The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Help. Looking for a dsm. Few ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTEC_THIS

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Hey guys, I'm selling my 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S, because I'm looking for a car with more potential. I have a few options of what I could do and I'm looking for some experienced feedback from dsm guys.

First of all, I want a GSX (nothing else), But I have a few options which are...

1) Do I buy someone else's tuned gsx running about 350 whp? Do you think I'm buying someone elses project? Am I gonna run into a lot of problems?

2) Do I buy a gsx rolling chasis in mint condition and dump the new engine, bigger turbo, intercooler, downpipes, trans into it? Is it something I can do (a girl) with help from my boyfriend? But we're both basically amatuers when it comes to working on the engine. He's done a engine swap on a crx but that's basically it. Is it something quiet easy to work on?

Sorry for the newb questions....but that's why I put it in this forum. Any feedback is appreciated as well as anybody selling their gsx in great condition.
Thanks! -Keri

Keri,

I think if you're going to buy someone else's modded GSX you'll want to ensure that it was well put together with an emphasis on completeness. For example having a large turbo on stock injectors indicates that things weren't finished off. I know that when I bought mine, many parts were mismatched, but I took the time to go through the car with a fine toothed comb and determine what I could live with and what I couldn't.

In the end, you either want something stock so that you have a strong baseline, or if it's been modded, something that was assembled with time, care and a strong focus on being an all around package. Make sure you do the little things like checking compression, listening for rattles and putting it on a lift to look for any drips. Pull the spark plugs and look for any oil or fouling. Ask them how they're tuning the carand what's been installed. Any issues that you find can be used to negotiate the selling price. Ask for receipts and make sure that the important maintenance was done (timing belt, balance shaft belt, idlers, tensioners, water pump, etc.). A well prepared GSX like mine won't go for cheap, but it would be a strong example of what you're looking for.

If you don't have a great deal of mechanical experience, starting a project car can be daunting, but if you want to learn more about your car than you could ever imagine, it's the way to go. Each way has it's merits but if you start with a great foundation, you'll end up with a very satisfying ride. It all comes down to how far you want to go, what your goals are and how much time and money you're willing to invest.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Andy

P.S. Please do me a favor and stop by Tony's Pizza in Morris Plains and have a slice for me. Midwestern pizza stinks!

If you buy someone elses GSX, unless some 60 yr old lady owned it and it has 10,000 miles, it's a project. These cars require an "Aggressive" maintenance plan. If followed, they will be a joy to own. Knowing whether your car received this treatment prior is most likely not possible. So to avoid headaches, once you find your 97 GSX, take it to an unbiased mechanic and have him look it over with a fine tooth comb. Make sure he charges something, it's in your best interest to pay. If it's modded, you might want to take it an performance shop that can tell you exactly what's in the car. Also look for receipts from the owner. If he had a shop do the work, kudo's.
Since nothing is a gurantee, depending on what you pay for the car and who you purchase it from, buy some drivetrain warantee insurance. Even if it's $1000 for 2 years, it's worth it.

IMO at your experience level I would not buy a rolling chassis. Your relationship will probably be over before you even get the motor running... (jk...it's a stressfull scenario). Unless of course this is a project you plan on working on for the next two years to bring you closer together... But if you plan on driving the car anytime soon, I wouldn't do it...

Unless of course Money is no object... That reduces the stress......

But these cars are not "easy" to work on and can be finicky to say the least.
Not knowing where the car has been or what it has been through is your biggest unknown.
Expect to pay 10K+ for a nice gsx that has been properly modded. But your risk increases with every mod...

Good luck and spend some time reading the threads to see what some of the experiences are. If it were me, I'd try to find one totally stock. Not even a custom air filter...You might pay a little more, but it will be well worth it...
:thumb:

I wouldn't limit yourself to a GSX only, have you looked at a Talon TSi AWD?
Pretty much the same car. And as you got the reply about already, make sure if you are buying a modded car that it was done with care and the person had some knowledge of DSM's. If I were you I would find a stock GSX and learn about DSM's. You will gain a lot buy building the car up by yourself.:dsm: :laser: :talon: :thumb:

As to 95talon_in_ma she mearly said a GSX, didnt specify a year yes, it will be in the 10k plus range for a stock low miles or well modded 2g gsx, but it could also be in the 5k range for a modded 1g that was done well. Like Andy said if all the maintenance is done meticuliously, and upgrades are done complete like turbo, with fuel pump, injectors, fpr, intake pipe plus filter then getting a modded gsx or TSi awd will be your best bet, but if not then go with a stock set-up, and modd it yourself, and be proud that you can say" I made this gsx into a street monster." I wouldnt go with a rolling shell, it is very stressful with out all the tools, and an engine crane. So either go properly modded or stock, it will be your best bet.

Good luck

Dustin

Well I feel stupid, sorry about that 95talon_in_ma, I just read the thread, just didnt sound as though she had a gsx.

Dustin

you could go either way, as long as the car is maintained and (if) built well and correctly.
in my opinion, these are very easy cars to work on. you can have an engine out in 4 hours or less. everything makes perfect sense on them, unlike hondas!

Yea, DSMs get a bad rep. They aren't that bad to work on...
But I guess anything is like that if you haev an idea of what you are doing.

Thanks for all the replies and comments about the car. At least now I have a better idea of what to look for. From what everyone said...I'm guessing I can really go either way I just have to make sure everything checks out and they have all the receipts if I buy someone elses toy. And if I decide to do it, I'll need some time to work on it. Thanks again!

I think the only hard things on a DSM are:
-taking the o2 sensor out
-taking the o2 housing off without dropping the turbo
-putting the water pump pulleys on with the engine in the car

hmm? The front o2 sensor was one of the first things I had to change because you can't have a CEL for smog and I thought it was pretty easy. Just take off the AC fan and unbolt it. I can see though if it was stuck on there real good that it could be a pain.

brute said:
I think the only hard things on a DSM are:
-taking the o2 sensor out
-taking the o2 housing off without dropping the turbo
-putting the water pump pulleys on with the engine in the car

I wasn't able to even get a wrench on it. None of my sockets fit around the top. I had to drop the o2 housing without dropping the turbo. Even then, it wouldn't come off. It seemed almost as if it was the original one from the factory and never had anti-seize on it. After getting it out and punishing it, the o2 sensor looked like this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

brute said:
I wasn't able to even get a wrench on it. None of my sockets fit around the top. I had to drop the o2 housing without dropping the turbo. Even then, it wouldn't come off. It seemed almost as if it was the original one from the factory and never had anti-seize on it. After getting it out and punishing it, the o2 sensor looked like this:

There is a special socket they sell for O2 sensors... It has a hole in the top so the wire doesn't get in the way...
You can spray it up the night before, then go in there with a torch, even a little propane torch will work, heat it up. No gurantees, but if it's gonna come out in one piece, that's how...

i can tell you from personal experience if you buy a rolling chassis you're gonna learn more then you can possibly imagine, but at the same time you're gonna encounter alot of frustration and heartache. i bought a rolling chassis and im thrilled with how it turned out. i cant tell you how many times though i swore i was done or threw wrenches and cursed mitsubishi for ever creating this car. but in the end it was all worth it. of course for the amount of money i have into this car i couldve bought 2 or 3 gsx's by now too, but now i have a car that i can say i built. a fast one at that.

p.s. b16 crx's are fun too. they just need boost......

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back