659_300.jpg

Just waiting for a few parts to come in and one weekend I'm going to try to do the air conditioning, radiator and the intercooler. Those will be the first thing most likely. I might try to do the clutch too but I'm thinking about having a transmission built so I might hold off for that.

Bad news! First time I’ve ever had to call a tow truck!

No it’s not really that bad honestly. I was driving down the highway, going about 65. I got on it in 5th to go around a car and the car acted like it slipped out of gear, which has never happened so I thought it was odd. Noticed it was sitting at under 1000 rpm like it was idling, pulled it out of 5th...put it back in 5th...car just revs with some crunchy noise. I pulled over and put it in each gear and tried to move, no movement and the car will idle in any gear, I can also rev it freely, just makes crunchy noises....

I’m fairly certain the hub of the clutch disc failed, it’s a Kevlar southbend and I’ve heard of issues similar to this. Good news is the engine isn’t hurt! If it’s just the clutch then I take this as a sign to finally put in the twin disc I bought a while back haha. If a shaft in the transmission is trashed then the spare transmission I got a few weeks go will come to the rescue.

I think something similar to this is my issue:
EF619131-8FEE-4E58-97DE-341ACEECE3D6.jpeg

I just bought a house and I’m in the process of moving so it might be a little bit before I can get to it. The good news is that I now have my own garage to work on my car in so no more trailering it around!!! Either way I see this as the start to the hx40 journey

8149E4AB-3EA8-4E01-AAE5-F5E0B3D654B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got the car going again!

60C05E21-7253-49D8-8AB3-3FF1F3E2DEEE.jpeg

I was right, the hub of the clutch disc failed. The pressure plate and flywheel are in excellent condition still though.

2ADD57D8-089D-4C81-8BF5-C9A1AD1E53E2.png

Installed a quartermaster twin disc and swapped my trans and the thing is SWEET.

F7561BFC-DFAF-4A77-9694-1B8C237EFB5E.jpeg

Shifting is seamless and feel great.
I picked up a 2gb hatch and spoiler as well and put that on, along with (worn) a carbon fiber hood.

Can’t wait to hit the track and run that 11.XXX!!

I am ready for you to hit it also so I'm following along! :thumb:
You really like your QM twin? I have a used one that I haven't had time to put in my profile car yet. The DD needed work so had to put the Red car on the back burner for a while.

March 15 there is a local test and tune I’ll be hitting :hellyeah:

I have only put maybe 5 miles on the car with the twin disc and I’m a huge fan. The engagement is completely different than the southbend that was in it and I really like it, this thing grabs HARD too. Mine is used as well and actually measured under recommended limits for use so I’m going to rebuild it here in a few weeks or when it starts giving me issues.

So far I love it though...the chatter tripped me out the first time I started it and pushed in the clutch ROFL

So I’ve still been having big issues with getting the car to run as hard as I know it can, bought new coils, wires, plugs and a knock sensor. While I was starting all of that I decided I’d check my timing just to make sure I’m set for the test and tune this coming Friday.

Well it jumped timing on the crank, who knows how long ago....not much but enough to make the car run not quite right.

554A4D2C-ECB4-4D6D-ADAA-F78BDAD5A53D.jpeg

I’ve needed a new belt for a bit anyway I’ve just been putting off doing it

D3D74E9B-E6E2-434B-B31D-C7FAB507B358.jpeg

Thanks to some help from fellow dsm peeps I got the new belt on with no issues, timing is much easier than people make it out to be. I’ll admit I was a bit nervous about doing it but it was pretty easy. I initially used the VFAQ method to set the tension which did not work at alllllll. Instead I just set the tensioner pulley with the grande pin still in and then removed the tool, worked perfect.

0808F10C-E3A1-425B-8ED9-2EF7BBBC7A11.jpeg

CED02F2E-DBA4-4043-8396-ECE49BDD49AF.jpeg

I’ll get it all back together in the morning and throw in the new coils and wires. Then time to work on getting my wideband logging on link (I know...)

Also twin disc clutches are not that fun honestly LOL

I can finally call my car an 11 second car! Clutch was slipping pretty hard so I turned boost down to 27 and increased timing (was running the stock 2g timing map) to keep torque down.

Got it done I’m so pumped, so many hours into this freaking car.

880EE8F1-B0BB-4B03-A6A4-13DC6C3A4D7D.jpeg

New clutch discs on their way btw LOL

Update on the carnage LOL

274C422A-C63A-42F2-AE4B-B9A7426C3612.jpeg

8E2D7BBE-F18B-47CF-850B-C7F8142A0B34.jpeg

8051ADED-3F99-498A-B68E-6D72FBC1A803.jpeg

Gonna get this bad boy welded up, gotta clean out the trans and replace the clutch disks. I’ve got maternity leave coming up, I had a baby!

0507BCC5-9682-4EC7-B64C-AE3D3088187D.jpeg

So I’m going to wait until then to do all of that :hellyeah:

Do you mean paternity leave, or did I miss something?

That’s hilarious I didn’t even realize
Definitely paternity leave LOL don’t let the long hair fool ya

Well life happened again and I haven’t touched the car in 10 months...doesn’t seem like it’s been that long at all.

Anyway, local car got parted unfortunately, so I picked up a carbon hatch, jacks stage 1 transmission, fic 2150’s and some knock off bride seats...because why not....

I’m going to get the trans and hatch Friday and swap then on the car Saturday along with new discs for the clutch. Going to have to clean the piss out of the fuel lines/system I’m sure so that will be fun. Car should be going again though ideally by Saturday, I’ll post.

Hope to get it going on the hx40 before it starts getting too hot but that’s a big hope.

Car is back up and running as of Saturday...these transmission swaps get easier and easier LOL

I’ve also decided that it’s time to either paint this thing or refinish the surface/fix imperfections and have it wrapped. Not sure yet what I want to do but I’m a big diy kinda guy so I might respray it myself, don’t think I’ll mess with wrapping the car myself. Going to hold off on installing the carbon hatch until then, the car doesn’t do it justice right now. Paint is pitted/peeled down to metal in spots.

Some pics:

4C96988F-BCEA-4F41-87B1-7F5116724A08.jpeg A58483DE-3C01-4945-8AF8-12403E7BBE99.jpeg EA827386-686B-455B-9679-4EEA5805B0F4.jpeg 5929608A-3A96-4616-A536-672BADF48130.jpeg 21F58505-BE24-4591-8B6C-238D031CAA2A.jpeg A65C4529-0794-4E93-95EB-CF81B2A4B744.jpeg

I will be trying to get that elusive time slip like you as soon as the track opens in a few months, mean time I am just beating up on locals and having fun. I want to tuck a time slip in the console and call it good, just have to GET that time slip I am wanting!
Love the thread, how's the baby now that it has been a year, doing well I hope?

It’s a fun chase for that slip, when I finally touched 11’s I was so stoked. Next goal is 11.5 or faster, shouldn’t be a problem with the new clutch discs. So long as the transmission holds and I cut better 60’ than 2.0 LOL...on the hx40 11.5 should be a cake walk.

Baby is great! Thanks for asking. It’s insane how fast he’s grown and learns, it’s amazing to watch him week by week turn into a new person. Can’t wait to get him turning wrenches one day. Sure loves toy cars and trucks already so I shouldn’t have to worry about it LOL

He will be turning wrenches with you in no time man. Just wait, at 3-4 my grandson is helping work on DSM's :D :thumb:

This will be your son in a couple years, just wait !!! :thumb:
This is my lil grandson Ayden, at 3 1/2, helping his dad pull a 4g63 out of the Talon so Papa can rebuild it! :) I'm so proud of him!!!
Ayden helping pull a 4g63 2-2-2020.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back