The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Just sprayed taillights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stock1g4g63

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2003
(was TX) Anaheim, CA, California
Just blacked out my taillights... the centerpiece hasn't been wet-sanded and clear coated yet, which is why it isn't glossy. But the tailligths themself are done. What do you guys think? hehehe, my black on black theme is turning out better than i thought :cool:

10971blackout1.jpg

10971blackout2.jpg

10971blackout3.jpg

it looks good.. if you like that kind of thing. i love the black on black look, but our cars just dont look right with completely black tials, the tails are too much on the assend to hide with tint. unless that of a civic with its small lights etc. i do love the look of tinted, but not blackened out, tails, that i am going to do to mine soon.

how did you sand everything?

it's not as dark as it looks in the pics... it's actually more of a really dark red in the sun... good enough for me. The centerpiece I was actually thinking of getting molded into the rear bumper. I've never seen it done before.

that looks awesome man, im thinking bout doin that to my 1g, i prolly wont go as dark, but that still looks good, how long did it take you to do that?

10971blackout4.jpg

Not long, maybe about an hour in total. I did some minor sanding with high grit sandpaper, and then sprayed REALLY REALLY light coats, letting it dry about 5-10 min between each one.

Am I the only one wondering why you didnt just take off the lights to spray them?

95 Mitsu said:
Am I the only one wondering why you didnt just take off the lights to spray them?
THANK U LOL, i was wondering the exact same thing

i would have just got taillight covers ( and did ) but it looks nice non-the les :thumb: s.

95 Mitsu said:

holy cow batman i never thought of that? :rolleyes:
that is pretty funny though, he must have gotten some overspray on the interior, i bet you guys anything

it looks really good ... but did you see it at night yet with the lights on? It seems like the paint woudld be a little uneven making the tails look really runny / uneven at night .... especially when you hit your brakes. Unless of course you did a lot of sanding down or smoothing out?

Trust me... I took great care in making it even, and it is. :p As far as taking the taillights off, Just call me lazy. And also, the rubber trim around the hatch area had some primer overspray on it from my recent paint job, so I figured I'd hit that too while I'm at it (hence the open trunk). That jackass in the reflection of the bumper wouldn't move while I was taking the picture, he kept following me around, but everytime I turned around, he wasn't there :confused: :D LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back